Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

so im getting 8-9 mpg...

This is a discussion on so im getting 8-9 mpg... within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; well now im just confused as a mofo. for the last few weeks mileage has been horrible. yet this week ...

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

well now im just confused as a mofo. for the last few weeks mileage has been horrible. yet this week ive done 70 miles and still have half a tank. maybe there was something screwy going on with the gas? i put in shell last time. im surprised because after 80-90 miles id have to fill up agian. now im starting to get suspicious of some of the gas stations ive been going to.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by slpdablueZ28 View Post
    well now im just confused as a mofo. for the last few weeks mileage has been horrible. yet this week ive done 70 miles and still have half a tank. maybe there was something screwy going on with the gas? i put in shell last time. im surprised because after 80-90 miles id have to fill up agian. now im starting to get suspicious of some of the gas stations ive been going to.
    didnt shell just change over their gas?

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

ya check this out

Nitrogen Enriched Fuel!? Sarge!?

IDK maybe thats why???????

Quote Originally Posted by slpdablueZ28 View Post
    Keep in mind, you are out on the East coast. Pretty much everything East of the Mississippi uses a special formula in the gas during the cold season to prevent fuel line freeze up. This also kills the mileage, and can also cause vapor lock problems due to it's much lower flash point, (on a carbed car). This just compounds the ethynol problem as well.
    I know for a fact that in Ohio the gas stations don't change over to the much more friendly summer grade until mid April.

It's also best to stay away from the little mom and pop gas stations, and especially stay away from the cheap gas from the local food chain stores like Biggs, Sams, Krogers etc....I've actually had to completely drain the gas out after my wife filled up at one of these stations, the car just ran horrible.

Best to stick to a name brand like Shell, Sunoco, BP, etc...and choose your favorite from there.

None of this will cure 8 mpg though, but it does contribute.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 03-13-2009 at 10:36 AM.

black
    99 Z28

change your plugs and make sure they are gapped correctly. change fuel filter as well.

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

with the shell gas im getting around 13-14 mpg. maybe it was just the winter or the cheapo station. guess ill change the filter anyway just to be sure

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

Another thought, bear in mind that going from 75 to 35 degrees translates to about 10% more HP due to the denser air. You can see a bit more than that if it pulls your block temp down a few degrees. More HP is more gas.

I worry about bad gas now that I am in a new area. So when I get fired back up I'll be monitoring my fuel trims and sampling gas around here.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by BowTied View Post
    Another thought, bear in mind that going from 75 to 35 degrees translates to about 10% more HP due to the denser air. You can see a bit more than that if it pulls your block temp down a few degrees. More HP is more gas.

I worry about bad gas now that I am in a new area. So when I get fired back up I'll be monitoring my fuel trims and sampling gas around here.
    Hmm. More HP isnt more gas.

Headers/Lid/underdrive pulleys will give you more HP but a lot more MPG

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

JoshieDoom that is what many think...it is the wrong conclusion. More dense air is more O2...at the same fueling that will read lean...and the ECM will will start adjusting the fuel trim towards stoich.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by BowTied View Post
    JoshieDoom that is what many think...it is the wrong conclusion. More dense air is more O2...at the same fueling that will read lean...and the ECM will will start adjusting the fuel trim towards stoich.
    Depends what your talking about dense air yes eat up some MPG and gain you some HP but more HP doesnt always equal less MPG. Headers WILL give you better mpg if you drive the same. Proven fact

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

yeah its probably because the throttle doesn't have to cracked open as far to maintain the same MPH.
    If it takes 20HP to maintain 55mph at 10% throttle angle before and now it only takes 9% throttle angle to make 20 hp, thats where the savings would be.
    Those are just random numbers BTW, I have no idea what the actual number should be.

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

Oh, I meant in the case of air temp, density.

Headers, Lighter Pulleys, Lighter Drive Train Parts, or having Lower MOI, many air intake parts that free up air, larger better breathing intake manifolds....all these things and more (aim to) reduce waste energy. They can actually get you better mpg and save gas and/or you can get more HP or HP and torque to the wheels. They all are designed to increase efficiency. This is the under sold aspect of bolt-ons. You can often get both...but how they blend with other parts sometimes doesn't mesh as well as people would like or hope!

Black
    2000 Z-28

But who drives how they would with a stock car when they have all those goodies?! lol

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    But who drives how they would with a stock car when they have all those goodies?! lol
    Depends on my attitude and if im going on a road trip.

The 98 fuel tank is a smaller metal tank and takes me on average 10.2 to 10.7 gallons to fill up on complete E. With all my random crap I got 152ish miles to half a tank.. Do the math
    Last edited by JoshieDoom; 03-14-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Depends on my attitude and if im going on a road trip.

The 98 fuel tank is a smaller metal tank and takes me on average 10.2 to 10.7 gallons to fill up on complete E. With all my random crap I got 152ish miles to half a tank.. Do the math
    14.9? lol Yeah I can drive my car conservatively but now with the cam it sucks it down like crazy!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

14.9? lol Yeah I can drive my car conservatively but now with the cam it sucks it down like crazy!
    152/5.5=? Not 14.9

Black
    2000 Z-28

152/10.2=14.9

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

152/10.2=14.9
    I highlighted my original post for you

Black
    2000 Z-28

14.9*2=29.8....didn't see the half tank

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

14.9*2=29.8....didn't see the half tank
    hahaha yeah.. i need a tune badly. There is no way im getting that much MPG safely on a 158k A4 tranmission. I am running lean as a MF

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information