Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SLP Blackwing: Filter?

This is a discussion on SLP Blackwing: Filter? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by SS1Eagle Wow...Thanks Sarge! Just curious if I get a nifty Amsoil sticker supplied for my toolbox? They ...

Post Free Amsoil Sticker

Quote Originally Posted by SS1Eagle View Post
    Wow...Thanks Sarge!

Just curious if I get a nifty Amsoil sticker supplied for my toolbox?
    They don't send the sticker with the Air Filter. I don't know why, but they should. But if you'd like a free sticker mailed to you, you could ask for dealer information pack and a free sticker is included in the literature along with an up to date Amsoil Catalog. And don't worry, you don't have to become a dealer either.

Dealer information link - click HERE.

BTW, I think the Buy One Get One deal is still on with the EAA83 air filter. Let me know and I can check on that.

CompSyn

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Now that's a deal.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

you can always hit up AEM dryflow filters too. works real good

heres a pic of one on my mom's 2007 vortec max:

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I have a AEM dry on my 5.3...thought that was a pic of mine for a sec

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

i like that fancy breather on your catch can!!! do i spy some wrapped headers???

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yup. That truck is quick. Allen Nelson tuned it. I wrap all my headers.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

i bet. my momma opted for the 6.0 L76 for her avalanche. its okay off the line but the vvt wakes her up in the revs. and that brute force sounds good suckin under the hood. still no tune

Electric Blue Pearlcoat
    1995 Trans Am(LS1 Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Yup. That truck is quick. Allen Nelson tuned it. I wrap all my headers.
    What are the advantages of wrapping the headers. Is it cost effective?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

keeps the heat in the pipes, keeps the pipes hotter. hotter pipes= smoother flow. plus it keeps under hood temps down. i have heard it can lead to cracks in headers

red
    1998 Z28

wrapping ur pipes can also hold in moisture causeing in early rusting( never knew anyone that happened too but thats what i read)

haha wow this thread got off track haah

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

LOL.....back in the day when headers were made of steel and not stainless steel wrapped headers on a car that sat a lot would form rust from trapped moisture. So the "myth" was born. Pennzoil causes sludge/wrapped headers rust/hairy palms/smoking weed gives you gigantic man titties blah blah blah.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

LOL.....back in the day when headers were made of steel and not stainless steel wrapped headers on a car that sat a lot would form rust from trapped moisture. So the "myth" was born. Pennzoil causes sludge/wrapped headers rust/hairy palms/smoking weed gives you gigantic man titties blah blah blah.
    LOL.

Electric Blue Pearlcoat

So that why I have aquired these man boobs over the last few years! Doesnt burn off like it did a few years back!

Electric Blue Pearlcoat

What was this thread about again? LOL

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I dunno I got the munchies.

Black SS SLP#8834
    2002 35th Anniversary LS1

Ok back on track here. I received my AMSOIL air filter recently along with my order of 0W-30 motor oil and filter. I quickly installed the filter and it fit perfectly! The oil filter is the small type which I don't mind. It's the protection I have now. I got the Buy One Get One Free deal. Found 2 air filters in my box but the invoice states one air filter shipped. Definitely a keeper!

I have one puzzling question though, there is an Oil Change Interval stated on the side of the box. If I am reading this right I don't have to change this oil in how many X thousand miles? I think the definition of Severe Service is dragstrip duty but that's my opinion what would you recommend?

Just washed the SS and took it out for a spin with the new air filter. Here's a pic of the SS ready to get the AMSOIL transfusion. Yes that is cardboard on the garage floor. All 3 layers of thin paper stock to catch any fluids but it feels good on my back.

Last edited by SS1Eagle; 04-29-2009 at 06:59 AM.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

i would run the first change at about 3-4k miles. then when you change, send the next batch of oil in for an UOA. from what i hear that is the only real way to tell how long you can run your oil. But sarge is the resident expert on that stuff. any input sarge?

By the way, car looks great!

Arrow Extended Oil Change Interval

Quote Originally Posted by SS1Eagle View Post
    Ok back on track here. I received my AMSOIL air filter recently along with my order of 0W-30 motor oil and filter. I quickly installed the filter and it fit perfectly! The oil filter is the small type which I don't mind. It's the protection I have now. I got the Buy One Get One Free deal. Found 2 air filters in my box but the invoice states one air filter shipped. Definitely a keeper!

I have one puzzling question though, there is an Oil Change Interval stated on the side of the box. If I am reading this right I don't have to change this oil in how many X thousand miles? I think the definition of Severe Service is dragstrip duty but that's my opinion what would you recommend?

Just washed the SS and took it out for a spin with the new air filter. Here's a pic of the SS ready to get the AMSOIL transfusion. Yes that is cardboard on the garage floor. All 3 layers of thin paper stock to catch any fluids but it feels good on my back.
    Yes, just keep in mind that under Normal and Severe service categories, there is the Modification category.

Modifications – Engine operating under modified conditions are excluded from extended drain recommendations.

Not sure if your car is modified or not but the air and oil filtration you now have with the Amsoil Ea filters foster excellent filtration and helps the motor oil to stay cleaner longer.

Motor oil longevity depends on many factors, one of which is the type of oil that was used previously. If conventional petroleum based oil was used, chances are there could be deposits of broken down oil left behind. This is what happened in my car while running a well known conventional motor oil brand for 130,000-miles of engine life. And that’s with an impeccable maintenance record e.g., spark plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor, pcv, air, oil and fuel filters, valve adjust, and traditional 3,000-mile/3-month oil changes.

Under that service history, the oil previously used left behind hard baked on deposits under my valve cover that two trips to a solvent tank would not break loose.

At the 130,000-mile mark I did an Amsoil Engine Flush before installing 4.5 quarts of Amsoil SSO 0W-30 to top off the crankcase capacity. I followed the Engine flush recommendations to a tee and noticed what looked fine carbon like particals suspended in the oil when the old oil and flush was drained out. This is why you install a mid-grade oil filter before doing the flush.

I ran the SSO for 10 months and 7,500-miles before getting a baseline UOA test. The UOA report reviled that I had 3% fuel dilution most likely due to severe stop and go driving; I only live three miles away from my work so my engine consistently doesn’t have a change to get up to operating temp. So with the fuel dilution and dirty engine internals it really gave the SSO a run for its money. At 7,500-miles the TBN was knocked down to 3.5 when it began its life at 13.2. The other component of the UOA that was flagged was Aluminum which was still considered to be within normal tolerances. At around two months into the oil change interval, I was down a quart and added. Then at the eight month mark I was down roughly two quarts and added. The car does not leak or smoke. The prognosis behind the oil consumption is thought to be the dirty engine condition and fuel in the oil really taking it’s toll on the oil’s additive package. If I can figure out how to keep the fuel dilution down, and allow time for the robust Esters and comprehensive additive package of the SSO to continue to clean out the engine, I should be able to run this oil to around 10,000-miles, which is approaching Amsoil’s recommendation of 15,000-miles for severe service duty. My car operates at less than ten miles at a time and has over 100,000-miles on it; that is considered severe service duty. And who knows, maybe by the time the engine gets cleaned out I’ll be able to run the oil closer to 15k. Time and future UOA reports will tell.

The moral of the story – get a UOA test done if you’re interested in taking advantage of an extended drain interval. And again, with the top grade motor oil, oil filter, air filter you invested in, a traditional 3,000-mile/3-month oil change would be a waste. You should be able to go well beyond that when validated by a UOA. Try doing two 3,000-mile oil changes first before getting a basline UOA done. Then base your extended oil changes off what the UOA report reveals.

BTW, way to take advantage of the EAA83-EA air filter Buy One Get One offer. That’s enough filter for 200,000-miles of use.

UOA information click HERE

EAA83-EA air filter information click HERE

CompSyn
    Last edited by CompSyn; 04-29-2009 at 10:39 AM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well if any oil could take an extended drain it would be that one. BUT....noway in hell should you take it out past 5K without a UOA to verify your OK. As stated above way too many variables.
    I love the Amsoil filters...both air/oil. Top shelf fo sho.

Electric Blue Pearlcoat

Quote Originally Posted by The moral of the story – get a UOA test done if you’re interested in taking advantage of an extended drain interval. And again, with the top grade motor oil, oil filter, air filter you invested in, a traditional 3,000-mile/3-month oil change would be a waste. You should be able to go well beyond that when validated by a UOA. Try doing two 3,000-mile oil changes first before getting a basline UOA done. Then base your extended oil changes off what the UOA report reveals.

UOA information click [URL="http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/oai.aspx?=zo1606470"
    HERE[/URL]

EAA83-EA air filter information click HERE

CompSyn

When you say run 2 3k oil changes before doing a UOA, Wha do you mean? Run the Amsoil oil through 2 standard oil changes and then on the third run it for 7.5k and then have it analyzed?

1995 Trans Am: 6spd - Pacesetter LT's - LS1 Front Swap - SLP LS1 FlowPac CAI - MagnaMouth CatBack - De-Cat - Eibach ProKit - Bilsteins - HP Evo's - 3pt. Strut Tower Brace - 4.10 Gears - Spohn Adj. PH - B&M Ripper Shifter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information