red
    2001 formula

Spare tire issues?

Has anyone had any problem with their spare tires coming apart? My original spare tire and the pictures enclosed of my second spare have done the same thing. My original spare has never been on my car since I have owned it. This is what I found again on a rountine tire pressure check. You can see the tits are still on the tire. The car is an 01 formula.You car see the wheel has never been on the ground.

Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

well personaly I have never seen this with a spare, mine is still in good condition not in my car tho. It almost look like a blow out.
    98 Trans Am Custom Paint, Ghost Skuls On Racing Stripe + Custom Front Lip, :MODs Tubular K-member, Tubular Upper and lower A-arms, Tubular Control Arms, 4:10's, Cam L-.567/.575 D@.05-.212/.218,1.85 Roller Rockers, P&P Heads, ARH Headers & HF Cats & Y-Pipe, SLP loudmouth catback, +'s

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

i had a michilan sp? explode one day in the back of a crown vic. it had a bubble on it and kaboom. we were in a parking lot and thought somebody shot a gun or something.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Mines older than yours and doesnt even have cracks in it... Maybe to much pressure in the tire for to long like 90 lbs to much......had to have been a helluva bang tho.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

This is the result of heavy dry rot. I blackmagic mine once a year to prevent dry rot. If the spare is dry rotted enough then heat can raise its psi enough to pop it. Rare though.
    The one from my lumina is nearly 18 years old and gets treated with blackmagic aswell. Still holds air.
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-21-2009 at 09:23 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Interesting!! I've never seen or heard of anything like this before.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Like said above its probly too much heat and entirely too much tire pressure.
    Almost looks like a "re-tread"...
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Almost looks like a "re-tread"...
    J
    Yeah it does

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have never seen anything like this. How are the other rubber items on your car holding up (bump stops, door and hatch seals, etc.)? Anything funky ever get spilled in your hatch area that would conceivably attack rubber or accelerate dry rot?

red
    2001 formula

All other rubbers in like new shape. I inflate the tire to 60psi. Its strange this has happened to two spares. Like mentioned maybe i should lower the pressure here in our Texas heat and treat the tread with black magic.

Never had that happen to anything we have. Kinda strange. Although wouldn't be much of a loss for me, I never use those damn things anyway.

At least they are easy to replace, most junkyards I've been too give those things away. Used to take them all the time to cut apart and reweld centers in them for skinnies.

All rubber can't be the same. The rubber mats in the car are a big upgrade from earlier fabric mats (new with the LS1?) and seem like they would last forever. Maybe obvious disintegration on the spare tire is a blessing in disguise. I wouldn't want to drive even temporarily on a tire from the last century. As a rule, age makes them structurally unsound. By the way, I have no idea where my spare tire is.

red
    2001 formula

My only concern for having a good spare was now a days my daughter has the car back at college and it is a 200 mile drive back home for her when she wants to come home and i would hate for her not to have a spare. The wrecking yard did give me another free replacement which I will again check on her next visit back.

Quote Originally Posted by wnmech View Post
    My only concern for having a good spare was now a days my daughter has the car back at college and it is a 200 mile drive back home for her when she wants to come home and i would hate for her not to have a spare. The wrecking yard did give me another free replacement which I will again check on her next visit back.
    Good to hear. I can understand the need for the situation you are trying to prevent.

Too Old For Your Crap. kmassner's Avatar

Pewter
    2002 Z28 M6

[QUOTE=wnmech;2029478]Has anyone had any problem with their spare tires coming apart? My original spare tire and the pictures enclosed of my second spare have done the same thing. My original spare has never been on my car since I have owned it. This is what I found again on a rountine tire pressure check. You can see the tits are still on the tire. The car is an 01 formula.You car see the wheel has never been on the ground.
    QUOTE]

Odd. Mine looks just like it. I was convinced someone had cut it for me out of kindness.

Thread Information