Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

SSRA Cold air scoop

Does anyone have a SSRA Cold air scoop on their car?

Thanks for any information. I figure to solve hydro problem i can make a plate to block off airflow due to heavy rain

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Block off plate will work. Same as any other CAI system drawing air from under there.

Black
    2002 SS

SLP Blackwing
    sorry can't help

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

I have the SLP cold air induction and lid but I think they are similar. Unless your driving in 2 feet of water I would not worry about it.
    2002 Camaro Z28 Bolt ons, Flowmaster catback w/3" QTP electric cutout, Superchips tuned, Granatelli MAF, SLP cold air induction Lid & filter, ZEX powertune plugs, Taylor 10.4mm wires, 160 T-stat w/fan control, Eibach sportlines & BFG-KDW's on 17" SLP SS rims.

Pewter
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

Yea its similar just little longer and brings the scoop to the front of the bumper
    Here a picture of it.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by nillam1 View Post
    I have the SLP cold air induction and lid but I think they are similar. Unless your driving in 2 feet of water I would not worry about it.
    There are many users on this site who have hydrolocked their stock ls1 by going in a small puddle of water. Even without this mod.. this statement is very very very incorrect

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

is it really worth the risk?? How much gain do ppl really see with this mod over just an aftermarket air lid? I would assume minimal if any...but maybe someone knows for sure??

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    There are many users on this site who have hydrolocked their stock ls1 by going in a small puddle of water. Even without this mod.. this statement is very very very incorrect
    Even a small puddle, I do not see how this is possible. If you say so. What do you mean even without this mod, you mean people are getting hydro lock without the scoop. Wow, I did not think that was possible. I guess I should be more careful. I am keeping mine on, though. I have been in alot of rain and puddles with no problems.
    Last edited by nillam1; 05-17-2009 at 12:03 AM.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 02WS6dream View Post
    is it really worth the risk?? How much gain do ppl really see with this mod over just an aftermarket air lid? I would assume minimal if any...but maybe someone knows for sure??
    GMHTP did a dyno test on just the SSRA scoop about a year and a half ago, I will try to find the article. From what I remembered there were gains.
    Last edited by nillam1; 05-17-2009 at 12:08 AM.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jamesg1750 View Post
    Yea its similar just little longer and brings the scoop to the front of the bumper
    Here a picture of it.

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Holy crap it sticks out! Yeah it's definately longer than the SLP scoop, my bad. My SLP cold air is half that size, that is why I cant see it sucking water way up there.
    Last edited by nillam1; 05-17-2009 at 12:11 AM.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Even a small puddle, I do not see how this is possible. If you say so. What do you mean even without this mod, you mean people are getting hydro lock without the scoop. Wow, I did not think that was possible. I guess I should be more careful. I am keeping mine on, though. I have been in alot of rain and puddles with no problems.
    Check out Dr. Crash, Eric1987 any I can give you phone numbers of many people locally that have did this, WITHOUT this system.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

QUOTE from FAST TOYS "As other people have said, generally, rain and water is not a problem. The only time it is a problem is if you hit a very deep puddle (deep enough to immerse the bottom of the kit) at a high enough speed to force water vertically up the duck, overwhelm the air filter and get injected into the motor. It's very unlikely but "possible" so we advise customers of that in the advertisments and instructions."
    My statement is not incorrect. You should try reading the thread in bolt on section.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

I think your very very very very very very incorrect, correcting me!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

I think your very very very very very very incorrect, correcting me!
    If you dont believe me look up the threads.

Want some phone numbers?????

Ask anyone who reads most of the threads...

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

If you dont believe me look up the threads.

Want some phone numbers?????

Ask anyone who reads most of the threads...
    I dont beleive you , I also dont want phone numbers to people who most likely abuse their cars. I'm no physicist but I do not think that water can be splashed from my tires to up inside my intake as easy as you suggest. If this were so common it would be happenning to alot more than a couple people. I am not worried about hydrolock at all anymore! I started a thread about hydrolock, one person responded that 1987 guy but he will not describe the weather conditions or circumstances leading to his hydrolock.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

^^You don't have to believe him. You also don't have to be a dick about not believing him.

In the 10 years I've been on this board have read many threads about engines getting hydrolocked while using the Fast Toys setup, which is similar to the SLP.
    I had contemplated getting one myself, but with the heavy rains here in Florida I changed my mind.
    All you need is the right puddle for it to happen.

I might add that Joshie isn't in the habit of throwing bullshit out in the tech section of this board. He always tries to give expert assistance & good advice, & has been a help to a great many here at LS1.com.
    Lighten up dude.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    ^^You don't have to believe him. You also don't have to be a dick about not believing him.

In the 10 years I've been on this board have read many threads about engines getting hydrolocked while using the Fast Toys setup, which is similar to the SLP.
    I had contemplated getting one myself, but with the heavy rains here in Florida I changed my mind.

I might add that Joshie isn't in the habit of throwing bullshit out in the tech section of this board. He always tries to give expert assistance & good advice, & has been a help to a great many here at LS1.com.
    Lighten up dude.
    How am I being a dick? I just doubt that it can happen as easy as the few people who say it can.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post

Lighten up dude.
    Thanks bro

Sometimes I get bent out of shape about it too. Its easier for me to piss someone off and hope they listen then to have to help them later when the worst has happened.... kinda hence the ink. lol

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

I would not get the ssra for a d/d but if its not and barely driven then i think it might be worth the risk

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

Thanks bro

Sometimes I get bent out of shape about it too. Its easier for me to piss someone off and hope they listen then to have to help them later when the worst has happened.... kinda hence the ink. lol
    You did not piss me off or I would have called names back! LOL, I know you mean well I just got bent out of shape when you very very veried me. The one guy who responded to my HYDROLOCK thread admitted to doing donuts in huge puddles. That is not enough to sway my opinion!

Thread Information