Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

sputtering in low rpm range

This is a discussion on sputtering in low rpm range within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; +1 agree, fix first then update the rest if needed....

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

+1 agree, fix first then update the rest if needed.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

ok changed the plugs out on the drivers side(even though I didn't need to) and replaced the #2 with a good ngk plug that came from the number 1 cylinder, it was in good condition, started the car, and ran fine for a few mins, then started idling rough again, so I decided to take the car on a few drives, car ran good at WOT, but at low rpm still sputtered and hesitated, I didn't replace the plug wire yet, but it did throw the same code P0302 misfire cylinder #2, after driving it around for a few mins last night, the car ran completely fine......I don't understand kind of weird lol. Oh and it also threw P0158 I think, don't have the code reader in front of ne atm. I know that code is for the 02 sensor heating or something like that. Will post something more when I get home. Oh and HAPPY NEW YEAR YALL.

- - - Updated - - -

ok changed the plugs out on the drivers side(even though I didn't need to) and replaced the #2 with a good ngk plug that came from the number 1 cylinder, it was in good condition, started the car, and ran fine for a few mins, then started idling rough again, so I decided to take the car on a few drives, car ran good at WOT, but at low rpm still sputtered and hesitated, I didn't replace the plug wire yet, but it did throw the same code P0302 misfire cylinder #2, after driving it around for a few mins last night, the car ran completely fine......I don't understand kind of weird lol. Oh and it also threw P0158 I think, don't have the code reader in front of ne atm. I know that code is for the 02 sensor heating or something like that. Will post something more when I get home. Oh and HAPPY NEW YEAR YALL.
    SLP LT's, ORY, Flowmaster Catback, MTI Clear Lid, TB bypass, LS6 Intake,PP TB, Ram Air Mod, Tune, 3:73's, Deleted Cats, Deleted EGR/AIR

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

O2 heater circuit code? Time to replace it. It's getting "lazy" and needs to go.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    O2 heater circuit code? Time to replace it. It's getting "lazy" and needs to go.
    Could this be causing the misfire on cylinder #2???

98 Formula
    06 duramax

need to start moving things 1 at a time until you get it narrowed down.....coil and injector. Also, does it idle fine cold everytime and then start running rough after a few minutes? Does it do that everytime? If so that could be a sign of a bad O2. Any missed shifts or bang the limiter recently? Could be a bent pushrod but that's unlikely....you'd hear a constant tick and it would always miss.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Ok so you still have the #2 code. You replaced the plug and it is still showing. You need to swap the wire and see if the code follows. If it does you need a new wire set. If it does follow then swap a coil. Same as before if it follows you have a bad coil. Try these steps for now. The o2 sensor needs replacement. You swapped the sensor and the code followed so it is defective.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 01-02-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    need to start moving things 1 at a time until you get it narrowed down.....coil and injector. Also, does it idle fine cold everytime and then start running rough after a few minutes? Does it do that everytime? If so that could be a sign of a bad O2. Any missed shifts or bang the limiter recently? Could be a bent pushrod but that's unlikely....you'd hear a constant tick and it would always miss.
    No ticks, and yes on start up it idles fine, and when its cold, and yes after a few mins, it starts running rough, and it has been doing this since the car sat up for a few months(3 to 4 possibly) no missed shifts or anything, transmission shifts like a champ, (A4).

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    Ok so you still have the #2 code. You replaced the plug and it is still showing. You need to swap the wire and see if the code follows. If it does you need a new wire set. If it does follow then swap a coil. Same as before if it follows you have a bad coil. Try these steps for now. The o2 sensor needs replacement. You swapped the sensor and the code followed so it is defective.
    Going to do that first thing in the a.m. will get back to ya after.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Does the car begin to misfire when the engine reached operating temperature? Like, when the temp needle begins to rise? Being that the car sat, I would check the temp sensor as rodents could chew through the temp sensor wiring harness. Just a little insurance.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Ok swapped the coils around, and still got a random misfire, also gotten a P0152, 0158, all the wires look good cammedgoat.....going to do another drive cycle in a few mins. Oh and it does misfire on warm up, and while on a drive, then stops and the car runs fine....

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Ok went on another drive cycle, and same sputtering, and threw codes P0152 and P0158, also still throwing the P0300 code no misfire on cylinder #2 anymore, since I swapped the #1 coil to the #2 coil. Thinking the 02 sensors are going to be changed next....AutoZone will get a visit from me on the 15(payday)

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

If you just swap the coil and is not misfiring #2 no more was either a bad coil(dont be surprise if the code comes back later on#1) or one of your wires was not clicked in all the way. Keep us updated once you change the o2 sensor.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Will do jay, I forgot to mention in my last post, while I was making a driver cycle, my check gages light came on because I was low on fuel, so I went to the closest gas station and put $10 worth of gas in (93 octane of course) and started back to my house, as I was on the street going to my house my check gauges light came back on and my fuel needle dropped to E????? So I put the car in neutral and turned the car off then on again, and it went back to a quarter of a tank.....kinda weird huh????

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Yep. Swap the O2s, clear the codes and take the car for a drive to relearn the new O2s(readiness mode).

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I had the same issue with my gauge once. I has not happen anymore.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Ok changed one front 02 sensor on the driver side, car still sputtered I smelled gas, and threw codes P0300 P0152, and P0158.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmFanatic View Post
    Ok changed one front 02 sensor on the driver side, car still sputtered I smelled gas, and threw codes P0300 P0152, and P0158.
    You mentioned last time you worked with the car codes po152 and po158. These are the sensors on the passenger side manifold. Why did you installed the new sensor on the drivers side manifold?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

You need to replace the o2 sensor upstream on the passenger side. I will replace the passenger side o2 sensor with the one you took off the drivers side since it not throwing a code. That is if you still have it

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Yes I still have it, and gonna do that when I get back from my parents house. Have my kids this weekend, and didn't want to spend all my time on my car. Will keep yall up dated.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thats a good choice. Keep us posted.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information