blue
    2000 camaro z28

Spark plug change at every 100k?

I was going to change out my plugs, it has 35k miles on a 2000 camaro z28. The service provider at a chrevrolet said it will last til 100k miles ? They said I had platinum plugs installed. Tey said it would cost 600 bones to change it out if need be.

Is this right ? I thought I would have to change it every 30k, 60k miles and so forth. As always, thanks.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Lightbulb

I had mine changed at 60,000 miles the 1st time..they looked new..dealer was 180$ Canadian...that was in '03...changed them once again at 100,000 miles when headers went on....they looked pretty good then also...AC/DELCO IRIDIUMS ...ARE..the best as far as myself and obviously GM thinks...
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

blue
    2000 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by NHRAMAN View Post
    I had mine changed at 60,000 miles the 1st time..they looked new..dealer was 180$ Canadian...that was in '03...changed them once again at 100,000 miles when headers went on....they looked pretty good then also...AC/DELCO IRIDIUMS ...ARE..the best as far as myself and obviously GM thinks...
    heres a stupid question but how do you know when u need to change out the plugs, esp the ones in the back. I know taking it out and looking at it but how would u check out the ones in the back, the ones hard to take out. thanks for your post.

Quote Originally Posted by jinxeng View Post
    I was going to change out my plugs, it has 35k miles on a 2000 camaro z28. The service provider at a chrevrolet said it will last til 100k miles ? They said I had platinum plugs installed. Tey said it would cost 600 bones to change it out if need be.

Is this right ? I thought I would have to change it every 30k, 60k miles and so forth. As always, thanks.
    don't waste your money,they are fine

Yeah, you're fine. Mine came with Denso PTJ16R15's.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

manual says plugs and coolant every 100,000

True, but don't think I'd let either go that far - and wouldn't trust the GM oil life system for changes as far as I could throw it.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Smile

I changed out my plugs and wires at 42K on my 2000 Z28 because I was doing headers. They looked fine and had many many miles left I suspect. I honestly think the wires will need it before the plugs. No missing and no ticking sounds from around the coil packs and you are probably "good to go"

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

I changed my plugs at 110k and frankly they didn't look that bad at all for so many miles. Your just fine with AcDelco stockers.

blue
    2000 camaro z28

thanks for the tips bros

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

I changed mine at 98K and the gap had grown significantly. Installed new plugs and Aftermarket Wires and the Car felt much smoother and more powerfull.

Red
    99 Pontiac WS.6 Trans Am

I changed mine at 42K and agian at 98 k ... I saw a significant change in throttle response and gas ... that is one of the reason why I did it .. cheap upgrade for the gas prices ... when I tool the plugs out they looked fine to but with I replaced them with the NGK TR55's and MSD Wires it runs even smoother and get WAYYYYYYYYY better MPG ..... the cost of the tune up was around $70 and took about 2 hrs so I didnt mind it to much ... if ur just changing the plugs why not ... even cheaper if ur not doing the wires .... Im just really glad that I didnt put it off anylonger ... reguardless of what people say I change my plugs and wires about every 40 - 50 k ....
    99 WS6 Trans AM
    Hurst Shifter
    Aftermarket Throttle Body
    KN Air Filter
    Strut Tower Brace
    Z06 Rims

honestly we changed ours at 50k and it didn't run any different.I guess if you run it hard you might see a small differeance.But paying 600 at a dealer for something that is not going to be even noticable i think is crazy

Red
    99 Pontiac WS.6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by YoMommasTA View Post
    honestly we changed ours at 50k and it didn't run any different.I guess if you run it hard you might see a small differeance.But paying 600 at a dealer for something that is not going to be even noticable i think is crazy

damn bro that a lot of $$$ for a tune up ... cost me under $80 and 2 hrs to do the tune up .... I never ride my car hard and am very gentle with it, daily driver ....

dealer tune up easy 600 prolly a little more

black
    98 vette

plug gap

anyone know plug gap on NGK TR 55

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by jinxeng View Post

I would've asked if that comes with a lifetime supply of Vasoline..........
    They should be fine.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

My experience with plugs on these cars is not to push them over 30K if they are the factory plats or iridium. The gap does widen over time thus you lose a bit of bang for your buck.

Most of the factory plugs regardless of the branding were made by NGK to GM specs and, to tell you the truth, if I ever see another ND plug I may scream. They try to tell you they can cover 8 heat ranges at the same time, play around with the cross references.

As a very seasoned racer I will recommend a plug for anyone but specifics are needed to do so. Mods? Driving style? City so I know the cliimate?

After all these years the 41-932 has proven most of the rest out. In essence it's an NGK PTR5 but you won't find reference to it, only to the PTR4B which is far too hot for our engines.

[Edit:] The PTR4B is a 41-921 - just for reference.
    Last edited by Steve Crowe; 12-14-2006 at 10:02 PM.

Red
    99 Pontiac WS.6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by blackvette View Post
    anyone know plug gap on NGK TR 55

I gapped mine at .059 ....

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

Quote Originally Posted by 99WS6MAN View Post
    I gapped mine at .059 ....
    You're fine considering our ignition systems but I'd look at them 6K or so from now, the TR55 doesn't last too long in a WS6. The TR55IX does better but most of us in our shop still feel the plug is too hot unless you spend most of your life idling at stop lights.

Thread Information