Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

SLP lid is Broke

This is a discussion on SLP lid is Broke within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones I don't recall putting any type of weather strip on mine at all. I'll have to ...

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I don't recall putting any type of weather strip on mine at all. I'll have to eyeball it more tomorrow and see if there is anything in the back portion that can be altered.
    The lid comes w/ a piece of weatherstripping to help seal the back of it...the weatherstrip does make it harder to fit properly though...

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

i tryed with and without the strip and it still rubed and with out it the tebs holding it on dont stay on and it dose smoth the surfic. im trying to get the rest of it to look like it or ill just sant and paint it later

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by emotionalpiracy View Post
    everyone has this problem because slp wants you to buy the entire slp intake system. when you use their maf and flopac theres this extra connedcting piece that goes from the lid to the maf
    Not true, my SLP lid went right on with no problems, all I had to do is push the rear tabs all the way into the base of the air box.

SteveC

Quote Originally Posted by jujofields View Post
    The lid comes w/ a piece of weatherstripping to help seal the back of it...the weatherstrip does make it harder to fit properly though...
    I pulled the lid off and checked it out. I didn't install any weather stripping anywhere so I'm good there.

Mine still touches the bottom of the hood right at the highest point of the neck before it goes into the MAF. I have just lived with it.

If there were another way to address it I might, but I don't think I want to try sticking a heat gun up there and disorting the plastic.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Let's keep it civil.....I'm watching. Click for full size
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    dang what cha drinking ? them eyes are going wild
    he's not drinking shit. those are his lazy eyes keeping things in check. from what i hear its a slight advantage for him in the back country when he's deer hunting...

to the OP, the SLP lid is hit and miss with some people. i havent had any issues to date w/mine, but it's unfortunate to hear that you have...

Black
    2002 A4 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by midi_2001 View Post
    WOW. Hearing the experiences with the SLP lid...um, I'm 'almost' speechless! (Not.)

After installing Kooks LT headers (minimum 24" vehicle lift, Hooker requires 36" lift...lol), Kooks ORY-pipe, Magnaflow C-back, Magnecor 8.5mm comp. wires and UMI SFC's, I went after the SLP lid. By far, the SLP lid was the most LEAST labor intensive step out of all of my upgrades. If you had issues, you might want to consider a job as a hair stylist. This install IS quite simple. Took about an hour (just guessing; maybe less, take out the barley pop time). As far as the hair dryer thing goes, it helped. Had my bud (wife) hold the dryer for a bit; add a little attitude and bingo, it fits.

Bottom line, the SLP lid is a nice kit. But, don't forget the smooth bellows, it all works together.
    the barley pop time!!!!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Let's keep it civil.....I'm watching. Click for full size
    <-- like that??? or more like <-- potty cam...

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Did that actually work heating and reforming it without distorting the appearance????

I have the same problem on my 02 SS. Although it's too late on mine as it has worn the paint off of the hood now,,,,oh well.
    Okay, now i can relate to something. Mine wears the paint off the hood too.

white
    2002 B4C

The new ones with SLp in white logo are less likely to rub hood, but may be harder to put on MAF. I'll link to some picks...look at bottom pic... http://www.ashevillecamaroclub.hostsnake.com/index.html

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by TedsB4Csled View Post
    The new ones with SLp in white logo are less likely to rub hood, but may be harder to put on MAF. I'll link to some picks...look at bottom pic... http://www.ashevillecamaroclub.hostsnake.com/index.html
    That's the one I have. On a '99.

Quote Originally Posted by TedsB4Csled View Post
    Well thats the one I have,,,,and it rubs the hood. And wasn't hard to put on my stock MAF, I didn't use heat or lube,,,,,it went on with minimal fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Okay, now i can relate to something. Mine wears the paint off the hood too.
    Ya,,,,I figure the damage is done so I left it alone. Maybe sometime when I get ambitious enough to tinker with other options in this area I'll do something about it. For now it's not really hurting anything else.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I did my last nite. Small amount of heat to slide in the MAF. No big deal. But trying to install it with the Smooth Bellows is just about impossible. I had to unbolt my rad support, install the lid/maf/smooth bellows to it and then install that big mass to the car and TB. Which really doesn't bother me too much except when everything is back together, the lid gets pushed back and the back end of the lid doesn't seal. I can stick a pinky in there. I may just go back to the stock bellows.
    oh and I also had problems installing that plastic plug in the side of the lid. I ended up poking a small hole in it with my pocket screw driver.

white
    2002 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I did my last nite. Small amount of heat to slide in the MAF. No big deal. But trying to install it with the Smooth Bellows is just about impossible. I had to unbolt my rad support, install the lid/maf/smooth bellows to it and then install that big mass to the car and TB. Which really doesn't bother me too much except when everything is back together, the lid gets pushed back and the back end of the lid doesn't seal. I can stick a pinky in there. I may just go back to the stock bellows.
    oh and I also had problems installing that plastic plug in the side of the lid. I ended up poking a small hole in it with my pocket screw driver.
    You can cut a small amount of the bellow for better fit per SLP. Also, I had to cut rad support to fit all of it and get rid of the space on lid. SUcks, but be patient. Looks good when it's done...no accordian! You need pics of my hack, I mean install? Ping me.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Well I decided to grab a beer and head out to the garage and fiddle. I ended threading two black factory looking screws(10mm head w/captured washer) into the back to corners of the lid/lower box right at the lid "fingers". That seems to be holding the lid down for a good seal to the filter. For now it looks and fits fine and I think I'll leave it.

white
    2002 B4C

Grab another beer and it will look even better! Good job. What's next?

Sounds similar to mine. I installed the smooth bellow as well and found that it was easier to assemble the entire lid/MAF/bellow and install on the car as one unit. Only difference is mine all fit without any trimming and sealed fine.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I wonder if my WS6 lower airbox is screwing up the angles and causing my misalignment woes. I fiddle with it some more tonite. I drilled a small holes in the plastic of the lower box and the lid "finger" and ran a screw through at both rear corners. The damn thing isn't gonna lift any more in the back.

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    i tryed with and without the strip and it still rubed and with out it the tebs holding it on dont stay on and it dose smoth the surfic. im trying to get the rest of it to look like it or ill just sant and paint it later
    W....T....F....????

ENGLISH please next time.

I wonder if my WS6 lower airbox is screwing up the angles and causing my misalignment woes. I fiddle with it some more tonite. I drilled a small holes in the plastic of the lower box and the lid "finger" and ran a screw through at both rear corners. The damn thing isn't gonna lift any more in the back.
    I think you're right. The WS6 air box sits up higher than others and could be causing some issues.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information