Thread: Squeaks!

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Squeaks!

I few weeks ago I installed UMI 3 point SFC's. Driving home this week from work i started noticing squeaks. They are getting worse as i drive and happen when the weight of the car shifts from rear to front and front to rear. The SFC's are weld in so could this be what is making the noise? I was thinking it might be there the control arms connect with the rear of the sfc. Please give me some input. . .

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Man this is a pretty broad question, and I wish I could help you more, but I don't have SFCs installed on my car, so I couldn't tell ya either way.

If I had to guess, with SFCs holding the car tighter together under weight transfer, anything that may have a binding potential, such as extremely little clearance between metal and rubber, I could see making a squeek.

Is it high pitched, low pitched? You said front-to-rear and rear-to-front weight transfer so I'm taking it, that this happens under braking and acceleration? Does it get worse or better during heavier braking or heavier acceleration?

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

it could be unrelated. But if you want to try something, then loosen the rear control arm mount at the SFC. Jounce the suspension up and down a few times and then retighten the bolts as tight as you can.
    Of course you want to do this with the suspension loaded.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Ill try retightening and its a high pitched sound and it doesnt happen under decel with breaks only when a gear down and there is a weight transfer caused by the rear slowing

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

Quote Originally Posted by davidz28 View Post
    Ill try retightening and its a high pitched sound and it doesnt happen under decel with breaks only when a gear down and there is a weight transfer caused by the rear slowing
    just an idea, but have you looked at your tranny/ motor mounts, just thinking if your chassis is stiffer (with subframe connectors) and the squeaks happen upon accel and decel of the drive-train that's when your putting the most force on them.

You might be able to get a clue to this possibility if you can safely support the car and get under it and have someone start it and put it in gear with the e-brake on; automatics shift from drive to reverse- excessive movement in bushings should be obvious, Manuals slowly let out clutch in 1st and then reverse letting enough clutch out to feel the motor bog but not stall again excessive movement in bushings should be obvious.

Thread Information