Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Soo i dunno whats going on

So this morning i got up and went to class like normal, before i went to go to class i filled the car up with gas. Both times i started the car at the gas station i didnt have any problems. I started the car at school to come home and didnt have any problems.

Now heres the tricky part, When i went to go to work this afternoon the car would try to start and would eventually turn over and start but it took longer then the normal just turning the key pressing in the clutch and starting it. When i go to start the car i hear a odd noise that i cant quite explain.

So i went to work and tryed to turn it over at work a few times and it kept doing the same thing. So i went into work and worked for two hours came back out and tried to start the car. the son of a bitch turned right over no problem...... so i tried again..... fucker turned right over again with no problem. So when i got off work i tried to start it and no problem. WHOOO HOOO fixed right? So i get home and for shits and giggles i tried to turn it over again nope........

So does anyone have any idea about what this can be...........

If you can tell me ill try it, and if you figure it out thanks for the help ahead of time, as always.

Oh a few notes, i think it might be a belt???? when ive been turning on my AC or anything like that right when i start the car it makes a squeeling noise for a while until i drive it a little ways. Also the car is a 1995 Camaro Z-28 with a 6 speed oh and its not the starter its been replaced very recently. Anyway let me know guys! Ill be waiting.....

black
    2002 WS6

well, replacing the belts may help the squeaking. Otherwise its the starter, battery or fuel pump or filter. How would you describe the noise? Best way to get a diagnosis. Does the motor drag any when it turns over?

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Nope doesnt drag at all, how would i tell if its the battery or the fuel pump? The fuel pump it would probably idle ruff right? It doesnt idle ruff at all. Sooo? Battery? And the starters less then 2 months old, so im 100% its not that.

black
    2002 WS6

The battery can be taken in for a load test, foor teh fuel pump you need to hook up a pressure gauge to the system and see what is happening. It may not make the car udel rough but could. Is it ideling rough?

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    The battery can be taken in for a load test, foor teh fuel pump you need to hook up a pressure gauge to the system and see what is happening. It may not make the car udel rough but could. Is it ideling rough?
    Nope not at all, itll idle high for a little while when i start it up.

black
    2002 WS6

Ahh that,s normal. I would start with the fuel filter, its quick and cheap to do.. from there the next step is ignition and then fuel pump.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Someone suggested a tune up???? Possability?

black
    2002 WS6

Always a good idea

Red
    1999 Trans Am

ok well i guess ill check it and get back to you.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

my vote is for the optispark

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Well what would make the difference between it being the optispark(a tune up would take care of that) Vs a the fuel pump. Btw my car only has 105k miles on it.

red
    1999 trans am convert

the car would try to start and would eventually turn over and start but it took longer then the normal just turning the key pressing in the clutch
    By this did you mean it would crank very slowly or not at all when it wouldn't start?If not at all it might be clutch safety switch-if it cranks slowly it might be battery so get it tested.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Check pressure at the fuel rail.
    Tuneup
    Optishit

Onyx Black, M6
    2002 Berger Camaro SS #86

sounds kinda like a problem i had when i had my 98 Z28, it was the fuel pump. I'm sure there is still some post about this problem on the site somewhere... doesnt maintain the pressure in the fuel lines, has to turn over a few extra times while the pump gets fuel back thru the lines.

i dont really remember any odd noise being associated with it tho, so the other guys may be on to something...

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierSS02 View Post
    sounds kinda like a problem i had when i had my 98 Z28, it was the fuel pump. I'm sure there is still some post about this problem on the site somewhere... doesnt maintain the pressure in the fuel lines, has to turn over a few extra times while the pump gets fuel back thru the lines.

i dont really remember any odd noise being associated with it tho, so the other guys may be on to something...
    I had the exact same problem with my 2000 SS as the hoosierSS02 stated. Changed the fuel pump, and problem was resolved. Like Orion said, it could also be related to the Optispark, my buddy has an LT1 and has had nothing but problems related to his optispark.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 95camaroZNC View Post
    Well what would make the difference between it being the optispark(a tune up would take care of that) Vs a the fuel pump. Btw my car only has 105k miles on it.
    should be fairly simple to diagnose and at least rule out one or the other. Drive the car and get it hot and then when it fails to start check your fuel pressure and check for spark.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

So got up first thing this morning, cranked the car twice no problems started right up. Same thing all day long driving it to work and to get dinner and then leaving from dinner back home. No problems. Im begining to think its the battery and when its getting colder at night its having a hard time cranking.

It turned over every time when it did it yesterday there wasnt a time when it didnt start. It would just be slow about starting. Usually i press the clutch in, i turn the key it starts. What it was doing yesterday is i pressed the clutch in i turn the key it trys to start for a sec and then after maybe a sec or 2 turns over and starts.

Anyway im going to have the battery tested and see if thats it. If it turns out to be the fuel pump i checked my haynes maunal and it doesnt look too hard. I might do it myself if that does turn out to be it. No problems right now though. Thanks alot guys ill post again if it gives me crap again.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

well, if I'm understanding you correctly it does sound like either a battery issue or corroded wire or something. It tries to turn over but doesn't and then it starts? The starter engages and bogs kinda thing? If so that sounds like a voltage problem.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    well, if I'm understanding you correctly it does sound like either a battery issue or corroded wire or something. It tries to turn over but doesn't and then it starts? The starter engages and bogs kinda thing? If so that sounds like a voltage problem.
    Yeah what you said. Like if you were trying to start a car with a carb or something and it was cold. It would keep trying to start and then at some point it would start. But yeah thats what it did the last two times. It didnt do it at all today.

Give me a place to stand. levityinc3's Avatar

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

When I had my IROC I was having similar problems. I thought it was a vacuum leak, however it turned out to be my mass air flow sensor. It's real easy to replace and you can easily get a nice one for cheap. That is, if it's the problem.

Thread Information