Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

spark plugs

This is a discussion on spark plugs within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by TOMASINO are this iridium or platinum??? and where can i get them??? Any auto store. Just ask ...

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by TOMASINO View Post
    are this iridium or platinum??? and where can i get them???
    Any auto store. Just ask for that model of plug with platinum or Iridium. They have all kinds of brands. Got mine at autozone. V_power

white

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Any auto store. Just ask for that model of plug with platinum or Iridium. They have all kinds of brands. Got mine at autozone. V_power
    ngk??? what are u running platinum and how are they???

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

ngk??? what are u running platinum and how are they???
    Running the "plain jane" v-powers.

NGK tr55s.

They still looked brand newish after about 30k. Had some red on them from fuel system cleaner but they had no smell nor any oil.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you obviously didn't pay attention in the other thread when I said to stop making stuff into your own personal attack. Warning this time......ban next time.
    I am not attacking anyone, I am agreeing with him, laughing at his joke! You must have misunderstood my conotation. I meant nothing by it, totally harmless comment.
    2002 Camaro Z28 Bolt ons, Flowmaster catback w/3" QTP electric cutout, Superchips tuned, Granatelli MAF, SLP cold air induction Lid & filter, ZEX powertune plugs, Taylor 10.4mm wires, 160 T-stat w/fan control, Eibach sportlines & BFG-KDW's on 17" SLP SS rims.

white

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Just installed NGK iridiums. the delco replacements were in good shape and she idles and revs so smooth and clean now or its just in my head
    i was gona get those but the guy at autozone said "don't get those they are very cold plug u car will misfire" im like what???

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Actually wasn't able to get the AR103's...

Got a friend of mine picking up the Delco plugs for me at his cost.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

i was gona get those but the guy at autozone said "don't get those they are very cold plug u car will misfire" im like what???
    Then the guy at Autozone is an idiot.

Heat range is determined by the plug number. Not the metal that the plug is made from.

You can have a copper, platinum, or Iridium plug and have the same heat range for all of them. As long as the plug is listed as the stock plug for your application, its the stock heat range regardless of metal.

I run the AC Delco Iriduims and I've been happy with them.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Then the guy at Autozone is an idiot.
    aren't most of them?
    I've had the old part in my hand and argued with the guy at the parts counter about it when he tried to sell me something that looked completely different

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Actually wasn't able to get the AR103's...

Got a friend of mine picking up the Delco plugs for me at his cost.
    Ya the AR is autolites racing plug. It's just the standard copper core plug with the ground electrode cut back. Something I do to all my plugs anyway. You can save yourself a little money and just go with the standard copper core 103's and cut your own ground strap back. Surprised you couldn't get the AR103's though. I know you can get them in the dual platinum plug though,,,part #APP103,,,that's what I run in both 4th gens. We used them on a dyno mule with great results after comparing to AC's and NGK's,,,Dyno operator liked what he saw with the Autolites. Stay away from the Jap plugs. 1 drop in heat range on the spark plug will drop combustion chamber temps anywhere from 50*celcius to 100* celcius. That is a ton load of temp drop. Something you can read on your exhaust gas temps on the dyno. We didn't see any of that with the NGK's playing with heat ranges,,,and the AC's no longer had various heat ranges to try other than stock replacement, (I'll explain that below). But the Autolites showed significant differences in temps.

I've been slowly transferring all the hotrods over to Autolites. I'll explain....

Unfortunately GM has been playing spark plug games with their part numbers so I can't use them anymore. In my chevelle I was running AC's FR1LS. Which come in 3 heat ranges,,,FR1LS,FR2LS, and FR3LS. Now these plugs have been superceded by one number,,,41-629. I ask how you can make 3 heat range plugs obsolete and replace them with one plug???
    This new number makes no reference to heat range at all,,,so you have to cross it with other plugs to compare. Turns out the 41-629 plug is relatively hot and equal to if not hotter than the FR3LS.
    ACdelco is also doing this with the older style plugs too like the classic R43S, R44S, etc... They are also doing the same thing with our 4th gens,,,with no reference to heat ranges on the LS1 plugs.
    Obviously they don't want you to run colder plugs in our cars. So I have switched to Autolites. I've noticed they are starting down the same path though not as bad yet.
    I now run autolite 3923's in my chevelle, which is a cross over from the obsolete AC FR2LS (middle heat range). Now this autolite 3923 has been superceded and can only be had in the racing plug only,,,part number AR3923,,,that's fine with me, it's just a cut back ground strap but you pay a little more for it. As I mentioned I cut my own ground straps back on the cheaper plug and saved a few bucks. $1.50 per plug verses $2.99 or something like that. Something I've been doing for years anyway.
    Sorry for the rant but it gives you an idea what ACdelco plugs are becoming. Deleting various heat ranges in all their part numbers and replacing with one hot plug. So my recommendation is to stay away from them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information