Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

squeling brakes!!

What causes the brakes to squeal? I just changed all the pads and the front rotors and they're squealing like crazy!! Any ideas?? oh yeah, this is on my grand am btw. Im not sure if the pads are on correctly meaning the little tab that lets you know the pads are too worn are on the outside i think..is that correct?

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

the rotors will probably squeal until you get a few stops on them to get a good surfaced. just stop regular a few times to make sure everything is tight and then hit them hard a few times to cycle them in. also, make sure you put anti-squeal (and PLENTY of it) on the back of the pads. I put cross drilled and slotted rotors with hawk hps pads and they were noisy as hell the first few miles, but then they quieted down.

Sounds like you have the pads in correctly, so if that stuff doesnt fix it, you probably either have something caught between the pad and the rotor (a small rock, some dirt, etc.) or the pads are not very good quality/ they are defective. You could try letting the brakes cool and then hosing them down with a little brake cleaner to get any crud out of there.

Hope this helps
    Jim

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

Yes, the wear indicators should go outside.

Brake squeal is most commonly attributed to high frequency oscillations when the pads start to vibrate as they contact the rotor. Usually a paste or anti-squeal compound or even an anti-squeal shim is applied to the backside (Caliper side) of the pads. Another possible cause is incorrect pad material, for the type of rotor. Softer pads vs Semi metallic, etc. etc.

Brake dust can also contribute to vibration or squeal. Rotors should be finished with a slightly rough surface, smooth rotors or rotor with anti corrosion coating can contribute to squeal. Check the wear indicators to make sure they are not bent in. Should be parallel to about 1/16 to 1/32 inch above the top of the rivets or bonding material, depending on type of pad.

Also (thanks to jimbo98z for reminding me) Some Hi-Po or aftermarket brake kits (if this is the case) require a specific break-in to set or season the rotors, and check for any foreign material that may be caught between the pad/rotor.
    Last edited by RainMan; 12-29-2005 at 05:36 PM.

99 Firebird Formula

You just need to get some backing for the pads.

Go to autozone and get a can of Brake Quiet. It is a tacky spray. Remove pads, with friction material facing down on clean surface. Wipe off the back of the pads (since theyve been on the car already). Spray with Brake Quiet, set for 10 mins, reinstall. Voila.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

thanks everyone.

Thread Information