Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

sputtering in low rpm range

This is a discussion on sputtering in low rpm range within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Ok swapped the old sensor on the passenger with the old sensor from the driver side(both front sensors) and the ...

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Ok swapped the old sensor on the passenger with the old sensor from the driver side(both front sensors) and the car ran fine, now its throwing a p1153 code and the p0158 code, I know the158 code is the rear o2, so I was pleased, let it sit for about 35 mins and went to start it up again, and it sputtered a little bit, but then ran fine.....
    SLP LT's, ORY, Flowmaster Catback, MTI Clear Lid, TB bypass, LS6 Intake,PP TB, Ram Air Mod, Tune, 3:73's, Deleted Cats, Deleted EGR/AIR

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

good to hear you got some progress. PO1153 comes up as well when you have an exhaust leak. Make sure the sensors are tight and there is no leak in the exhaust manifolds.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Ok going to tighten up the bolts on the headers, also i do know that i have some tiny leaks on the welds on the Y pipe. Wanted to mention the i cleared the code and and it never popped up again, but threw a P0154 ctk no activity bank 2 sensor 1, but the car is running fine now.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Ok sounds good. You need to buy brand new sensors for the upstream ones. I believe you only bought one brand new sensor. On the mean time i will swap the good rear o2 sensor and with bank 2 sensor 1.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok sounds good. You need to buy brand new sensors for the upstream ones. I believe you only bought one brand new sensor. On the mean time i will swap the good rear o2 sensor and with bank 2 sensor 1.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Sounds like you're close to solving the mystery.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Oh yeah goat really close, going to buy a new sensor when i get my next check, now all i need to do is fix some small knick nack things(turn signals and new bulbs )

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Took the car to work last night, and im pleased to say that the car ran great, except for when i made a pit stop at the local gas station a few miles down the road, car sputtered for a second and ran great after. read the codes when i got to work and the code p0155 popped, also p01153. i do hear a small tick coming from under the car while it is running, to me that sounds like an exhaust leak. going to get under the car while it is running to try and pin point where the ticking is coming from. will keep yall updated. Also want to thank everyone for the help. it is greatly appreciated.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

That's what we're here for.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

yup, glad is working out better. Make sure the tick you hear is not an arching spark plug and/or spark plug wire. Look around the headers and look for black marks, it usually means you have a leak.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Yeah i know goat, but gratitude goes a long way ya know. and jay now that you mention it, i did see black marks under the car where they welded my headers onto my y pipe....gonna inspect that a little more later on in the day.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmFanatic View Post
    Yeah i know goat, but gratitude goes a long way ya know. and jay now that you mention it, i did see black marks under the car where they welded my headers onto my y pipe....gonna inspect that a little more later on in the day.
    Do you know if they removed the O2 sensors from the headers prior to welding?

If they didn't they fried them.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Do you know if they removed the O2 sensors from the headers prior to welding?

If they didn't they fried them.
    ^^this

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Does anyone know if the 'vette O2 sensors are shorter than the OE sensors for F-bodies? My SES light popped on today, for no activity B1S1. For all the good things I say about Hooker LTs, one bad thing is the O2 bung is welded on the outside of the header, and the sensor hits the floorboard/framerail under hard acceleration. Now the light. I'd like to replace it with a sensor that's a bit shorter. I've had these headers for almost 7 years now, so it isn't like it happened the first few months.

I think my motor mounts are weak now as well, making the problem worse. 13 years old for those and the sensors, time to replace them all.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Does anyone know if the 'vette O2 sensors are shorter than the OE sensors for F-bodies? My SES light popped on today, for no activity B1S1. For all the good things I say about Hooker LTs, one bad thing is the O2 bung is welded on the outside of the header, and the sensor hits the floorboard/framerail under hard acceleration. Now the light. I'd like to replace it with a sensor that's a bit shorter. I've had these headers for almost 7 years now, so it isn't like it happened the first few months.

I think my motor mounts are weak now as well, making the problem worse. 13 years old for those and the sensors, time to replace them all.
    I believe they are close to the same lenght

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Alright thanks. I'll do some checking the next couple weeks or so, and will post any results I find. If anyone has any results before I post mine, please go ahead.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Alright thanks. I'll do some checking the next couple weeks or so, and will post any results I find. If anyone has any results before I post mine, please go ahead.
    I can take some pictures or measure them for you. I still have OEM's rear o2 installed.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    I can take some pictures or measure them for you. I still have OEM's rear o2 installed.
    Thanks. I still have the OE sensors, so they are still stock length. How long are yours? Measured from the bung to where the wire comes out.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks. I still have the OE sensors, so they are still stock length. How long are yours? Measured from the bung to where the wire comes out.
    It measures 2 5/8"

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    It measures 2 5/8"
    That's about what mine are. So, it looks like I need to replace my motor mounts and trans mount. I've noticed more then normal gearshift movement when I get on it. Just moves more than it used to. 13 year old mounts will do that. They aren't broken, but I think that is why that O2 is going, it is hitting under load. Wonder how much of a pain it will be to replace the mounts with the headers.

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Ok, have been following this thread and it sounds like every symptom I have. Pacesetter ceramic coated headers, no cats, exhaust cutout. 1153 code at Advance Auto...bank 2 sensor 1 Heated Sensor Insufficient Switching...spitting, sputtering at low rpm, runs like a banshee at WOT. Let me get this correct.... REPLACE THE O2 SENSORS BANK 1 SENSOR 1, BANK 2 SENSOR 1 and this will stop the rough running as long as there are no exhaust leaks? Correct?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information