Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

white

so im pissed off...will someone point me in the right direction

So my dumbass ran out of gas lastnight......and went and had it towed to a gas station....thats pretty much the easy part of the story......theres alot more to it, but im just trying to get over it....anyway.....So I filled up the gas tank and the car wont start.....Im not hearing the fuel pump cycling or turning on at all.....now Ive come to find out a new pump is $400 plus 200 labor because the pump is an internal pump, and I dont have the means to drop the tank myself......My question is is there an easy way to replace the pump....and and or what steps do I need to take to get to the pump???? and does anyone know of a place to get a cheaper pump??????

thanks guys.....

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

#1 cheap pump = buying it again soon.
    #2 there is an easier way, the tank is right under your back dash (or whatever it's called) and you can cut an access hole to get to the pump. There is a write up on it, and I'm sure somone here who has a link will chime in soon

I'd check the fuel pump fuse and relay first just to be sure...and hope for the best. There's a link on LS2 for cutting an access hole on the rear deck on a '98 - I'll find it for ya.

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=1792 For those finding this thread later a friend of mine did this to replace his sending unit on his 2K and the location was a little different - probably cause the 98 tanks are different from the 99 and up.

white

Thats a big help guys......that saves me some money....on the labor aspect! now does anyone know where to get a cheaper upgraded pump.....everyone is talking about the walbro but I cannot seem to find it on there website??? any other pump will work just fine as well... let me know what u guys can come up with.... HAIL to the ls1 members.....U GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't think you need an upgraded pump, unless you really want one - GM replacement from a sponsor should do fine. Running a F-body, or any other vehicle low on gas these days is If it's the pump I'd also replace the fuel filter.

white

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
    Don't think you need an upgraded pump, unless you really want one - GM replacement from a sponsor should do fine. Running a F-body, or any other vehicle low on gas these days is If it's the pump I'd also replace the fuel filter.
    well what I meant to say is an aftermarket pump but usally aftermarket pumps tend to be more of an upgrade for the same price or less than the factory......and im just trying to c if anyone here knows of where to get a aftermarket or a oem replacement for a less..........I know im probal a jackass asking this but where is the fuel filter located????? im just so used to carb set ups....thanks

www.installuniversity.com has a couple articles, with pics on fuel filter replacement.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Before you pull the pump....replace the fuel filter, check the fuse and relay like 2001nmbz28 said. Sometimes there's a lot of sludge and shit in the tank....when you ran out of gas some could have got sucked up.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    Before you pull the pump....replace the fuel filter, check the fuse and relay like 2001nmbz28 said. Sometimes there's a lot of sludge and shit in the tank....when you ran out of gas some could have got sucked up.
    I tend to agree with this guy a lot. I would exhaust everything else before moving to the pump. If you're not hearing it prime I doubt it's just shit from the tank but I could be wrong on that. I would look at the fuses and relay first then maybe even check your harness to make sure you're getting voltage back there. It could end up being the pump but I would start small and work your way to that point. Dropping the tank really isn't that big of a deal. If you decide to go that route give me a shout and I'll do a quick write up for you on doing it. I just dropped my tank twice over the winter so I'm pretty affluent at it.

As for a pump if you end up needing one. Check out Harrisspeedworks.com and look at the racetronix kits. That's the kit I put in and can't begin to tell you how nice the kit is and how detailed the instructions were. It was a really simple and straight forward install.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Moral of the story, don't run these cars with low gas b/c thats also the coolant.

Maroon
    86 Trans Am

i would check the relay and if that is bad replace it and if it still doesnt start check the regulator it could be bad also. i guess you could cut a hole if you think thats the right answer

white

Doe anyone know if the fuel pump from the 1999 and up trans am will work for the 1998 I know the tanks are the different but are the fuel pumps......?

thanks marc

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Check out www.racetronix.com if you buy a pump.

Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by getheadallthetime View Post
    Doe anyone know if the fuel pump from the 1999 and up trans am will work for the 1998 I know the tanks are the different but are the fuel pumps......?

thanks marc
    The pumps are different.

black
    2002 trans am ws6

1 had a 98 ta that ran out of gas and it burned out the pump (not a cheap fix) if you replace the pump and look at the bill i bet you won't run out again.

white

sO i REPLACED THE pump and still no go my gauge is reading 12psi, what the fuck is going on.....my car pump turns on now but is not starting and the pressure will not go up...?????????more help guys please!!!!!?????????????

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

did you ever change your fuel filter?

1997 Formula & 2003 cobra
    did you hit the gas pedal like a few times before you started the car? there was no gas in the system, you should hit the gas a few times so gas will move to engine and then try to start.. if it doesnt help then your fuel pump is not pumping.

Thread Information