silver
    2002 Z28 Convertible 4A

SLP cold air ram vs Free Air Mod

On my 2002 Z28 convertible I have done the free air mod using SLP instructions for installing the cold air ram, so installing the ram would be a drop in. My question is, am I going to see any performance gain or should I just save my money? I have a SLP cold air lid, smooth bellows, coolant bypass and SLP air tempature stimulator. A catback system is in the future.
    Last edited by mrc54; 10-20-2009 at 05:34 AM. Reason: more info

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

you won't see crap for a performance gain with either... money is better spent on other mods... i did the free ram air mod and while it did open up for more air to come it, it allowes warmer air to be sucked in and it defeates the purpose... start your mods with the suspension first... all that power being absorbed in to weak and flexing parts = a slower car...

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

If your looking for a ram air kit to put on get something that goes below the car. The slp kit is not much better than the free air mod.
    You can try an FTRA kit or an SSRA. There is a lot of info on here about both. I have the SSRA on my Z28. It gets about 2 mpg better on the highway and has more passing power. Its available on ebay for $160.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SSRA-...Q5fAccessories
    Hope this helps.

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

i have the slp setup i notice a little bit but i also didnt do the fra mod before to compare. that peice sticks down far enough to catch cool air when moving. i like it but it isnt cheap but what is. i would consider suspesion mods because u cant go fast if the car has no traction.

silver
    2002 Z28 Convertible 4A

It is true, I do loose a lot off the line to wheel spin, what can be done (on a budget) to the suspension? It is an automatic transmision
    Last edited by mrc54; 10-24-2009 at 12:18 PM.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by mrc54 View Post
    It is true, I do loose a lot off the line to wheel spin, what can be done (on a budget) to the suspension? It is an automatic transmision
    Not sure what your budget is?
    Subframe connectors, trailing arms, torque arms. There is a great sticky on this in the suspension and handling section.
    Traction off the line will depend greatly on your tires too. Some all-seasons will slip more than others. Summer performance tires will give you better traction.

silver
    2002 Z28 Convertible 4A

Read the sticky on suspension,good info,but very general.The car launches off the line,straight,just smokes the tires like crazy,since the mods. I guess the budget be $100-200. Keep in mind, this is a convertible, so the floor pan is very thick and heavy. I don't think sub frame connector are necesssary. Panhard rod and lower control arms would be fine if they really help traction and all season tires are a must in my area. Maybe I should start a new thread,The suspension section is not much help.

Thread Information