215 heads,ms4cam,102 fast 2000ls1tranz's Avatar

White
    2000 trans am

Question is something wrong??????????

i've noticed my oil pressure gauge at idle sometime like jitters a lil bit back and forth is this normal??sorta has me worried? temp reads fine idle is at like 800 i think any help would be greatful...thanks

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 2000ls1tranz View Post
    i've noticed my oil pressure gauge at idle sometime like jitters a lil bit back and forth is this normal??sorta has me worried? temp reads fine idle is at like 800 i think any help would be greatful...thanks
    That sounds about right.......Mine idles about the same place and should jump around as you accelerate!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans am ws6

ya my ws6 does the same thing dont worry

White
    2000 trans am

Unhappy

yea mine moves when i accl. sometime forward or some times back then forward...but it also moves just sittin sometime at a stop at idle sometimes it jitters sorta fast a tad bit back an forth then stops and sometimes other times it just goes back a lil bit then forward just sittin at idle..

also i was noticin boil over or something i check coolant the protectin level was down but the car never read hot or never above the 210 mark but i would see coolant/water on the ground in front of the right tire so i drained the coolant an got it up to the right protectin level for boil over an freezin point...but i still noticed boil over in front ofthe front right tire...is this normal???

Triple Black
    1998 Trans Am WS.7 Vert

Mine does the same thing with the oil gauge. At idle it jitters pretty quickly and doesn't settle but once I start going, it rises a bit and holds steady. I worried about it for a while but the shop I use told me not to worry about it so I don't .

As for the coolant, I don't get any boil over but I have noticed that on those occasions when I push her a bit (and by a bit, I mean, going all out) that I'll smell coolant, more so when the top is down (duh...). The coolant level does go down after a while but not enough to make me worry, I've had rice burners that lost coolant faster without leaks. Also, does anyone else notice that during normal cruising the temp stays at about 160-170 but if you're stuck in traffic or exercising the car a bit that the temp will go up to about 205?

white
    01 formula

my car has always run 210 on the gauge and i get 30 mpg hwy. i think theres something to it. so dont freak if your cars run 210 if it starts steaming and fogging up your windshield then you should worry , and as far as the coolant smell any car ive ever driven that has a recovery tank has put out a coolant smell when warm,cause as the coolant warms it expands ,as it expands and pressurises the radiator (to 16 psi) the radiator cap releases some of it into the recovery tank as the recovery tank is filled the air is displaced from it, the air carries the scent of coolant and thus you smell it. simple enough right?

Green
    95 Camaro

Ha!
    Lovin this Board already! Just bought myself a 95 with the LT1 and i thought the oil pressure was a little low but everything looks good from what you guy`s have posted. I do have a few other questions but i will post them maybe you guy`s can take a look and give me sme Answers..?

Thanks
    Mal

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

+1 for another jittery oil pressure gauge.

Mine does it when the car is fully warmed up and the oil pressure is sitting at about 35PSI at idle. If you look closely you can see it fluttering around slightly. As soon as you hit the throttle though, it smooths out and moves up steadily.

White
    2000 trans am

Talking

well i would like to thank everyone who has helped me out..if has sorta been a stress reliever knowin bout the oil pressure thing...thanks a bunch guys

on the coolant thing i dont just smell coolant tho i see it on the ground after i get out right under the front right tire...ever had this happen???

Thread Information