Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SLP Lids

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

SLP Lids

How much horsepower and air flow increase can you get fron a SLP Lid?

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

All lids flow pretty much the same, and they all gain in the 8-12 hp at the wheels. Great first mod, along with SFC.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

If you have time do the FRA mod also...here's the link, click on install documents on the uper left, then the free ram air mod. They have other good free mods there also...good luck

http://installuniversity.com/install...sity/index.htm

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711
    All lids flow pretty much the same, and they all gain in the 8-12 hp at the wheels. Great first mod, along with SFC.
    I do not agree at all, IF YOU ARE LUCKY you will gain 1 hp. at the crank, the MAF and the Throttle Body would have to be replaced with larger flowing units to gain the numbers you are quoting.

SteveC

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

With a lid and the fra mod you will gain more than 1 hp at the crank...the stocker is pretty restrictive along with only pulling air though the 1/4 slot in the baffle. Porting the TB will help of course...but the stock maf is good to at least 600 ponies, and any benefit over the stocker wouldn't be worth the cost...which is expensive. Plus i've heard nothing but horror stories about aftermarket maf's.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Lid gains you 1 hp at the crank? So about .8 hp at the wheels then? Oh ok, all those dyno sheets I've seen posted before must be wrong, along with magazine articles which dynoed one lid after another to see which flowed the best. 1 hp?? Yeah I realize some gain more and some less then others and diff. dyno diff. day rules apply but you've got to be kidding me about the 1 hp number right?

redls1bird
    I havent done the befor/after dyno when i installed my lid, so i cant say with certainty what it does. I know it SOUNDED much better with the lid. It was a very noticable difference. As for power to the ground? It feels like it breathes easier, but at the same time, your expecting a difference and you hear a difference, so why wouldnt there be one? right? Bottom line is you cant expect such a simple bolton mod to substantially increase to rwhp, but it does support other mods that will.

dmnall
    I can say that when I had my camaro, I ran the stock lid with just Dynomouth for about a year before I decided on buying a lid and cai. I will say that after installing an slp lid, slp cai and k&n filter, my car had gained a considerable amount of sotp feel, it also revved faster as well as hit 100+ with very little effort (considering an A4 w/ 2.73).

Charlie

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

For $80 I will ship you mine.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Black
    2002 Camaro

Ok.... A 1 Hp gain???? I dont think so. Bottom line.. A engine is a giant vacum, the more air you give it the better it goes. A lid is a definate first mod, Consider it this way... Its the first restriction in the entire set-up so you would be dumb if you started adding things like a MAF, smooth bellow, ect because even though you have helped your engine breith a little easier you still havnt removed the first restriction. Have you ever taken your lid, and air cleaner off??? Its rediculas what GM gave that baby to breath through. Bottom line the first mods you need to make for more horspower are a cold air kit, air filter, and lid. and dont buy one of those damn K&N cold air kits, Do the mod above and the lid with a K&N and you will feel results. Now before I start having like 30 people debate on what air filter is better, I will say this, I like K&N, I have ran other products and so far K&N is the only filter I have used that I could feel results, its my opinion that you should use a K&N, but use whatever you want as long as its not a stock replacement paper filter.

I have a k&n filter with a slp lid on my 99 SS
    I think the slp lid is after market. I cant get to the car right now its stored for the winter. But should i do the free ram air mod or is this already done on camaro ss or the slp lid.

03 Terminator

Quote Originally Posted by skar
    I have a k&n filter with a slp lid on my 99 SS
    I think the slp lid is after market. I cant get to the car right now its stored for the winter. But should i do the free ram air mod or is this already done on camaro ss or the slp lid.
    the FRA mod wont be done to your car unless you or maybe the person who owned it before you did it to the car.

Navy Blue
    1999 Z28 A4

Definately go with a lid as your first mod

I was surprised how my car sounded and reacted after the lid/k&n/!fra mod

floored it up my friends street the other day when he was standing in the driveway and he asked me if i had gotten exhaust (made me feel good haha) - can't wait to see what he says when i do the same thing after i put on the magnaflow catback that is sitting downstairs

Lid is a must have
    Last edited by Blazingz28; 12-24-2005 at 09:51 AM.

Black
    1998 Trans am

I cant give you a number, but in a few months when the drag strips open back up in Mi. I will give you the difference in ET's..My T/A is box stock and a lid is going to be my first mod, I will make three runs with the stock air box and average them, then install the lid and make three more and average them. I think this would be a good test. Dont know if it has been done yet, but I would be happy to post the results if any one is interested. See ya.
    John

2001 stripper
    Quote Originally Posted by goose_von
    How much horsepower and air flow increase can you get fron a SLP Lid?
    I gained 8.5 RWHP with a lid on the same dyno, same day

Black
    02 Z06

I have the SLP lid and K&N filter and I lover it! It fits great , looks good , and I defintely felt and heard the difference. I was surprised.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

GMHTP magazine rated SLP lid as the best with gain around 12rwhp! cheap easy mod. Even if it didnt work, it cleans up the engine bay nicely!

Black
    02 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7
    GMHTP magazine rated SLP lid as the best with gain around 12rwhp! cheap easy mod. Even if it didnt work, it cleans up the engine bay nicely!
    yeah I defintely agree. I had no clue how much it was going to eliminate when stalling it. It removes the sound baffles completely and just looks a lot better.

For the most part...a lid is a lid...but if you havnt bought it yet get TSP's for the best design and to support a great vendor.

12 rwhp we don't drive 03 Cobras Gentlemen
    07' Trailblazer SS AWD 3SS - Imperial Blue
    05' GTO - Midnight Blue Metallic
    99' Trans Am WS.6 - Nighthawk Black Pearl w/ flames

I went to Playboy Mansion FantaZGuy28's Avatar

YJ
    04 GTO M6

When my buddy had the Flo Pac and raven muffler on his 99 Z M6, and I just had Loudmouth. He would kick my ass, but once I put a Lid on my car, ive gotten better top end than him. As well as ive done the FRA and have a K&N filter on there. Defently get a lid, one of your best mods you will ever have.

Thread Information