Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Speeding ticket

This is a discussion on Speeding ticket within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Fastest I've clocked someone was 98mph in a 35mph he was 17 and i called his parents and ended up ...

Pewter
    2000 TransAm

Fastest I've clocked someone was 98mph in a 35mph he was 17 and i called his parents and ended up taking him to jail/juvenile.

blue
    83 mustang 347

sorry to hijack but.... i have a buddy who is MP that told me this: say if you are running 125 in a 55 a cop is at a standstill on the side of the road, in most cases before the cop catches up you will lose sight of said vehicle. If/ when you catch up and they are runnin the speed limit can they legally be written a ticket even though you lost sight of them?

Black
    98 T/A

Since I too am a traffic cop in Detroit, and to chime in on the last question. With the 125 reading, by the time I reacted, pulled out, had to exceed the 125 mph to catch up to him, the car would likely be 2-3 miles ahead "IF" I could exceed the 125 speed he was doing and if 125+ was safe for me. There is no way any officer could see a plate that fast, let alone 65-70 mph. The top end on the Crown Vics are 130 or so and that is primarily due to the induced drag of the light bar on top.

Fastest I clocked, 137..The new units do not use a tuning fork..at least since 1995. They are all internally regulated (tested) internally at intervals of 10, 35 and 65 mph. and battery voltage to unit and temperature of unit is checked as well.

If I speed to work, I do not write speeding tickets...I will stop you and have a chat. Your attitude and paperwork being in check will go a long way. If you are a dick, you may get a citation from me for something other than speeding. Just can't be a hypocrite, especially driving a T/A.

Black
    98 T/A

And to answer the initial question, there are several different radar units, as well as LIDAR. I have front and rear capability with moving/stationary controls. If you are moving, the radar must be in moving mode to compensate for the partol vehicle speed.

I have determined that there are some bad cops and I don't agree with the attitude they have. Just as well, there are street racers that make some of us look bad by engaging in asenine driving. If you get pulled over, the cop is nice, and you are nice, and you have a clean driving record, and you get a ticket, likely is your fault. As well, if you both are nice, and you have a shitty driving record, what do you expect? Now If the cop is a dick, and you are nice, and you get a ticket, I apologize for that..Some cops are real pricks. Now if you both are total dicks, plan on going to jail.....

Ratdaddy07
    I got stopped on I-10 doing 110. Apparantly the cop clocked me at 55 in a 40 before I got on. He turned around to come get me mean while I had an hour drive ahead of me for weds. night card game so get on the interstate and fly. T-tops off radio jammin, didn't notice how fast I was going( I knew I was speeding don't get me wrong) and never heard the sirens( he didn't believe that). I noticed him after slowing for traffic coming east bound into Lake Charles, turns out traffic was slowing for the road block set up just after the coming on ramp for guess who? Impounded(spelling) my car and cuffed and stuffed me then into a cell while the cop showed the film (filmed it!) to his superior who thank God said you know I really don't think he knew you where there, eitherwhoo thank God also that I knew someone are I would probably have lost my license turned out I got nothing but had to pay to get the car out and he said had I got a hold of him right away I wouldn't have had that either. Good ole Louisiana!!!!!!

Ratdaddy07
    Oh and by the way I was single and childless I am now married with two kids and know better, driving 110 on a public highway IN TRAFFIC is stupid, just wanted to make sure nobody was thinking hey cool cause it ain't, but it does make a good story now that it is all over with. That was one of 8 tickets I got in 01 (year I bought my car) got them all fixed but by that point even the guys "doing me the favors" where like damn this needs to stop!

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by hwyhog View Post
    Thats not good. did any one else get hurt?
    no only the pilot was in the plane

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hensgens View Post
    Oh and by the way I was single and childless I am now married with two kids and know better, driving 110 on a public highway IN TRAFFIC is stupid, just wanted to make sure nobody was thinking hey cool cause it ain't, but it does make a good story now that it is all over with. That was one of 8 tickets I got in 01 (year I bought my car) got them all fixed but by that point even the guys "doing me the favors" where like damn this needs to stop!
    TRUE!!!!! While I've been known to stomp on the gas every now and then the place to take it is to the track!!!!! I wont even bother if my son is in the car with me......no way I'm putting his life on the line all to prove a car is faster........now take it to the track and it's on.....lol

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 2001somws6 View Post
    No it wont. I had this happen to me and the cop said "mabe or you could have been doing" I told the judge this and the cop said yes i did say that. It got dismissed right away.

Mabe or could have does not hold up be because i "COULD" have been doing something else. Dont assume.
    In you case the cop said HE COULD HAVE BEEN DOING........If the cop said HE WAS DOING THAT;they side with the cop. The reason you got off cause the cop worded his wrong

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee1967 View Post
    Since I too am a traffic cop in Detroit, and to chime in on the last question. With the 125 reading, by the time I reacted, pulled out, had to exceed the 125 mph to catch up to him, the car would likely be 2-3 miles ahead "IF" I could exceed the 125 speed he was doing and if 125+ was safe for me. There is no way any officer could see a plate that fast, let alone 65-70 mph. The top end on the Crown Vics are 130 or so and that is primarily due to the induced drag of the light bar on top.

Fastest I clocked, 137..The new units do not use a tuning fork..at least since 1995. They are all internally regulated (tested) internally at intervals of 10, 35 and 65 mph. and battery voltage to unit and temperature of unit is checked as well.

If I speed to work, I do not write speeding tickets...I will stop you and have a chat. Your attitude and paperwork being in check will go a long way. If you are a dick, you may get a citation from me for something other than speeding. Just can't be a hypocrite, especially driving a T/A.
    i have decided the rush of speed is not worth the cost all the way around. time to be civil and obey the law and just enjoy riding around in my toy

black
    2001 Trans Am

Hi, I belong to an MG club. The club rents a track, or does auto-crossing with cones, knock a cone down & lose 5 seconds, at a place that allows us there. Large blacktop parking lot. Work at a company that has a large parking lot? Ask if you can use it on the week end. Stop watch by 2 ppl comparing. 1st lap, not timed & next 2 are. Get about 4-5 trys thru the day & best time of the day counts. Only trophys, no $ for the top 3 finishers. Only one car at a time is allowed. I've taught both my sons, wife. ( She took 1st place beating 10 other women.) How to drive fast in a controlled, safe place. Once, my younger son. Driving my 71 Midget. Beat me by a second. Same car. Diffrent drivers. I taught him how to auto-cross, drifting. Walked & drove the track slow 1st, then fast, to explain how to get around it fast. The big tire screachers, fish tailers are not fast. Smooth, wide-> outside on the turn into the turn & go to the inside, at the apex, if you do it right. You nail it & do a 4 wheel drift to the outside on exiting the turn. Don't have to change the steering wheel too much. Beat 34 cars one time till my sons great run. I congratulated him as I knew. He did a perfect run, I watched. Other members in the club, tell me. Why he beat you? He knows dad will fix, if he breaks it. lol. what I'm trying to say. Join a club, drive fast in a safe place. Or set up with friends. What we do. Any one can drive fast. Try to control, hair pin turns, shicanes, keep the turns tight, straight aways short, street L's at the end. Gives a course that keeps the speed, somewhat down. Then driving competition is driving ability, not only speed. Trans Ams are not only fast, but handle like they should. Quick & fast mean 2 diffrent things. Eh? Dave
    Last edited by locodave; 11-09-2006 at 08:08 PM.

black
    2001 Trans Am

Hi, Also have video of me driving my 69 MGC/GT. 6 cyl MG I exited a R/hand turn, full drift. Lookin at the track thru the driver side window. Steering wheel, full lock to the left. Rear sliding. Doing about 40 mph. Then the rear grabbed. Wheels turned to the left. Found out the hard way, it's going left, big time. Lol. Knew I wasn't able to turn the wheel fast enough to recover. Decided to keep it floored, do a doughnut & recover & continue on the straight away. Once I had it pointed the right way. One of my buddys is a cop. Asked if he had special training & told on the job type. Took him out also. He has a Midget also but didn't bring it. Let him use my car & said. Only deal, you break or bend. you fix it. Drove slow with him to show what he should do & where to set up for the next turn. then drove fast. Picked up the one rear wheel off the ground on the hair pin. He didn't think you could drive a car that fast without roaling it. Let him " Play" after that lap. watched & he did fine. Also showed him if get in trouble, shove in the clutch. Took the tight shicane at 30 & told him 1st, I would over correct & got sideways. Asked if he could catch me with a squad car. He said no, but my Motorola radio would. Lol. Dave
    Last edited by locodave; 11-09-2006 at 08:32 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information