Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Spark Plug Change Prices

This is a discussion on Spark Plug Change Prices within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I might be getting it on the lift in a next weekend for something else and will take a look ...

Red
    1998, A4, T-TOP, Trans Am

I might be getting it on the lift in a next weekend for something else and will take a look at the back ones. Is it only the passenger side rear or both rears that you need to get from the bottom?

Black on black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Passenger side is the one that is the B#@ch and good luck. Take that $400 you saved and drop 100 at a bar once you are done. You will deserve it.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Cost me $17 and roughly an hour.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Cost me $17 and roughly an hour.
    what plugs did u use in your 402 lou??? what should i be using in my lpe 383???? ill do mine when i put long tubes in....late this summer or next yr likely.....and how long to the ngk's last??? typical 30k? as far as i know i still have stock plugs in or whatever lingenfelter put in if they changed them

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

NGK TR55's

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    NGK TR55's
    do they come pregaped or do i have to gap them?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    do they come pregaped or do i have to gap them?
    Yes they come pregapped. Typical life is like 20,000 I believe. I like to change em every other year.

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

i had more trouble getting the wires off than the plugs out! left side (driver) no problem. right, just remove the air injection tube and lay to the side(2 10mm bolts in the exaust manifold) try not to damage the gasket. rear right plug from the bottom. total job took 2.5 hours (taking my sweet ass time)

Black on black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

How high did you/do you have to jack up the car to get to the back plug? I also saw that year one had a custom made socket and wrench for that back plug ($35ish). Anybody using that?

Fancy socket is not needed. If you reach up from the bottom the rear plug on the passenger side is right there....I put a standard spark plug socket on with a 3/8 ratchet and it's changed in 5 minutes.....the rest come out from the top.

As far as how high to raise the car I can't say. I use the car lift and stand under it. Which is probably why it makes this plug a simple 5 minute process.

Laying on your back would be difficult to do...but I would think jack stands would need to be at maximum extension...

Red
    2001 Trans Am

so the NGK's are good quality? I'm a little paranoid about using anything then the Delco ones. Whats the price difference?

Quote Originally Posted by patriot1136 View Post
    so the NGK's are good quality? I'm a little paranoid about using anything then the Delco ones. Whats the price difference?
    I don't care for NGK's for reasons I've discussed before. If you want to use something other than Delco then Autolite would be my next choice, they are made by the same company..

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

NGKs are the plug of choice around here. About $1.80. I get the #8 from the top with a 3/8ths ratchet and a 1 inch exstention.

Green
    94 TA GT

I'm a bit confused why everyone is recommending the TR55. From what I can tell, this is not a platinum or iridium plug. It may perform good, but how long will it last before you have to change it again?

NGK recommends an Iridium TR5IX plug in this car (IX designates iridium electrodes). Iridium offers a big advantage in life, and the plug will stay in gap and the electrodes sharp for the life of the plug. The only reason I could see not to use it is if you were spraying nitrous. For a pretty much stock car, I would only use iridium plugs, no matter what brand, simply because they are so much of a pain to replace. I don't want to have to go back and do this job again in 25K miles, and would rather put a plug in that I know I can leave in there for the next 60-80K miles.

Maybe there is something about these TR55 plugs I am not aware of, but for my money and time (and labor) I am not putting anything in my car that isn't iridium.

By the way, the WS6 store carries a special cut down socket tool ($20) for removing the plugs that is supposed to make it a lot easier. I have one but haven't used it yet.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post
    I'm a bit confused why everyone is recommending the TR55. From what I can tell, this is not a platinum or iridium plug. It may perform good, but how long will it last before you have to change it again?

NGK recommends an Iridium TR5IX plug in this car (IX designates iridium electrodes). Iridium offers a big advantage in life, and the plug will stay in gap and the electrodes sharp for the life of the plug. The only reason I could see not to use it is if you were spraying nitrous. For a pretty much stock car, I would only use iridium plugs, no matter what brand, simply because they are so much of a pain to replace. I don't want to have to go back and do this job again in 25K miles, and would rather put a plug in that I know I can leave in there for the next 60-80K miles.

Maybe there is something about these TR55 plugs I am not aware of, but for my money and time (and labor) I am not putting anything in my car that isn't iridium.

By the way, the WS6 store carries a special cut down socket tool ($20) for removing the plugs that is supposed to make it a lot easier. I have one but haven't used it yet.
    Copper is a better conductor of electricity and a better performing plug. Changing them more frequently gives you a chance to see what's going on inside your engine as well.

01 ta red
    95 mustangV6

I ordered my plugs and wires for 72.00 msd wires and ngk plugs havent put them in yet kinda dreading it

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Book time for all 8 plugs is 2.7 hours. So multiple by the shop rate (say $100/hour) that $270 labor. But our shop, and other shops around here, run maintenance work different than that. We have a standard 8 cyl tune-up labor which is like 1.5 hours no matter how easy or hard they are. Its also at a maintenance labor rate of $60 -$80 per hour (I'm not sure what it is).
    Point of the story is shop around a little bit. Heck I'd even check out the dealership's price. Or maybe you can find someone to do it on the side?

Green
    94 TA GT

I would be willing to bet that gains you get from an iridium plug that maintains gap and sharp electrodes throughout it's entire life, outweigh any small benefit you get from a copper core plug, since the electrodes rapidly wear.

Initially, the copper plug may indeed offer a slight advantage, but I would bet that by 6K miles or so, the iridium is still firing like it did when new, while the copper core plug is already requiring more voltage to fire due to a widened gap and rounded off electrodes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information