Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    1998, A4, T-TOP, Trans Am

Spark Plug Change Prices

What is a good price for changing the spark plugs on LS1 Camaro/Firebirds? My local shop quoted me $470 for plugs/wires/labor for my 98 TA. Is that decent or expensive? I know there are two plugs that are a PITA to get to.

Pewter
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by McCool318 View Post
    What is a good price for changing the spark plugs on LS1 Camaro/Firebirds? My local shop quoted me $470 for plugs/wires/labor for my 98 TA. Is that decent or expensive? I know there are two plugs that are a PITA to get to.
    I think you should do it yourself just because I hate mechanics... (Its not their car and they don't give a rats ass about it)
    I haven't had to change the plugs on my car yet, but I think they are the same as the ones for the 5.3 engines. That means they are pretty damn expensive! And don't put aftermarket plugs in, because they suck more than anything in this world. Take my word for it, use actual Delco plugs in it.
    Wires for these engines are outrageously expensive also. I haven't ever tried aftermarket ones though.

Price on the parts is probably not going to cost them over 180-200, so they are wanting $270 dollars to get to two PITA spark plugs? I'd say hell no!

Red

I already have the AC delco Iridiums in my house. I am not sure how much he was charging per plug. My car has 150K on it and my mom never changed the plugs in it because she drove it like a grand ma but I hear a little bit of knock under WOT. The 470 was to change all 8 plugs though not just two.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by hec33 View Post
    I think you should do it yourself just because I hate mechanics... (Its not their car and they don't give a rats ass about it)
    I haven't had to change the plugs on my car yet, but I think they are the same as the ones for the 5.3 engines. That means they are pretty damn expensive! And don't put aftermarket plugs in, because they suck more than anything in this world. Take my word for it, use actual Delco plugs in it.
    Wires for these engines are outrageously expensive also. I haven't ever tried aftermarket ones though.

Price on the parts is probably not going to cost them over 180-200, so they are wanting $270 dollars to get to two PITA spark plugs? I'd say hell no!
    NGK TR55s is the plug of choice for this car (less than $2 per plug). Change them yourself it's really not that hard. Follow this write up. http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...g_and_wire.htm

Pewter
    1999 Z28 M6

I already have the AC delco Iridiums in my house. I am not sure how much he was charging per plug. My car has 150K on it and my mom never changed the plugs in it because she drove it like a grand ma but I hear a little bit of knock under WOT. The 470 was to change all 8 plugs though not just two.

I know that, but thats the only two that will take over a whole minute to get in... just go buy a 5/8 socket with a hex head on the back of it. You can stick that on the plug and turn it with a wrench... Its really not all that bad if you don't mind getting dirty.

Pewter
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    NGK TR55s is the plug of choice for this car (less than $2 per plug). Change them yourself it's really not that hard. Follow this write up. http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...g_and_wire.htm
    Awesome find, alot more help than me... haha

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by hec33 View Post
    Awesome find, alot more help than me... haha
    Got me thru my 1st one.

Red

I already have a tool kit to do it. My biggest problem with doing it myself is motovation. I work from 11 pm to 0700 from Sunday night until Thursday night. I can't do the work in my drive way because I live on a military base it they are gay about you doing any vehicle work/maintenance in your driveway. We have a hobby shop on base but they charge outrageous prices to use the stalls. By the time I finish with stall fees, tool rental and could have had a mechanic install it and I would be stressless and not dirty. I have the complete know how to do it. I helped a friend of mine do his LT1 Camaro in Okinawa. The hobby shops on base in Okinawa were cheaper. They only charged like 2.50-3.00 an hour with no hourly charge of using their tools not like this gayness I have here at Moody.

Pewter
    1999 Z28 M6

I already bookmarked it... I'll forget by the time I do it though

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I'd just leave the stockers in there till you have time and place to do it yourself. No way I'd pay $400+. If you've done plugs on an LT1 then the LS1 will be a cakewalk.

Pewter
    1999 Z28 M6

I already have a tool kit to do it. My biggest problem with doing it myself is motovation. I work from 11 pm to 0700 from Sunday night until Thursday night. I can't do the work in my drive way because I live on a military base it they are gay about you doing any vehicle work/maintenance in your driveway. We have a hobby shop on base but they charge outrageous prices to use the stalls. By the time I finish with stall fees, tool rental and could have had a mechanic install it and I would be stressless and not dirty. I have the complete know how to do it. I helped a friend of mine do his LT1 Camaro in Okinawa. The hobby shops on base in Okinawa were cheaper. They only charged like 2.50-3.00 an hour with no hourly charge of using their tools not like this gayness I have here at Moody.
    Thats pretty damn gay man... I replaced a diff in my parking spot at my apartments haha No extra room around here, and a bunch of anal neighbors too

Oh yea, LT1 a bitch to do...

Hope you figure something out

^+1 I been in the military for 20 years , as long as you don't spill tranny fluid in the salmon stream they don't give a rats ass.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Pewter
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    ^+1 I been in the military for 20 years , as long as you don't spill tranny fluid in the salmon stream they don't give a rats ass.
    Beautiful car sarge... Looks exactly like my first one

rapter34
    Id say wait to do it until you do LT's. makes the job a lot easier. unless you already have them in which case take your time use lots of curse words and do it yourself.

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    Here at Moody the housing is privatized and this civilian company is pretty strict (aka anal) about it. They came by the other day when I was changing out the clouded up stock headlights for my Xtravisions in my driveway. They asked what I was doing and if I am going to be finished soon.

Here at Moody the housing is privatized and this civilian company is pretty strict (aka anal) about it. They came by the other day when I was changing out the clouded up stock headlights for my Xtravisions in my driveway. They asked what I was doing and if I am going to be finished soon.
    Sorry but,,,,screw that!!!! Sounds like this place needs to restructure their rules and regulations,,,,yuk!!!! I thought this was America,,,,lol.

Kind of ironic that a military base has these rules and limitations,,,,,the same military that fights for our freedoms,,,,yet you don't have any while your there,,,,, That just cracks me up.

Anyway,,,changing them yourself is easy. #8 on passenger side is the toughest. I do this one from underneath, piece of cake. Goodluck.

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

bring it to me Ill do it for 200 (should try to find the time and do it yourself)

Red
    2001 Trans Am

shop around or get someone off the boards to do it. thats waaaaayyyy to expensive

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Sorry but,,,,screw that!!!! Sounds like this place needs to restructure their rules and regulations,,,,yuk!!!! I thought this was America,,,,lol.

Kind of ironic that a military base has these rules and limitations,,,,,the same military that fights for our freedoms,,,,yet you don't have any while your there,,,,, That just cracks me up.

Anyway,,,changing them yourself is easy. #8 on passenger side is the toughest. I do this one from underneath, piece of cake. Goodluck.
    If the 98 is anything like a 99 you can forget about getting it from the bottom the cats, are right in the way. Unless you are removing the cats. I just take my time and get it from the top, takes longer to do but it's the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    If the 98 is anything like a 99 you can forget about getting it from the bottom the cats, are right in the way. Unless you are removing the cats. I just take my time and get it from the top, takes longer to do but it's the last one.
    I was thinking all the cats were the same from 98-02,,,,

Mines an 02 and I reach up though the bottom,,,,,, maybe with the car on the lift it's much easier since I can stand up doing it. And I'm no pipsqueak,,been a bodybuilder for 25 years,,,,but I can squeeze my arm in there without removing the cat. It's a little uncomfortable for me but I can't get my arm through the top without removing a bunch of stuff. All the plugs take me about 45 minutes doing it this way.

Thread Information