Scooch

Question Squeaky serpintine belt

My serpentine belt just started to squeak at idle. Should I replace it or get some "stop squeak" type stuff??

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Insure it is properly aligned and tightened. If that is all ok and she still squeeks...replace it.
    Spraying "stop squeeky" shit all over it will be cause for your execution by being buried up to your neck...honey smeared all over your face and in your ears.........
    next to a fire ant bed.

Scooch
    Thanks Sarge, i'll replace it. Please no ants!

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

If you still have the problem after belt swap then more than likely it's your idler pulley and it needs to be replaced. Had mine start squeaking before 30K miles. The stocker is around $15 at auto parts store but I opted for anaftermarket billet aluminum pulley with replaceable bearing - the stock style idler bearing is NOT replaceable.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Yep, if it's not one of the two belts, it's gotta be that idler pulley. It can get quite noisy after a few years use. If it's the idler pulley, get an aftermarket one like 1QuikWS6 did.

Scooch
    Thanks for the feedback! It doesn't start squeeking until its been running for a while. When its cold, its quiet. It rained like mad here a week ago or so and thats when it started, maybe the pully bearings got water, then dried out? This is all new to me as I have been driving an 84 T/A and 79 T/A for the past 10yrs.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Allthough I guess it's possible that the bearing got water in it - I would say it's highly unlikely due to it's high position on the engine and the fact that it is a sealed bearing. There is another idler pulley on lower DS of engine between WP and alternator that could possible be giving you the noise - but I haven't heard of many having problems with this one (mine is still OK).

sonnyred
    Water pump?

Red
    1999 Camaro Z28

I got tired of my car squeaking so I started pulling out the idler and tensioner pulleys. All of them had bone dry bearings. My car has 84000 miles on it. They don't have to get water in there. They just dry out eventually. You can see where the backs of the bearings are streaked from old grease that leaked out.

I gently pryed off the bearing cap/cover/seal whatever you call it and cleaned it out and packed it with wheel bearing grease. Then I put the seal back on and reinstalled the pulleys. No more squeak. I wish I had pulled them off 2 years ago.

The only thing is after I put them back on some of the grease came out and slung around a little. Maybe I put too much in.

By the way it is very easy to get these pulleys off and on.

Scooch
    Turned out it was the a/c pully and tensioner. Both dried out. love this board, learn so much nowadays. Thanks for the feedback!!

Blue
    1999 Formula

The AC tensioner pull is what is squeaking at idle and low rpm on my car everyone said the idler pull i said the tensioner tried the idler pull and wasnt it waiting on the tensioner pull the come in cause itsa a dealer only part

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

check the belt by spraying something like rust penetrant on it while the car is running, if the squeek stops its the belt if it doesnt its a pulley. check for proper tension as well. chances are the belt needs to be replaced. they are easy.

Thread Information