Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Spark Plugs and misfires

This is a discussion on Spark Plugs and misfires within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; just take the manual out in the driveway with you and start the car up. Plug the cable into the ...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

just take the manual out in the driveway with you and start the car up. Plug the cable into the scanner and then into the obd2 port by your right knee. Connect to the car and just start playing with it. You can't hurt anything with it. Just look at some live data, it'll all look greek to you right now but that's what the internet is for. Look up things you don't know what they are or the manual doesn't explain. Scan it for codes. Just get used to cycling between the menus.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

sounds like fun, thanks. The kids are at grandmas all weekend, should be a free and clear weekend.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

orion, i don't know if the tail pipes are sooted up. I will have to remember to run my finger across them. From what i remember when installing my draw-tite hitch they did have a grey filth on the under outside. I bumped my hands up against them a lot and noticed the junk coming off them was different than the rest of the car. my guess is by soot you mean grey chalky like stuff?

What would soot indicate and how do you correct it?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Hey Kool Aid did you solve the idle problem? I'm having the same situation. No codes no vaccum leak I run 93 fuel. If you solve it please tell me what it was.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

i think i did. That's just the way the engine is. I had a short clip on cardomain. Every one said the engine sounded fine. I'm not used to a V8 that has a tiny chop to it.

maybe you could get a short video or audio of your engine running. I know it helps to figure things out if you can hear. these guys on LS1.com are pretty good when you have video or pics.

BTW I only run 93 octane when i'm using something in my fuel tank for cleaning. The rest of the time i run 87 and just let the computer adjust the timing for knock. I never noticed an idle difference between octanes in my car.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I see. Well mine I thin that there is somthing wrong or about to go wrong. I had the car for 6 months now and I didn't had this idle issue. I just replaced my spark plugs with TR55's and I still have it. I'm still testing to see if the skip beat occurs again. I did found 2 spark plug wires that show open with my ohm meter so I replace those. Thanks for the input.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

i don't if you searched the board but here are some things i heard about

Make sure they are gapped right, and don't gap iridiums, I don't think TR55s are iridium. I gapped my platinums to ~.058.5-.059ish

Make sure the wires are good and don't touch the headers or stock manifold, could lead to arcing

make sure they are not fouled, kind of sucks cuz you have to keep pulling them which is no fun on #8

if you have access to a scanner hook it up and run some tests. Usually Advance Auto Parts will let you use their Actron in the parking lot. I don't know about Auto Zone, but never hurts to ask. I personally have an Actron and my buddies borrow it every time i light comes on. Best money i spent on ebay, so far, lol...

try to get a video or at least an audio clip of the problem. I know i mentioned this before but it could really help diagnose the problem.

I can't really think of any thing else right now. Most of the time misfires are fouled plugs, bad wire, not gapped right, distributor or coil (but we don't have those). I doubt the coil pack went out, but always possible and expensive as heck.

Personally I have the cheapest wires and plugs, Autolight, I think, Advance Auto parts. I've run fancy 8-8.5 mm "race" wires in previous "hot rod" cars. personally i never noticed the difference except a few missing bucks.

good luck and keep asking questions and describing your problem. Some one will have the answer.

Black
    00 WS6

My 00 Ws6 does not have a perfect idle, but it's not rough either. I have run a fuel system cleaner in the gas twice and it seems to have helped. My car has 47k on it with stock plugs and wires. I'm getting the feel that LS1s just don't idle perfect!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information