Red
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Smoke from engine bay.....

This morning when I came home from work, I pulled into my driveway and notice a small amount of smoke coming from the passenger side of my engine. I opened the hood and a little more came out. It was a lite color, not steam, but I can't tell if it was blue....It smelled more or less like a clutch burning smell....but I have no clutch problems. I can't determine where it was emitting from other than from the passenger side rear engine area

I just got to work noe and I babied her all the way. I opened the hood with the engine running and I could smell the burn but couldn't see it. I reved her a few times and noticed a little smoke from the "air valve"? I forget what its called but I think it collects a small amount of oil. Its located on the top passenger side. Its a rubber tube that connect to this valve and then turns into a metal pipe which connects to a spot next to the front spark plug on the passenger side.

Anyone know what problem I might be experiencing?????
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, M6, Eibach Pro-kit, BMR STB, BMR Adj-PHB, BMR RB's, BMR SB's, BMR Adj-TA, KYB Adj-shocks, K&N, SLP LM, SLP Y-Pipe, SLP Intake, Predator Custom Tuned...

Treat her well and she'll put a smile on your face every time you get on her!

white
    1999 Trans AM 30th anniv.

probably developed a small oil leak,1 drop of oil can smoke quite a bit ,have one of your buds ck it for you ,

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

might want to look at your power steering pump and fluid also. there is a chance it could be the the rubber hose just past the metal could be or couold have rubbed a cut or hole in it. that happened to my old Z28 but only when you turned the wheels at really low speed like pulling into a parking spot you would see smoke. plus you would see the leak on the ground. regardless good luck and hope you find and fix it!
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Try replacing the gasket for the AIR tube you're describing...the one inbetween the exhaust manifold and AIR tube.

Red
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Thanks for you responses....found the prob. The 'air check valve' was burning up on the inside. I unscrewed them both and found the whole fixture on the inside was rattleing and loose. I trouble shooted by switching them, drove around the block and opened the hood to find the other side was now smoking. It was also really hot around the 'air tube' on the valve I switched each time. This is the second pair of valves I've had to replace....the first time I had a code thrown, but this time no code....hhmmmm. Glad Kragen actually had them in stock! $40 fix!

This was probably gonna catch something on fire, FWIW! Hope this helps others in the future...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

that same thing happened to me last week
    my air check valve was broken and rattling and was VERY HOT
    i used the same fix!

Thread Information