White
    1998 Z28

Somethings about to go out

I can't tell if it is the PS pump or the alternator. It chirps while under a load. If the car is sitting and idleing it's fine unless you throttle it. When driving and on the gas it chirps but stops as soon as you let off. Any ideas as to which one it might be?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Is your tensioner in good shape? Usually the P/S will sing if you turn the steering wheel while stationary and idling as it puts a load on the pump. Can you reproduce the sound by simply revving the engine in park or neutral? If so, a simple way to isolate the source is to use a long narrow piece of wood. Press the wood against the suspected component and place your ear against the other end. The wood will transmit the sound to your ear. You will definitely know which component is making the noise -- just be careful you don't get wrapped up in the belts.

White
    1998 Z28

The tensioner is good. It is definitely coming from the driver side. It does not have the normal pump going bad sound (whine) when you turn the wheel. Wasn't sure if it might be the pulley bearing though. Yes I can reproduce the sound by revving the engine in park or neutral. I used an 18" extension to do the same thing as the wood block but not while revving. I will try that tomorrow. Every once in a while it smells like rubber burning. I definitely think a bearing is going bad just not sure which one.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Idler and tensioner pulleys should also be on the short list of suspects.

White
    1998 Z28

ok I will check all of them tomorrw.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Here is a TSB that I found that applies to our 98's that might be related to your problem.

BULLETIN NUMBER:
    00-06-01-008

SECTION:
    06 - Engine/Propulsion System

DATE:
    March 2000

TECHNICAL SUBJECT:
    Accessory Drive Belt Squeak/Chirp Noise (Install New Double Row Idler Pulley, Generator Bracket and Serpentine Belt)

MODELS:
    1998-2000 Chevrolet Camaro
    1998-2000 Pontiac Firebird
    Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint Y2107225 with 5.7L V8 Engine (VIN G - RPO LS1)

CONDITION
    Some customers may comment on a squeak/chirp noise coming from the accessory drive serpentine belt. The noise will be most noticeable at idle and low engine speeds.

CAUSE
    The serpentine belt squeak/chirp noise may be caused by misalignment between the idler pulley and crankshaft pulley. A slight rocking motion of the idler pulley causes the misalignment, which results in noise.

CORRECTION
    To correct this condition on vehicles built prior to the above VIN break point, install the new generator bracket, double row idler pulley and serpentine belt following Service Manual procedures.

The new generator bracket can be identified by the depth of the idler pulley mounting pilot. The pilot dimension (2) on the new generator bracket is 10 mm. Dimension (2) on the previous bracket was 8.3 mm.

Double Row Idler Pulley Assembly Part Number: 12563326 $39.53 + shipping @ gmapartsdirect
    Generator Bracket Part Number: 12563327 $14.82 = shipping @ gmpartsdirect
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 05-05-2011 at 08:36 AM.

Thread Information