Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SLP lid is Broke

This is a discussion on SLP lid is Broke within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; and this one was much easier to install the MAF. It just seemed like the opening was just a tab ...

Red
    2001 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up SLP came through...They sent me another Lid

and this one was much easier to install the MAF. It just seemed like the opening was just a tab bit bigger. It was an easy install and a very good tight fit. I'm satisfied!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex212 View Post
    and this one was much easier to install the MAF. It just seemed like the opening was just a tab bit bigger. It was an easy install and a very good tight fit. I'm satisfied!
    Thats cool, glad to hear it. I've never had an issue with them at all. Actually if it weren't for them these SS camaro's wouldn't be here with all the cool extra options to boot

Black on Black
    2001 ~ T/A ~ WS6 ~ M6

WOW. Hearing the experiences with the SLP lid...um, I'm 'almost' speechless! (Not.)

After installing Kooks LT headers (minimum 24" vehicle lift, Hooker requires 36" lift...lol), Kooks ORY-pipe, Magnaflow C-back, Magnecor 8.5mm comp. wires and UMI SFC's, I went after the SLP lid. By far, the SLP lid was the most LEAST labor intensive step out of all of my upgrades. If you had issues, you might want to consider a job as a hair stylist. This install IS quite simple. Took about an hour (just guessing; maybe less, take out the barley pop time). As far as the hair dryer thing goes, it helped. Had my bud (wife) hold the dryer for a bit; add a little attitude and bingo, it fits.

Bottom line, the SLP lid is a nice kit. But, don't forget the smooth bellows, it all works together.

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

I didnt even have to heat my lid?

Black on Black
    2001 ~ T/A ~ WS6 ~ M6

Quote Originally Posted by Justin23454 View Post
    I didnt even have to heat my lid?
    I did...guess I'm getting old.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Alex212 View Post
    on a positive note Hank from SLP said he would take care of it and send me a new one...

your supposed to heat it up at the neck where the MAF installs...supposedly it helps it expand so you can install the MAF for a tighter fit when it cools...From what I'm reading some people have to do it some don't...Which tells me maybe the necks are not all the exact same diameter coming from the factory. No matter what i did with the one i got it would not go on.
    Your not supposed to do it... Mine fit like a glove, just put a worm clamp around the neck to keep things perfectly tight.

white
    2002 B4C

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have installed 3 - 4 lids. I have spoken to SLP many times. I have a new lid and stock MAF right here. If your lid went on with no problem great! For those of you/us that had issues (ex:cracked lid) we rec'd replacement lids from SLP not because we are inept, but because there was in fact an issue with some lids. Yes you can use a hair dryer to heat them per SLP. I have it in writing right in front of me, from SLP for 2000 - 2002; NOTE: THE USE OF A HAIR DRYER HEATING THE NECK TO INSTALL THE STOCK MAF IN THE SLP LID WILL MAKE THE INSTALLATION MUCH EASIER. If you did not let the engine cool for several hours then you will have problems because the MAF will be heated and expanded as well. Those of you with 98 & 99 lids without the hose would have been able to slide it on easy. I did a 99' last month with an older lid, easy, slid right on. Come on over here and try to slide the new SLP lid I have here on a stock 02' MAF. Tell me how easy it is. I just measured both diameters and the lid has a smaller diameter than the stock MAF at the same room temp. I have it all right here in front of me. Do I need to post links with the instructions, pic of lid & MAF from 02' and 99'? Not being an ass but don't make like the guys that had problems should have been able to slide them right on. I slid a few on, I CRACKED one, got replacement from SLP, I used stock MAFs and I used SLP MAF. Let me roll off the soap box now... Hope this thread ends I'm done.

Black on Black
    2001 ~ T/A ~ WS6 ~ M6

Quote Originally Posted by Pntbll309 View Post
    Your not supposed to do it... Mine fit like a glove, just put a worm clamp around the neck to keep things perfectly tight.
    Obviously you have a big one (lol), not everyone does/did. Some have to make it fit, as did I. Having a big one, you're one lucky man...

(((nothing personal)))

Black on Black
    2001 ~ T/A ~ WS6 ~ M6

Quote Originally Posted by Pntbll309 View Post

Sorry O.J.

Black
    1999 Trans Am FIREHAWK

I have the SLP Lid & Bellow, I did have to use a hairdryer but it whent on with a nice
    tight fit allong with the bellow on the stock MAF I did have to wiggle the Lid around a bit for it to fit took me little less than an hour to install it all .
    1999 T/A FIREHAWK - SLP Lid & Bellow,LT`s & Catted Y & Power-Flo Catback , MSD & NGK , UMI 3P SFC,ADJ PHB,STB,LCA`s & Relos , Eibach Pro Kit , Bilstine/SLP Shocks , MAC Diff Cover , BFG & OE Wheels C5DD 18x9.5/10.5 , HID 8000K Headlights - Dyno`d @ 319.07 HP & 327.23 Ft-lb ( Tuned by Champ Motors )

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by TedsB4Csled View Post
    I have installed 3 - 4 lids. I have spoken to SLP many times. I have a new lid and stock MAF right here. If your lid went on with no problem great! For those of you/us that had issues (ex:cracked lid) we rec'd replacement lids from SLP not because we are inept, but because there was in fact an issue with some lids. Yes you can use a hair dryer to heat them per SLP. I have it in writing right in front of me, from SLP for 2000 - 2002; NOTE: THE USE OF A HAIR DRYER HEATING THE NECK TO INSTALL THE STOCK MAF IN THE SLP LID WILL MAKE THE INSTALLATION MUCH EASIER. If you did not let the engine cool for several hours then you will have problems because the MAF will be heated and expanded as well. Those of you with 98 & 99 lids without the hose would have been able to slide it on easy. I did a 99' last month with an older lid, easy, slid right on. Come on over here and try to slide the new SLP lid I have here on a stock 02' MAF. Tell me how easy it is. I just measured both diameters and the lid has a smaller diameter than the stock MAF at the same room temp. I have it all right here in front of me. Do I need to post links with the instructions, pic of lid & MAF from 02' and 99'? Not being an ass but don't make like the guys that had problems should have been able to slide them right on. I slid a few on, I CRACKED one, got replacement from SLP, I used stock MAFs and I used SLP MAF. Let me roll off the soap box now... Hope this thread ends I'm done.
    you are correct sir, good post

white
    2002 B4C

Didn't mean to be so cranky, but yeah that should cover it. And you won't loose hp if you use a hairdryer on lid, ok now that covers it. Happy Easter to ya'll!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Let's keep it civil.....I'm watching.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Let's keep it civil.....I'm watching. Click for full size
    dang what cha drinking ? them eyes are going wild

Black on Black
    2001 ~ T/A ~ WS6 ~ M6

Quote Originally Posted by TedsB4Csled View Post
    Didn't mean to be so cranky, but yeah that should cover it. And you won't loose hp if you use a hairdryer on lid, ok now that covers it. Happy Easter to ya'll!
    Happy Easter to you as well.

(Psst: Cool front end...)

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

my lid wint on ok the only prob. i had was it rubed the hood so i had to get out the heat gun a sofen it up to form it but other then that i like it

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    my lid wint on ok the only prob. i had was it rubed the hood so i had to get out the heat gun a sofen it up to form it but other then that i like it
    Did that actually work heating and reforming it without distorting the appearance????

I have the same problem on my 02 SS. Although it's too late on mine as it has worn the paint off of the hood now,,,,oh well.

white
    2002 B4C

check fit

Check the fit on the back of the lid. If you put the weather strip crap it may seal better but will raise the lid. Use thinner strip. If not, I guess it's back to the hairdryer!

SLP hairdryer.....$29.99 ON SPECIAL!!! +30hp!!!
    Last edited by TedsB4Csled; 03-23-2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: spelling

I don't recall putting any type of weather strip on mine at all. I'll have to eyeball it more tomorrow and see if there is anything in the back portion that can be altered.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

^^^^Agreed-GMHTP mag did a test on several aftermarket lids & found that the SLP lid comes the closest to fitting like the factory one...when I installed mine, it did take some work and cussing to get it on perfectly, but once on there, I've had no problems at all & am overall satisfied...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information