Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Spitfire ls1 swap

This is a discussion on Spitfire ls1 swap within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Smittro Well the L67 (3800 SC) is barely taller with the factory Eton 90 on it so ...

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Well the L67 (3800 SC) is barely taller with the factory Eton 90 on it so maybe check them out.. 200hp crank for the 3800 non-SC, and over 240 crank for the L67 stock, with a 3.4 pully it will net a noticable difference but still wont be 300+ like the DI 3.6L VVT N/A.

A shaker style hood should work you'll just have to moch it up and see how much clearance you're actually left with.

For the 3800 you'll need either an A4 auto or a T5 manual trans (no six speeds).

However the 3.6L has the available 6spd manual or 6spd auto..
    The Opel guys across the pond (Uk) as well as here like using the 60*v6 because it's relatively compact size with its 60* "V" angle.

The 3800 is substantially wider @ a lower profile since it's a 90* "v" angle..

Where the DI 3.6 is still making a name for itself, the 3800 is legondary..

Lots of options imho..
    What difference does the 60* vs the 90* really make? Is it just compactness? Also if it was you doing this which one would you go with. Basically I am trying to find the perfect v6 that will fit with relatively no modifications to the body (don't mind doing but in a perfect would I would rather not). One that has good power stock but does have some aftermarket stuff perhaps in case he doesn't want to keep it stock.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 06-21-2011 at 01:48 PM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    What difference does the 60* vs the 90* really make? Is it just compactness? Also if it was you doing this which one would you go with. Basically I am trying to find the perfect v6 that will fit with relatively no modifications to the body (don't mind doing but in a perfect would I would rather not). One that has good power stock but does have some aftermarket stuff perhaps in case he doesn't want to keep it stock.
    For me I'm a 660 fan (660= V6-60*). A 60* "V" angle is a near perfect angle for internal engine balance. As for the 90* 3800, it has a balance shaft to control internal vibrations. All 60* v6 engines come with true forged rods out of the box and you can rev the crap out of them. 7200 rpm all day with a 660 as opposed to the 6200 for the 3800 and they don't always like that. The 3800 makes all the torque it's ever gonna make @ near 2500 rpm then falls on it's face shortly after in stock form. By 5200 or so forget it stock imo. The 3800 also has forged (if you can call them that) rods too but they're a powder forging. Made of metal powder smashed into a mold then heated.. However the after market for the 3800, and 3.8 (two different engines) Buick is huge. Where as the after markets have just in resent years begun to grow for the 660's.. The 660 is the 90*'s replacement and buy personal preferance a better engine stock imho. Both engines have their quarks though and you'll get mixed reviews on which is better.. The 3800 is considered a boat anchor in the 660 community because of it's totally iron design and the need or use of a balance shaft..

On a different scale there's also the quad-4 perferably the one's with the W-41 power package @ ~225hp crank. Only 4cyl I'd ever consider personally.
    Not unheard of to see one in the 300hp range N/A aswell. I just don't know what tranny you'd use since it came mostly in FWD cars of the time usually J-body. Both the 660 and the w-41 when tuned properly can see 8000 rpm all day with stock internals.. In resent years it has been discovered that the 660 LQ1 can hold 500 crank with stock internals.. Lots of options for useage just some require custom fab more than others. Then there's also the early Northstar small displacement v8's which were born out of the LQ1 program, which was born out of the Quad-4 program.. Many northstar v8 owe thier existance to the LQ1 and quad-4.. There's also the smaller more common 660's such as the 2.8L ohv, 3.1L ohv, and 3.4L ohv, which were also used in f-body from the 3rd gen to the 4th gens (3.4 only in 4th gen).. They've all been cammed, spooled, and screwed too by various owners experimenting with crossed parts and so forth.

I know lots to consider. The 660's are gonna be a lighter, sometimes much lighter than the 3800 and can be easily modded to hit 3800 numbers..
    Even if it's the L67 (3800 SC) someone has built a 660 hitting those numbers N/A or far better such as the Di 3.6 vvt N/A..

There you have it in a relative nut shell.. If you have anymore questions just let me know I'll be glad to help..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-21-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    For me I'm a 660 fan (660= V6-60*). A 60* "V" angle is a near perfect angle for internal engine balance. As for the 90* 3800, it has a balance shaft to control internal vibrations. All 60* v6 engines come with true forged rods out of the box and you can rev the crap out of them. 7200 rpm all day with a 660 as opposed to the 6200 for the 3800 and they don't always like that. The 3800 makes all the torque it's ever gonna make @ near 2500 rpm then falls on it's face shortly after in stock form. By 5200 or so forget it stock imo. The 3800 also has forged (if you can call them that) rods too but they're a powder forging. Made of metal powder smashed into a mold then heated.. However the after market for the 3800, and 3.8 (two different engines) Buick is huge. Where as the after markets have just in resent years begun to grow for the 660's.. The 660 is the 90*'s replacement and buy personal preferance a better engine stock imho. Both engines have their quarks though and you'll get mixed reviews on which is better.. The 3800 is considered a boat anchor in the 660 community because of it's totally iron design and the need or use of a balance shaft..

On a different scale there's also the quad-4 perferably the one's with the W-41 power package @ ~225hp crank. Only 4cyl I'd ever consider personally.
    Not unheard of to see one in the 300hp range N/A aswell. I just don't know what tranny you'd use since it came mostly in FWD cars of the time usually J-body. Both the 660 and the w-41 when tuned properly can see 8000 rpm all day with stock internals.. In resent years it has been discovered that the 660 LQ1 can hold 500 crank with stock internals.. Lots of options for useage just some require custom fab more than others. Then there's also the early Northstar small displacement v8's which were born out of the LQ1 program, which was born out of the Quad-4 program.. Many northstar v8 owe thier existance to the LQ1 and quad-4.. There's also the smaller more common 660's such as the 2.8L ohv, 3.1L ohv, and 3.4L ohv, which were also used in f-body from the 3rd gen to the 4th gens (3.4 only in 4th gen).. They've all been cammed, spooled, and screwed too by various owners experimenting with crossed parts and so forth.

I know lots to consider. The 660's are gonna be a lighter, sometimes much lighter than the 3800 and can be easily modded to hit 3800 numbers even if it's the L67 (3800 SC) someone has built a 660 hitting those numbers N/A or far better such as the Di 3.6 vvt N/A..

There you have it in a relative nut shell.. If you have anymore questions just let me know I'll be glad to help..
    Thanks for all of that information. I am sure I will have some more questions once I do a little more research and talk to my dad about what he actually wants.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Thanks for all of that information. I am sure I will have some more questions once I do a little more research and talk to my dad about what he actually wants.
    No prob, and Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information