Thread: Split LCA?

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 T/A A4

Split LCA?

After hearing Les Schwab say it might be this and it might be that, I broke down and dropped $95 on a dealership diagnostic of my problem.

For the last few weeks, whenever I back into or out of a spot, I hear a loud pop from the drivers front. It only happens when I'm stopping to go forward. And then when it comes time to make the first stop after going forward, I hear a much softer pop. It only happens when the car's weight shifts after the initial stop of moving in the new direction. Anyone else ever experience this?

Pontiac dealers' driveline tech says it looks like my lower control arm has a split in it. They're wanting $700+ to replace it. I was thinking about buying a used and installing it myself. What's the process going to be? Will I need spring compressors or do our cars have 1 piece strut assemblies?

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Are you sure that it isn't bad ball joints or tie rod ends causing the noise? I'd take the car to a good alignment shop ASAP and get a second opinion - cracking a front LCA is not a common occurrance. If the LCA was bad, I'd put a new aftermarket piece in, not just a factory replacement IMO. Besides, if that truly were the cause of your problem I won't drive the car at all! You'd have a much bigger concern with safety issues - what if the LCA failed completely and you lost control of the car? When you get a second opinion, don't tell them what the dealership said to you until after they give you their diagnosis. You don't want to prejudice them and 'steer' them down the wrong path, so to speak. If the LCA is cracked they should spot it easily. Good luck!

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

kinda sounds like the bolts are loose causing it to shift around. my lower control arm front bolt was loosing causing that same sound. also, check the rear bushing in the arm. it is common to go bad.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 T/A A4

I went under there today to pull off my pads and rotors and cant seem to see anything. I had a guy at work telling me that it might be the bushings too.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 T/A A4

Forgot to update on this.

Mrr, you were right about the bolts. I had a loose one on my driver's side front caliper bracket. I made sure every bolt was properly tightened when I was putting my brakes back together and I haven't heard the popping noise in the last 2 weeks or so. I'm so glad I can rely on my local dealership to properly diagnose problems... Thanks for saving me $700.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

anytime

Thread Information