Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Speed limiter

This is a discussion on Speed limiter within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by SiggyZ No, I'm not the original owner of the car. But before this one, I had two ...

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    south, GA
    Posts
    116

    white
    98 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    No, I'm not the original owner of the car. But before this one, I had two other LS1 Z28s that both came with RSA tires and they weren't governed either. The first one was a new but dealer driven car and the second was brand new. I don't believe the RSAs were Z-rated tires (I have an old set of two in the garage, so I'll look later) but the cars weren't governed either. My first Camaro, a '94 LT1, was the only one I've had that came with the GS-Cs.
    The two I have had were GSC cars. Both were 98's. One was my current Z28 and the other was a Formula. I have seen some funny stuff come from the factory.

  2. #22
    Consumer of kraut SiggyZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    4,773

    Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Griner View Post
    The two I have had were GSC cars. Both were 98's. One was my current Z28 and the other was a Formula. I have seen some funny stuff come from the factory.
    We'll probably see funnier stuff come from the factory, now that they're Government Motors.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Z28_Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,017

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

    Not sure about a 2000.
    my 2002 has no trouble hitting the end of the speedo.
    Is there a speed limiter on 2002 Z28s?

  4. #24
    Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    TEXAS... U mad?
    Posts
    6,158

    Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

    Is the OP's car a vert?

  5. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    12

    Dark Metallic Blue
    2000 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    No, 'cause I don't believe a V6 came with 245/50/16s.
    Nor can a V-6 walk on a new Mustang GT 4.6L.. lol

  6. #26
    Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    TEXAS... U mad?
    Posts
    6,158

    Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

    ^ is your car a Vert?

  7. #27
    Senior Member Orcus79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,346

    black
    2002 WS6

    On the SSs and WS6s the speed limiter was removed from the factory with the skinning of the z-rated tires, so factory bone stock regular TAs, Z28s and lower, as far as I know were limited.

  8. #28
    Consumer of kraut SiggyZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    4,773

    Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

    Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    On the SSs and WS6s the speed limiter was removed from the factory with the skinning of the z-rated tires, so factory bone stock regular TAs, Z28s and lower, as far as I know were limited.
    Where are you getting your information? None of my Z28s had or have a speed limiter. I've had my current Z28 to 140 and it was still pulling strong.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Orcus79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,346

    black
    2002 WS6

    Just going off memory from a few books I have laying around about the f-bodies specificly the Pontiacs. So things may have been missed, I haven't read them in depth as stuff does get missed.

    I'm not gonna claim that I am right and you are wrong, just what I know.

  10. #30
    Consumer of kraut SiggyZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    4,773

    Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

    Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    Just going off memory from a few books I have laying around about the f-bodies specificly the Pontiacs. So things may have been missed, I haven't read them in depth as stuff does get missed.

    I'm not gonna claim that I am right and you are wrong, just what I know.
    I understand that, but you were misinformed. I wouldn't have had my car to that speed if that were a fact.

  11. #31
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    Ok maybe I can clear some of this up.
    Z28's and Formula/Trans Am's have totally different std equipment.
    I know for a fact that all Formula and Trans Am's auto or M6 came with Z rated RSA's as standard equipment. GSC's (RPO QLC) could be ordered as a No Cost option.
    When I ordered my Formula (Jan `98) I opted for the 6spd and GSC's (both no cost options)
    My Father ordered his M6 Formula a few months later and wanted the std RSA's.
    The Camaro Z28's come with Eagle GA's 235/55/16 as std equipment and should be speed limited. Although I'm not sure if they would have the 120 speedo like LT1 cars would.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

    Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    south, GA
    Posts
    116

    white
    98 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    Ok maybe I can clear some of this up.
    Z28's and Formula/Trans Am's have totally different std equipment.
    I know for a fact that all Formula and Trans Am's auto or M6 came with Z rated RSA's as standard equipment. GSC's (RPO QLC) could be ordered as a No Cost option.
    When I ordered my Formula (Jan `98) I opted for the 6spd and GSC's (both no cost options)
    My Father ordered his M6 Formula a few months later and wanted the std RSA's.
    The Camaro Z28's come with Eagle GA's 235/55/16 as std equipment and should be speed limited. Although I'm not sure if they would have the 120 speedo like LT1 cars would.
    I think this is a little more accurate. The QLC and/or QLZ package put Z rated tires on the car. If it did not come with Z rated tires it had a speed limiter.

  13. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    12

    Dark Metallic Blue
    2000 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by FORD RECOVERY EXPERT View Post
    ^ is your car a Vert?
    Nope

  14. #34
    Consumer of kraut SiggyZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    4,773

    Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

    Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    Ok maybe I can clear some of this up.
    Z28's and Formula/Trans Am's have totally different std equipment.
    I know for a fact that all Formula and Trans Am's auto or M6 came with Z rated RSA's as standard equipment. GSC's (RPO QLC) could be ordered as a No Cost option.
    When I ordered my Formula (Jan `98) I opted for the 6spd and GSC's (both no cost options)
    My Father ordered his M6 Formula a few months later and wanted the std RSA's.
    The Camaro Z28's come with Eagle GA's 235/55/16 as std equipment and should be speed limited. Although I'm not sure if they would have the 120 speedo like LT1 cars would.
    The LS1 Z28s came with Eagle RSAs 245/50/16 as std equipment. I should know, as I've owned three. And none of them have speed limiters.

  15. #35
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    The LS1 Z28s came with Eagle RSAs 245/50/16 as std equipment. I should know, as I've owned three. And none of them have speed limiters.
    The link below says the 235/55/16 Eagle GA's are a no cost option on the Z28
    http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-ca....asp?year=1998
    This one shows the tires aswell
    http://www.ssz28.com/tech/RPO.html

    Not that I disagree but the first link account that the QCB tires were part of the base Pkg.
    So we can determine that the OP can check his RPO sticker to see if he has this code. And if he does have the code QCB then that is the reason behind the speed limiter.
    Last edited by 9T8W66; 06-04-2009 at 12:11 PM.

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    south, GA
    Posts
    116

    white
    98 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    The link below says the 235/55/16 Eagle GA's are a no cost option on the Z28
    http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-ca....asp?year=1998
    This one shows the tires aswell
    http://www.ssz28.com/tech/RPO.html

    Not that I disagree but the first link account that the QCB tires were part of the base Pkg.
    So we can determine that the OP can check his RPO sticker to see if he has this code. And if he does have the code QCB then that is the reason behind the speed limiter.
    I think this is pretty accurate. I have heard of numerous LS1 cars over the years with a speed limiter around 120mph way before the 160+ they are capable of. I think most of the cars were not limited though.

  17. #37
    Senior Member redbird555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    pompano beach florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,008
    2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

    Hmm Ive had my v6 pegged at 125 before its supposed to be limited but Im not the original owner so idk. Ive never heard of ls1's being limited though.

  18. #38
    Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    TEXAS... U mad?
    Posts
    6,158

    Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

    I have had:


    A '99 T/A M6, Stock w/ 245 - 16's. Had it off the speedo...(155+)

    A '99 Z28 A4, Stock w/ 245 - 16's. Had it off the speedo...(155+)

    A 94' V6 A4, Stock w/ 245 - 16's. Had it off the speedo... (120+)

    A '93 Formula M6, Stock w/ 245 - 16's. Again off the speedo... (155+)

    And A '94 Formula A4, Stock w/ 245's.... 155+...



  19. #39
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    12

    Dark Metallic Blue
    2000 Z28

    That sticker on my driver door jam has a Z after the front and rear tire sizes...

  20. #40
    Member NaviDyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    St Louis
    Age
    44
    Posts
    115

    Tan
    2002 GMC Yukon

    Was the standard and optional tire the same on all 98-2002 models? Excluding Z28 vs SS or V6.

    Sometimes a manufacturer changes sizes and specs without a TSB or other anouncement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: gov/speed limiter
    By william SS in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2012, 07:54 AM
  2. Rev limiter
    By konigandy6 in forum Corvette
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-12-2010, 05:58 AM
  3. speed limiter?
    By slpdablueZ28 in forum General Help
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-07-2008, 09:30 PM
  4. z28 Speed Limiter?
    By mst219 in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-18-2006, 07:40 PM
  5. Removing Top Speed Limiter
    By Krazy351w in forum V6
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-25-2006, 10:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •