Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

so im getting 8-9 mpg...

any idea wat can be happening. i dont think ive ever had gas mileage that bad.
    2002 z28-slp cai, slp loudmouth, slp tuned headers, slp 85 mm MAF, slp high flow cats, 3" y-pipe and collectors
    331.6 rwhp/356.9 rwtq

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by slpdablueZ28 View Post
    Holly crap thats horrible, What kind of tune does it have, I have heads, cam, and intake and still get 21mpg and thats getting on it every once and a while.
    Is your car an auto or six speed?

Whens the last time its had a good fuel filter, plugs, and wires

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

its an auto. it used to be doing fine. but since i got back home its been shitty. i think i might have an exhaust leak would that affect gas mileage? or is it just the nyc driving thats doing it?

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

its an auto. it used to be doing fine. but since i got back home its been shitty. i think i might have an exhaust leak would that affect gas mileage? or is it just the nyc driving thats doing it?
    Honestly alot of city driving will kick an autos ass as far as mileage goes, with that said however 8-9mpg is way off. My buddies 01 ss auto gets about 17 in the city with similar mods to yours. Also when my car was stock way back when lol I went from getting 32mpg highway and 19 city to 22 highway 15 city due to the front O2 sensors going bad. I replaced them and was right back to normal.
    Last edited by Justin93; 03-07-2009 at 01:10 PM.

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

i normally used to get around 15 in the city. this is a big drop in mileage for me

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

why do you have that maf? Is the car tuned for that "special" maf? You still have both front and rear 02's? Cat? Any codes? Codes turned off? Plugs? Fuel filter?

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    why do you have that maf? Is the car tuned for that "special" maf? You still have both front and rear 02's? Cat? Any codes? Codes turned off? Plugs? Fuel filter?
    bought it a while back cause i thought it would help. last thing i did to the car was have it tuned and its been running good. on the highway ive been getting around 25 mpg. still have all the o2s and cats. theres no codes popping up. spark plugs i changed about a year and a half ago. fuel filter i never touched

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Does it seem to be running rich? can you smell it? I assume you still have all 4 gears and torque converter clutch working. Maybe someone is siphoning gas from you?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

remove some of the lead from your foot?

Ive always noticed my gas mileage goes to shit a tank or two before something breaks

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Fuel leak somewhere???

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Does it seem to be running rich? can you smell it? I assume you still have all 4 gears and torque converter clutch working. Maybe someone is siphoning gas from you?
    its all working fine but by the time it shifts to second i already have to be slowing down most of the time

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    remove some of the lead from your foot?

Ive always noticed my gas mileage goes to shit a tank or two before something breaks
    i havent been driving any more aggressively than before

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Fuel leak somewhere???
    havent seen any puddles around the car, havent smelt anything either

black
    2002 WS6

my first guess is fuel filter if it has never been done, next would be the O2s, one or both front ones could have drifted out of calibration but not set a code. Could also try putting the stock MAF back in and seeing what happens?

Also get a scanner and see if it entering closed loop? What is your water temp doing?

Damn,,,my 638hp 454 chevelle with 4.10 gears and no overdrive does better than that

You sure there isn't a huge leak somewhere before it reaches the motor??? Is your math correct??

In all seriousness you definately have something going on. Even if it never reaches closed loop for whatever reason I still can't see 8 mpg,,,sheeeesh

You definately need to get a scanner on that thing and go for a drive to see whats going on. You've got some very slow switching 02's or an MAF thats so dirty it's not metering fuel properly,,,,but still,,,8 mpg????

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    my first guess is fuel filter if it has never been done, next would be the O2s, one or both front ones could have drifted out of calibration but not set a code. Could also try putting the stock MAF back in and seeing what happens?

Also get a scanner and see if it entering closed loop? What is your water temp doing?
    i figured at first it might have been just the cold weather that was making it burn a lot of gas. i used to have lean codes thrown by the o2s until i got my tune. i dont think i have the stock maf anymore and this maf never gave me a problem with anything. i got a diablo programmer ill try to see if itll read anything. but i think i have an exhaust leak would that do anything?

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Damn,,,my 638hp 454 chevelle with 4.10 gears and no overdrive does better than that

You sure there isn't a huge leak somewhere before it reaches the motor??? Is your math correct??

In all seriousness you definately have something going on. Even if it never reaches closed loop for whatever reason I still can't see 8 mpg,,,sheeeesh

You definately need to get a scanner on that thing and go for a drive to see whats going on. You've got some very slow switching 02's or an MAF thats so dirty it's not metering fuel properly,,,,but still,,,8 mpg????
    i always put $20 into the tank which is almost 10 gallons on the dot. i do somewhere between 80 and 90 miles before i have to put in another 20

black
    2002 WS6

depends on where it is? but, it could possibly cause it if it were near the cats or O2s.

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    depends on where it is? but, it could possibly cause it if it were near the cats or O2s.
    thats where i think it might be coming from. i think it might be just infront of one of my cats

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Fuel thief hitting your tank??

Thread Information