Thread: Squeaky Noise

Blacki
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Squeaky Noise

When I bought my 02 T/A about a year ago I had to change the shocks because they were really bad, well I wasn’t aware of this site so I went to my nearest pep boys and they put some Monroe shocks and struts well when I found this site I seen that wasn’t a good idea, well now they are squeaking really bad and I was wanting to know if there are any places under the front end to grease, I looked when I changed my oil a week ago but couldn’t really see any spots so any help or suggestion in this matter would help and I mean something other than changing to shock and struts again, will get to that though but just not now.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Start with some silicone spray. When you are under the car, spray some silicone spray on the spring isolators(between top of spring and body mount). They are exposed to the elements and dry/rot out. If the noise goes away, there's the culprit. Inspect the isolators for cracks as well and inspect all your bushings for said cracks as you might need a bushing replacement. Keep us posted.

Blacki
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Ok thanks for the info I just went buy some silicone spray and I am fixing to go change my head light to the euro style lights I have a HID kit for both low and fogs but I have a problem with my battery gage fluctuating to much so I don’t want to put the HID kits in and then they burn out would be pissed to when I am under their ill pull the tires off and give the spring isolators a good spraying and also check the bushing thanks for the help also if you have any idea about the battery thing that would also be helpful something to know about that is the alternator is new along with the wiring harness for the alternator and it really only goes down when I hit a somewhat big bump any thoughts on this??

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Could possibly be a loose ground somewhere. Keep us posted.

Blacki
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Hey cammed I was installing my lights and for some reason I don't know why but I wanted to take my battery completely of so when I did the positive kept spinning inside the terminal so I pulled it all the way out and the lil piece that you screw into came out my question is do you think that could be the cause of my battery Gage fluctuation?? And I didn't have time to check the squeaky shocks yet hopefully tomorrow

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by superhuman85 View Post
    Hey cammed I was installing my lights and for some reason I don't know why but I wanted to take my battery completely of so when I did the positive kept spinning inside the terminal so I pulled it all the way out and the lil piece that you screw into came out my question is do you think that could be the cause of my battery Gage fluctuation?? And I didn't have time to check the squeaky shocks yet hopefully tomorrow
    That could cause the issue. I have replaced batteries on GM cars that had either no-start or electrical power loss while driving. Is the battery a Delco? They are known for terminals separating from the battery case.

Blacki
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Hey cammed I bought a new battery and installed it earlier and turns out the gage is still fluctuating and it did it somewhat right away this time you said to check the grounds any special way to do that meaning any tips on how you would do it? Please let me know so I can get to work on putting my HID kit on thanks

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

How often is the gauge fluctuating? I know the gauge will drop a little when the fans come on and when you run accessories like A/C.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Your voltage regulator could be going out on the alternator, and/or the alt could be going bad.

If you know how to take the alternator off, you can take it up to the autoparts store and they will test it for free.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I agree on taking the alternator to be tested out. The gauge drops some voltage when the radiator fans turn on.

Blacki
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Hey thanks for all the feedback maybe I should have mentsion if this helps that the Gage goes down somewhat past the line it shouldn't but when I give it gas it goes back to in-between middle and last line especially if I hit a somewhat big bump, another thing the alternator is somewhat new I bought it from O'reilly's for like $160 if this helps any. If you still say to test the alt I'll pull it off next time I am off also if I pull the alt off I prolly will change the belts and want to know while I am doing that should I change anything else like pullys or anything?? Belts squeak bad when it rains outside

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Those alternators are remanufactured garbage. They should have given Ty a lifetime warrant y with it, so if it is bad, it shouldn't cost you anything.

Might be time for a new belt. Is it cracking? When was it replaced last?

Blacki
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Ok since you say that the alternator is remanufactured garbage what alt would you suggest I get to replace this on? Also I was under the car the other day and didn't really see any cracks and don't know when it was last changed, I was thinking about going with Goodyear gator back should I change any pulleys while I am doing the belt, car has 107k miles??

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

it can't hurt. If you have the funds might as well. They have been on for 107k miles after all.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I'd go with the gatorback. Oem alts are expensive, so if you buy a brand new one, its going to cost you around double the price of a remanned one. You don't have to buy a new one, but see if they'll exchange it for you. If your going to replace some pulleys, I'd start with the tensioner and tensioner pulley.
    Last edited by KMdef9; 03-26-2011 at 05:35 AM.

Thread Information