Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Speeding ticket

This is a discussion on Speeding ticket within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; What happens what the officer writes the wrong age on the ticket. He wrote 26 but i was an am ...

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

What happens what the officer writes the wrong age on the ticket. He wrote 26 but i was an am when i got the ticket...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jpick1353 View Post
    traffic court is not like a real court, it is just a kangaroo court. Just pay your couple hundred bucks and move on. I make $150/ hr so its not even worth my time to worry about it. And people are really going to hire an attorney???? Let me give you a hint, a real attorney can't be hired for less then a few grand for anything. You are a total moron if u hire an attorney for a traffic ticket.

I think the ones who are hiring the attorneys are the some ones that say a fairy has limited their cars top speed, and that they are still squealing their tires as the accelerate from 150mph to 200mph.

please step away from the crack pipe.
    who teh hell are you talking too..almost soundsl ike you need to lay off the pipe

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by jpick1353 View Post
    Dude, where do u get these ideas from. They do not have to show you or store anything. They do not even have to get you on radar, they can estimate your speed.
    I guess that's where you need to do some research. If you get a ticket you can get the information I told you about in my first post on this thread. That is your right! Trust me on this! I've done it a few times. This isn't rocket science here. Estimating your speed will not hold up in court if you go in and question it. There is reasonable doubt there. Trust me....in court I can prove that any cop can't accuratly "estimate" your speed.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Phlash_riot View Post
    What happens what the officer writes the wrong age on the ticket. He wrote 26 but i was an am when i got the ticket...
    They wont do anything.....that's considered a "clerical" error......the only thing that would help in something like this is if he just completly put the wrong name on the citation......

black
    2001 z28 b4c

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Do yo honestly think you can accurately estimate someone's speed with nothing but the use of your own eyes?? Thats a load of shit, "you're trained" my ass, what a joke.

If you believe that then you'll believe anything
    Most traffic violations require an officer to make some type of observation or mesurement. One of the most common types of observation is the speed of vehicles. The general rule in North Carolina requires that an officer have an opinion, independent of any speed-measuring equipment used, as to the speed of a specific vehicle. In essence, determining speed by the use of speed-measuring equipment alone is not sufficient to establish vehicle speed. However, the determination of speed by use of speed-measuring equipment can be used to corroborate the opinion of an officer as to the speed of a specific vehicle.

From a legal standpoint, one of the most commonly recognized elementary rules of evidence is that an opinion as to the speed of a moving vehicle may be given by an ordinary witness whose actual observation has qualified him to form such an opinion. Quoting from Brandis & brown on North Carolina Evidence, Sec. 183 (5th ed. 1998) " A lay witness with sufficient knowledge and opportunity to observe may testify to the speed of a vehicle or the distance within which it could have been stopped on a given occasion. Accordingly, "any person of ordinary intelligence, who has had an opportunity for observation, is competent to testify as to the rate of speed" of a motor vehicle. The rules of evidence in North Carolina require that facts necessary to prove the essential ellments of a case be established by testimony or evidence. Therfore, an officer must have the ability to form an opinion as to speed in order to substantiate a speeding charge.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    I guess that's where you need to do some research. If you get a ticket you can get the information I told you about in my first post on this thread. That is your right! Trust me on this! I've done it a few times. This isn't rocket science here. Estimating your speed will not hold up in court if you go in and question it. There is reasonable doubt there. Trust me....in court I can prove that any cop can't accuratly "estimate" your speed.
    jprick is such a dumb-ass he not thinking of higher insurance rates for getting a ticket, but let him pay his fine and go on his little smart ass way

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    Some of you guys crack me up.....getting out of a ticket by Radar is easy! It's not that 90% of traffic offence tickets are BS, as someone put it, it's that 90% of the fine is revenue to your city, county, state. Lets face it.....when we get a speeding ticket nine times out of ten we are in fact speeding! But, if you really want to get out of the ticket you have to walk into court not hoping that the cop doesn't show but be prepared. A radar isn't accurate! Several things can throw the readings off. There have been cases where news crews took several of the radar guns in use today and went out to do some testing and found that they are flawed. If the vehicle hasn't been serviced and has something causing interferance it can cause a bad reading. One crew in Miami pointed it at a bush and got a reading of 78mph! Like I said....they are flawed.....if you ever get a ticket remember these things:

1. You are entitled to subpoena the manual for the radar gun used in your citation, the officers training on the gun, the cars vehicle maintenance records, the shift log, the tuning log.

2. Don't stand out when the cop is writing you a ticket....I mean don't curse at him do anything that will make him remember you when you go to court. He will probably jot down some notes after he gets back to the car to help him remember but no worries.....he wont remember you in court.

Now, you will ask for the radar gun manual because in there it will tell you what degree of a beam it shoots. Most shoot a 12 degree beam which means it can cover one full lane of traffic after 10 feet! You want to set the cop up. Ask him how far away you were when he hit you......if he says 100 feet guess what.....there's reasonable doubt! Was there a lot of traffic on the road...other cars....what....telephone wires, power lines, buildings...all these things can cause a bad reading.

The last ticket I got I was given a ticket for doing 65mph in a 45. When I went to court I asked the cop how far away I was when he first hit me with the radar. His answer was something like 100 feet....I then asked him how long he kept it on me....his answer....3 to 4 seconds.......well....that's all find and dandy BUT......if you look at it.....if I was doing 65mph I would of been traveling 100 feet per second! That means I had traveled 300 to 400 feet while he had the gun on me.......I asked him how he did that and he showed everyone that he kept the radar gun on me while swinging his arm from left to right.....in the radar gun manual it talked about "arm swing" error. That's where you get a false reading from swinging the radar gun too fast.....guess what.....more reasonable doubt.....I could go on and on with this but the point is do some research and you will find that it's easy to get out of a ticket.....just got to go in there and be respectfull and have the facts!! I never once denied I was speeding....I just questioned the means in which the reading was obtained........the local cops pretty much leave me alone now....lol
    how much did the subpoena cost ?

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    how much did the subpoena cost ?
    It costs you nothing to put one together.....do some research on your state regulations and it will tell you how to request the info......now they can charge you for copying the info but mine came out to be like $5.......now....if you take your time and do it right you can always find a way to beat a radar ticket......and then....for the good part.....you can turn around and sue them in small claims court for the costs incured if you're found innocent.....that's time you spent researching, costs of pictures taken of the area you got your ticket, costs of copying material.........you can do that but you'd be pushing it then....lol.....you'd have every cop in your town ready for you...lol

I dont want anyone here to think I dont respect cops....on the contrary I respect the hell out of them. They put it on the line every day they go out.....but like anything you have good ones and bad ones.....most are pretty down to earth and if you have a good attitude when they pull you over they will let you off with a warning......I've been pulled over and some of the time the guy wants to see the motor of my car and we end up BS'ing for a while.....lol

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Can anyone tell me why the **ck whenever I pull by a doughnut hound in my T/A he pulls out and begins sniffing my a**? I see other cars pass by him going faster than me 'cuz they're pulling away, but I'm the one that always gets followed! Chatham NJ cops are real pricks, they always stake out Main Street at night and I ALWAYS do the limit when I drive through 'cuz I know they're out there. They're so lazy that they don't even use instant on, they leave the radar blasting ALL the time so it's easy to pick them up. I got a bogus ticket from them once and I went to court to fight it - and I won. Chatham pays their cops to go to court so he was there... the guy ticketed me for doing 35 in a 25 zone....even though an SUV in front of me was going faster. Well, I did a little research -- I took a video camera out and put it on the dash and videotaped the entire street. Not a SINGLE 25 mph speed limit sign, they were all 35 mph! I showed the video to the prosecutor in court and they dropped the ticket. The cop knew the speed limit: had I not investigated it I would have had to pay the fine and get some points on my spotless license (hard to do with aT/A). The prick wasted my time though, since I had to take off from work to go to court.. which is only during regular (daytime) working hours, twice a month. ALWAYS FIGHT YOUR TICKETS! YOU HAVE NOTHING FURTHER TO LOSE SINCE THEY CAN'T ADD MORE PENALTIES IF YOU GO TO COURT, AND YOU ALREADY HAVE THE TICKET IN YOUR CLENCHED FIST!! AT THE VERY LEAST THE COP WILL HAVE TO SHOW UP IN COURT THAT DAY AND WASTE HIS TIME! By the way, radar and laser work on the Doppler effect, which means that the radar signal or laser beam bounced off your car changes frequency. When it gets back to the sending unit the change in frequency correlates to your speed. If you are standing still there shouldn't be any frequency change. If you are going away from the measuring unit, the frequency drops: when you are approaching the measuring unit the received beam increases in frequency. A miscalibrated detection unit can register the wrong frequency - ending up in an inaccurate speed reading! That why radar units are calibrated with a tuning fork, because it always vibrates at a fixed frequency (unless you damage the tuning fork). When the tuning fork is struck and held in from of the detection unit, a specific reading MUST show up in the speed display. You can ALWAYS request that the officer show you when the unit was last calibrated - or the ticket can be contested on the grounds that the measuring unit was not calibrated. Also, the officer must show proof (not necessarily to you, but at least in court) that he has been properly trained and certified to operate the speed detection unit, and that he is certified to perform a calibration test on the unit. You can request that a calibration record/history of the speed detection unit also be produced, along with the manufacturer's recommended calibration interval. These are your rights: don't take a ticket blindly.
    Last edited by Fastcar; 11-04-2006 at 08:32 AM. Reason: typos

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcar View Post
    Can anyone tell me why the **ck whenever I pull by a doughnut hound in my T/A he pulls out and begins sniffing my a**? I see other cars pass by him going faster than me 'cuz they're pulling away, but I'm the one that always gets followed! Chatham NJ cops are real pricks, they always stake out Main Street at night and I ALWAYS do the limit when I drive through 'cuz I know they're out there. They're so lazy that they don't even use instant on, they leave the radar blasting ALL the time so it's easy to pick them up. I got a bogus ticket from them once and I went to court to fight it - and I won. Chatham pays their cops to go to court so he was there... the guy ticketed me for doing 35 in a 25 zone....even though an SUV in front of me was going faster. Well, I did a little research -- I took a video camera out and put it on the dash and videotaped the entire street. Not a SINGLE 25 mph speed limit sign, they were all 35 mph! I showed the video to the prosecutor in court and they dropped the ticket. The cop knew the speed limit: had I not investigated it I would have had to pay the fine and get some points on my spotless license (hard to do with aT/A). The prick wasted my time though, since I had to take off from work to go to court.. which is only during regular (daytime) working hours, twice a month. ALWAYS FIGHT YOUR TICKETS! YOU HAVE NOTHING FURTHER TO LOSE SINCE THEY CAN'T ADD MORE PENALTIES IF YOU GO TO COURT, AND YOU ALREADY HAVE THE TICKET IN YOUR CLENCHED FIST!! AT THE VERY LEAST THE COP WILL HAVE TO SHOW UP IN COURT THAT DAY AND WASTE HIS TIME! By the way, radar and laser work on the Doppler effect, which means that the radar signal or laser beam bounced off your car changes frequency. When it gets back to the sending unit the change in frequency correlates to your speed. If you are standing still there shouldn't be any frequency change. If you are going away from the measuring unit, the frequency drops: when you are approaching the measuring unit the received beam increases in frequency. A miscalibrated detection unit can register the wrong frequency - ending up in an inaccurate speed reading! That why radar units are calibrated with a tuning fork, because it always vibrates at a fixed frequency (unless you damage the tuning fork). When the tuning fork is struck and held in from of the detection unit, a specific reading MUST show up in the speed display. You can ALWAYS request that the officer show you when the unit was last calibrated - or the ticket can be contested on the grounds that the measuring unit was not calibrated. Also, the officer must show proof (not necessarily to you, but at least in court) that he has been properly trained and certified to operate the speed detection unit, and that he is certified to perform a calibration test on the unit. You can request that a calibration record/history of the speed detection unit also be produced, along with the manufacturer's recommended calibration interval. These are your rights: don't take a ticket blindly.
    ty for all the info next time I get a ticket I will use it all. the last time I got a ticket the tropper said I was going 92/65. I had my cruise on for 3 miles @ 80 mph. Told him that but he was a smart a** from the start. I asked to see his radar saying 92 he said he didnt have to. Ended up talking with the judge and he dropped it to 80 and kept it off my record.

black
    2001 z28 b4c

The LIDAR (laser) does not calculate vehicle speed by comparing the frequency change ( Doppler shift ) of the transmitted and reflected signal like RADAR. Instead, LIDAR employs a time of flight method for taking measurements to determine the target vehicles speed. When the trigger is pulled, the LIDAR transmits dozens of laser light pulses per second. When a pulse is transmitted, the timer is started, then when the reflected pulse from the target vehicle is received, the timer is stopped. By comparing the elapsed time between the transmission & reception of the laser pulse with the speed of light, the instrument can calculate the range to the target vehicle. After making a specific number of these successive range measurements, the data is mathematically analyzed by the processing algorithm (the LIDAR processor takes all the data and averages it over the number of pulses received). The calculated target vehicle speed is therefore determined from a group of time & range measurements.

The scientific principles used in LIDAR are valid & common knowledge. The principles involve such basic concepts as the speed of light (186,000 miles per second) and the "time-distance speed measurement formula", (s=D/T)

The narrow LIDAR beam allows the instrument to be operated with pinpoint accuracy in selecting specific target vehicles on a crowded roadway.

btw a lot of RADAR and LASER detectors dont pick up the laser signal from the LIDAR. I get told all the time "but my RADAR detector did not go off". If you do have one that will pick the signal up it is to late b/c the LIDAR is on your car.

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 PONTIAC TRANS AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Jetblak View Post
    Got a friend thats a cop and he said they could be standing on side of road with no radar gun what so ever and estimate your speed and it will stand up in the court of law

No it wont. I had this happen to me and the cop said "mabe or you could have been doing" I told the judge this and the cop said yes i did say that. It got dismissed right away.

Mabe or could have does not hold up be because i "COULD" have been doing something else. Dont assume.

Pewter
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by hwyhog View Post
    The LIDAR (laser) does not calculate vehicle speed by comparing the frequency change ( Doppler shift ) of the transmitted and reflected signal like RADAR. Instead, LIDAR employs a time of flight method for taking measurements to determine the target vehicles speed. When the trigger is pulled, the LIDAR transmits dozens of laser light pulses per second. When a pulse is transmitted, the timer is started, then when the reflected pulse from the target vehicle is received, the timer is stopped. By comparing the elapsed time between the transmission & reception of the laser pulse with the speed of light, the instrument can calculate the range to the target vehicle. After making a specific number of these successive range measurements, the data is mathematically analyzed by the processing algorithm (the LIDAR processor takes all the data and averages it over the number of pulses received). The calculated target vehicle speed is therefore determined from a group of time & range measurements.

The scientific principles used in LIDAR are valid & common knowledge. The principles involve such basic concepts as the speed of light (186,000 miles per second) and the "time-distance speed measurement formula", (s=D/T)

The narrow LIDAR beam allows the instrument to be operated with pinpoint accuracy in selecting specific target vehicles on a crowded roadway.

btw a lot of RADAR and LASER detectors dont pick up the laser signal from the LIDAR. I get told all the time "but my RADAR detector did not go off". If you do have one that will pick the signal up it is to late b/c the LIDAR is on your car.
    Good Quote!!
    I concur!
    I use the Lidar/laser radar as my primary but I sit still and pointe at the specific car, its very very accurate! OH AND THERE IS NO TUNING FORK FOR THE LASER/LIDAR radar LMAO!!! The doppler is the only one that Im aware of that uses the old tuning device.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    what is pacing ? nice of you to answer questions on here ! by the way respect the job u do. whats the fastest u ever clocked someone ? also I have bought me an escort x50 radar detector, do most officiers automatically write out the ticket if someone has a detector ? would u happen to know the range on my escort ?
    I've been pulled over with my radar on the dash (unrelated to speeding) as well as had friends pulled over with radar detectors in their cars. Cops around here tend to just ignore them, doesn't seem like it affects their decisiond one way or another, mostly depends on your attitude and why they pulled you over.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by caveblazin View Post
    Good Quote!!
    I concur!
    I use the Lidar/laser radar as my primary but I sit still and pointe at the specific car, its very very accurate! OH AND THERE IS NO TUNING FORK FOR THE LASER/LIDAR radar LMAO!!! The doppler is the only one that Im aware of that uses the old tuning device.
    what is pacing ? nice of you to answer questions on here ! by the way respect the job u do. whats the fastest u ever clocked someone ? also I have bought me an escort x50 radar detector, do most officiers automatically write out the ticket if someone has a detector ? would u happen to know the range on my escort ?

black
    2001 z28 b4c

Pacing is when Im behind a vehicle and Im maintaning an equal distance with that vehicle for some amount of time.

The fastest RADAR clock that I have ever gotten was 125mph in a 55mph zone.

As for the RADAR detectors, no I don't just wright some one a tecket for having one. I know that if you go into VA they have signs that tell you that you can not have them. I do not know what the range would be on your escort or any other RADAR detector. But I will tell you that a RADAR signal`s length actully is infinite, i.e., it will travel forever unless it is stopped by some object that reflects or absorbs it. Every RADAR signal traveles at the same speed, namely, the speed of light. this is equal to about 186,00 miles per second. I hope that this will help.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Pacing is when Im behind a vehicle and Im maintaning an equal distance with that vehicle for some amount of time.

The fastest RADAR clock that I have ever gotten was 125mph in a 55mph zone.

As for the RADAR detectors, no I don't just wright some one a tecket for having one. I know that if you go into VA they have signs that tell you that you can not have them. I do not know what the range would be on your escort or any other RADAR detector. But I will tell you that a RADAR signal`s length actully is infinite, i.e., it will travel forever unless it is stopped by some object that reflects or absorbs it. Every RADAR signal traveles at the same speed, namely, the speed of light. this is equal to about 186,00 miles per second. I hope that this will help.
    the guy doing 125 did he just pull over ? whats the fine for something like that ? the police radar or detector will travel until stopped ? how far away is laser acurate ?

black
    2001 z28 b4c

Yes he was pulled over. He got cought up in traffic. He was 16yrs old. I called his dad and he came out to where I had him stopped. I gave him a ticket for 125mph in a 55mph zone. I was going to just wright him a ticket and then give him to his dad. But his dad asked if I would take him to jail. I dont know what the fine was that he had to pay.

A RADAR beam will travel untile it is reflected, or absorded. It cane be reflected by things like, a metal object, or absorded by leaves, tall grass, or trees.

The LIDAR's beam is only 3 to 4 feet wide at 1,000 feet. That is 1/100th of the average RADAR beam with at that distance. The LIDAR can reeach out to over 3,000 ft. But it is hard to see the violaters vehicle that far away.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Yes he was pulled over. He got cought up in traffic. He was 16yrs old. I called his dad and he came out to where I had him stopped. I gave him a ticket for 125mph in a 55mph zone. I was going to just wright him a ticket and then give him to his dad. But his dad asked if I would take him to jail. I dont know what the fine was that he had to pay.

A RADAR beam will travel untile it is reflected, or absorded. It cane be reflected by things like, a metal object, or absorded by leaves, tall grass, or trees.

The LIDAR's beam is only 3 to 4 feet wide at 1,000 feet. That is 1/100th of the average RADAR beam with at that distance. The LIDAR can reeach out to over 3,000 ft. But it is hard to see the violaters vehicle that far away.
    I bet u seen everthing as far as wrecks and people getting killed...today where i live in chatsworth ga a small plane crashed on a 4 lane highway killing the pilot

black
    2001 z28 b4c

Thats not good. did any one else get hurt?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information