ss2001z

spark rattle(long post but appreciate any help)

hey guys whats up? i have recently began to get spark rattle under load and acceleration on my 01 ss camaro...it has 22,600 miles on it... i had an o ring above the oil pan replaced from the tsb info i saw actually on a corvette forum...ls1's seem to have alot of problems or tsbs...anyway i told the dealer about the knock or ping cause i thought it could be a knock sensor going bad(tsb for that)..the tech said it was my exhaust...i have the slp y pipe and loudmouth exhaust..is this possible??? he said the exhaust was not creating enough back pressure...i told him i had the exhaust on it for 3 yrs now and no problems and that the knock or ping just started within the past month..ive always used 93 and have tried switching 3 brands but it doesnt help..anyone have any hellp or solution with this...when i tach it up to 1500 rpms u can hear it ping on the passenger side head near the first two cylinders...ive tried jet fuel, fuel injector cleaner, and even marvel mystery oil..fuel filter is clean,pvc is good ,and plugs are good..i saw just a little bit of build up on throttle body but still did it after i cleaned it..all things tried cleared the rattle up some but its still there..ive taken out my granatelli mass air to see if it was bad but it still does it with the stock one..only other mods are the slp air lid...just never heard of pinging due to a catback especially one thats been on for 3 yrs.. the tech also said the ls1 changes with the more miles put on it.. thanks for any help and solutions..im baffled..

99PontTA
    when you tach it up?explain that action...you mean standing still revving the engine it pings or while driving?Also taking it to the dealer is like taking it to the zoo...only thing yer gonna find there is monkeys...find a good ls1 shop.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 99PontTA
    Also taking it to the dealer is like taking it to the zoo...only thing yer gonna find there is monkeys...find a good ls1 shop.
    lol...so true. Hook your car up to to some scanning software and a wideband and see if its reading anything out of the oridinary...such as knock.

I would also check for some bent pushrods and check the torque specs of the rockers (22 lb-ft) and make sure they are centered on the valves.Its the easiest thing to check without tearing the engine apart and a lot of people tend to get a ping because of faulty valve train equipment.
    Last edited by ~redlinels1~; 12-05-2005 at 03:07 PM.

Thread Information