Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 101
Like Tree1Likes

sputtering in low rpm range

This is a discussion on sputtering in low rpm range within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by herculesrider1 Ok, have been following this thread and it sounds like every symptom I have. Pacesetter ceramic ...

  1. #81
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    Ok, have been following this thread and it sounds like every symptom I have. Pacesetter ceramic coated headers, no cats, exhaust cutout. 1153 code at Advance Auto...bank 2 sensor 1 Heated Sensor Insufficient Switching...spitting, sputtering at low rpm, runs like a banshee at WOT. Let me get this correct.... REPLACE THE O2 SENSORS BANK 1 SENSOR 1, BANK 2 SENSOR 1 and this will stop the rough running as long as there are no exhaust leaks? Correct?
    if you are talking about code PO153 the sensor is the passenger side upstream. If the wiring is fine and the sensor is bad it should solve your problem. It doesn't hurt to change them both if they pretty old but it is up to you.

  2. #82
    Member herculesrider1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    504

    Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

    Yes Jay, they are both 13 yrs old and have never been replaced as far as I know. I have seen PO153 and P1153 that refer to the same Bank 2 sensor 1 Heated Oxygen Sensor Insufficient Switching code. Went around the back of a restaurant after eating inside, and they had a drive through speed bump ridge that I drug the underside of my car on. Perhaps I created a leak unawares.... or the passenger side upstream o2 sensor got "lazy" around the same time I drug...I don't know. Thanks man.

  3. #83
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    Maybe the impact jarred the sensor?

  4. #84
    Member herculesrider1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    504

    Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

    Yeah Rich that is a distinct possibility. I just had my exhaust cutout tightened up...the four bolts that held it on were gone except for one, but while under it, I noticed the O2 sensors were tight and not loose at all. They had been spliced, so they are not original equipment. From what I have read, the only reason to splice would be for a NON OEM replacement. So, I have no idea what is on it. At any rate, it is an intermittent issue. Today, I started her up, let it idle til I saw the temp gauge move, as I always do, took off, and she ran perfectly. Seems like if a sensor was bad, it would always be bad, not bad one day and good the next....????

  5. #85
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    Yeah Rich that is a distinct possibility. I just had my exhaust cutout tightened up...the four bolts that held it on were gone except for one, but while under it, I noticed the O2 sensors were tight and not loose at all. They had been spliced, so they are not original equipment. From what I have read, the only reason to splice would be for a NON OEM replacement. So, I have no idea what is on it. At any rate, it is an intermittent issue. Today, I started her up, let it idle til I saw the temp gauge move, as I always do, took off, and she ran perfectly. Seems like if a sensor was bad, it would always be bad, not bad one day and good the next....????
    Spliced sensor is no no for me, specially the o2s. This could be your issue. I was going to go that route and I was warned about it. I bought the bosch 13111 and had no issues in the past year.

  6. #86
    Member herculesrider1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    504

    Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

    May be unrelated, but still when it rains, it starts missing badly, and ultimately throws a code. Question: why does it clear up when the SES light comes on the dash? I was driving by the garage that does alot of my work and it had just started raining, and it threw a code. I pulled her in and he hooked the analyzer up and it showed bank 2 sensor 1 O2 sensor insufficient switching....he continued analyzing and then it came up cylinder 6 dead miss. Here again, when the codes were cleared, of course, they came back in, but when the SES light came back on, the missing stopped again....????? Scratching my head over this one.... By the way, I have purchased new ACDelco Iridium plugs and have some MSD 8.5mm wires on the way. Could replacing the plugs and wires have a positive effect on the Bank 2 sensor 1 O2 sensor???

  7. #87
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,505

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    what is the code(s) that pop up? Some codes have multiple issues.

  8. #88
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    ^^this. I know when I had a multiple misfire, it was a loose spark plug wire. I pushed it back onto the plug until it clicked and the miss went away.

  9. #89
    Member herculesrider1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    504

    Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    what is the code(s) that pop up? Some codes have multiple issues.
    The code that popped up was P1153, heated O2 Sensor Insufficient switching bank 2 sensor 1. I replaced the plugs and wires because another code came up cylinder 6 dead miss and it was needed anyway due to mileage, but still get the sputtering and missing at low rpm. I have cleaned the MAF with CRC MAF sensor cleaner. It throws the SES light every time I drive it, so, I think I will be replacing the O2 sensors....should I go back with OEM's or I'm open to suggestions...Thanks in advance....

  10. #90
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    The code that popped up was P1153, heated O2 Sensor Insufficient switching bank 2 sensor 1. I replaced the plugs and wires because another code came up cylinder 6 dead miss and it was needed anyway due to mileage, but still get the sputtering and missing at low rpm. I have cleaned the MAF with CRC MAF sensor cleaner. It throws the SES light every time I drive it, so, I think I will be replacing the O2 sensors....should I go back with OEM's or I'm open to suggestions...Thanks in advance....
    I have bosch 13111's and loop the extra wiring around the engine mounts (if you don't have headers). You can then use them if you upgrade to headers in the future. Did you make sure the spark plug wires clicked twice at the coils? If they are not all the way in it will cause misfires.

  11. #91
    Stang Killer TransAmFanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Harvey, La
    Age
    33
    Posts
    294

    Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

    I checked all the plugs wires and coil packs when I had this problem, and was told to check the 02 sesors,and only one was bad, changed it, and never had any more problems with the sputtering or anything. Again thanks a lot to everyone on here. They are a big help.
    SLP LT's, ORY, Flowmaster Catback, MTI Clear Lid, TB bypass, LS6 Intake,PP TB, Ram Air Mod, Tune, 3:73's, Deleted Cats, Deleted EGR/AIR

  12. #92
    Member herculesrider1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    504

    Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    I have bosch 13111's and loop the extra wiring around the engine mounts (if you don't have headers). You can then use them if you upgrade to headers in the future. Did you make sure the spark plug wires clicked twice at the coils? If they are not all the way in it will cause misfires.
    I already have some Pacesetter ceramic coated headers installed. I think I will go back with some Denso's and the factory connectors to get rid of the splices that were done. Hopefully the previous owner didn't cut and splice upstream of the connector. I'll have to look underneath to make sure, but would rather have the factory connectors and OEM style O2 sensors and get rid of the splices. I checked all the coil packs and plug connectors and they were clicked the way they should be. So, I assume the Bosch 13111's have a longer pigtail which is why you loop it around the engine mounts? The ACDelco O2 sensors are around $100 each and the Denso O2 sensors are around $70 each. Are the ACDelco's so much better that it would justify spending that much more money? Has anyone used Denso's and had any problems? They are not ACDelco's but are the same "type" as the factory sensors.....
    Last edited by herculesrider1; 07-29-2013 at 01:30 PM.

  13. #93
    Member herculesrider1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    504

    Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

    I just found a website that sells O2 Sensors, specifically Denso's. The Drivers side is $65 and the passenger side is $42???? They are both pre-cat sensors but different sides. Why the different price? Is that right? Has anyone else paid different prices for different sides??? Has anyone ever used Walker O2 Sensors?
    Last edited by herculesrider1; 07-29-2013 at 02:29 PM.

  14. #94
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,505

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Haven't used them. They should be the same price seeing how they are the same sensor for OEM.

  15. #95
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    Never heard of different prices for 02s per side. Strange.


    extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

  16. #96
    Member herculesrider1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    504

    Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Never heard of different prices for 02s per side. Strange.
    I just called the retailer at OxygenSensors.com and asked why the difference in pricing and he could not tell me anything. He did say the length of the wiring pigtail was different but $25 difference?? I also asked him about the Walker brand O2 sensors and he said he has been shipping them all over the world for 6 years with no complaints. He said one sensor had 16" leads and the other sensor has 11" leads....must be some expensive wiring!!!!!

  17. #97
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    I already have some Pacesetter ceramic coated headers installed. I think I will go back with some Denso's and the factory connectors to get rid of the splices that were done. Hopefully the previous owner didn't cut and splice upstream of the connector. I'll have to look underneath to make sure, but would rather have the factory connectors and OEM style O2 sensors and get rid of the splices. I checked all the coil packs and plug connectors and they were clicked the way they should be. So, I assume the Bosch 13111's have a longer pigtail which is why you loop it around the engine mounts? The ACDelco O2 sensors are around $100 each and the Denso O2 sensors are around $70 each. Are the ACDelco's so much better that it would justify spending that much more money? Has anyone used Denso's and had any problems? They are not ACDelco's but are the same "type" as the factory sensors.....
    If you have headers you don't need to wrap the cables around the engine mounts. If have stock manifolds and I can then wrap them around the engine mounts. I might get headers in the future.

  18. #98
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    I just called the retailer at OxygenSensors.com and asked why the difference in pricing and he could not tell me anything. He did say the length of the wiring pigtail was different but $25 difference?? I also asked him about the Walker brand O2 sensors and he said he has been shipping them all over the world for 6 years with no complaints. He said one sensor had 16" leads and the other sensor has 11" leads....must be some expensive wiring!!!!!
    never heard of different prices for the same brand of O2 sensors. They are both the same length.

  19. #99
    Member herculesrider1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    504

    Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

    [/COLOR][/I][/B]
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    never heard of different prices for the same brand of O2 sensors. They are both the same length.
    I just went to Napa Auto Parts and picked up two Denso O2 sensors for $51 a piece. The more I shop, the better price I find. Hallelujah!!!!

  20. #100
    Member herculesrider1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    504

    Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

    Well, the Denso's were way too short. Had to take them back to Napa and get my money back. I looked online for some Bosch 13111's, and found them for $39 each with free shipping on eBay. Got them lickety split and installed them with plenty of lead length, therefore no need to splice or extend....basically a plug and play application. It died once after installing them, but after that one time, it never did it again. My gas mileage had decreased to 13mpg, but after replacement of the O2 sensors, my around town mpg went back up to 20mpg. Installed them about two weeks ago and have had practically a new car since. Thanks to everyone who helped point me in the right direction!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Sputtering
    By SS201 in forum General Help
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 01-01-2011, 08:36 PM
  2. Sputtering at low rpm
    By richard head in forum General Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-28-2007, 10:09 AM
  3. sputtering
    By dafizzman1 in forum General Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-01-2007, 05:53 PM
  4. Sputtering...
    By 01RaptorTA in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 03:22 PM
  5. sputtering
    By 99PTA in forum GM Trucks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-20-2007, 01:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •