Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

squeal from engine bay

This is a discussion on squeal from engine bay within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Thanks alot, I will disconnect that sucker so I don't melt any metal lol. I guess it doesn't hurt to ...

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Thanks alot, I will disconnect that sucker so I don't melt any metal lol.

I guess it doesn't hurt to buy a new alternator. I mean, my stingers for my stereo system hold a charge for about 2-3 minutes with the music on low and the car off. If the stingers are in good condition than that must be the alternator not pulling enough power. Plus the interior lights go dim with the bass jumping.

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    My grand prix alt is making some noise and I would like yo fix this. Is there a howto perhaps? Never done anything like this.
    Probably no "how to" articles around here. It seems most people aren't into that anymore and would just rather replace the whole thing. Kind of sad considering they are very simple devices with basically just diodes, brushes and bearings to replace. About $25 in parts. Very easy to do. I'm sure the parts are out there for your grandprix, my father rebuilt the alternator in his 1991 chevy pickup a couple years back, and then had to do his 2002 chevy pickup alternator as well.
    I still do it quite often for numbers matching type restorations on alternators and starters, and even keep my eyes peeled for good cores at swap meets, some of the more particular cases are getting harder to find. Funny if you walk into a chain store like Autozone or Oreily's, you get strange looks from the counter people when you ask for rebuild kits. I go to Napa and they have what I need or can get it in a day, without all the strange looks. Mostly middle aged men working there that already know exactly what I'm doing.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Probably no "how to" articles around here. It seems most people aren't into that anymore and would just rather replace the whole thing. Kind of sad considering they are very simple devices with basically just diodes, brushes and bearings to replace. About $25 in parts. Very easy to do. I'm sure the parts are out there for your grandprix, my father rebuilt the alternator in his 1991 chevy pickup a couple years back, and then had to do his 2002 chevy pickup alternator as well.
    I still do it quite often for numbers matching type restorations on alternators and starters, and even keep my eyes peeled for good cores at swap meets, some of the more particular cases are getting harder to find. Funny if you walk into a chain store like Autozone or Oreily's, you get strange looks from the counter people when you ask for rebuild kits. I go to Napa and they have what I need or can get it in a day, without all the strange looks. Mostly middle aged men working there that already know exactly what I'm doing.
    There's a shop right down the street from where I work, says they specialize in rebuilding alternators, might ask em for a quote, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    There's a shop right down the street from where I work, says they specialize in rebuilding alternators, might ask em for a quote, thank you!
    No problem. If you have an alternator/generator place that rebuilds nearby, I'd bet you probably have a place that will do water pumps too. I got into rebuilding those in the 80's and 90's when I was big into V8 Vega's and Monza's. They used a special short water pump with a threaded boss on top that everyone stopped carrying. So it was rebuild original stuff only. Thankfully they used the same guts on the inside as most SBC stuff so they were cake to refurbish and put back into service. Now I'm doing it for date coded OEM water pumps, never thought it would come to that, lol.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Thank god for eBay nowadays. I got a nice new Delco one, 160 amp for just over 100 bucks. Ws6store had new ones for over 300. Check ebay and see what they got.
    2014 Camaro: Check. 2SS: Check. 1LE: Check. 6 Speed manual? CHECK

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I bought mine from Checkers. Got the lifetime warranty. Good thing I did. I had to replace mine. That is two stories in itself. I installed a capacitor. Made a world of difference in both the alternator and the system. I will post my sig to give you an idea of what i have done to mine stereo wise. No dimming, no draining. Cheapest cap Fry's sold...
    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Try roasting your crow. It'll be easier to get down.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I like grilling mine with a nice brown sugar based rub

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Good to hear you fixed your car.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information