GlowStickgl

Question SLP Air-Box lid wont fit?

Hello,

I have a 2002 Trans Am WS6 (Automatic) and I just bought the SLP Air-Box lid. However, after trying to install the lid I found out that there is no way I can get it to fit. After calling SLP they said that the lid may not be pushed back far enough and i should remove everything between the lid and the air baffel so i can easily move it around to work it in place.

I did so, and could still not get it to fit. However, I noticed that the clamp had no way of holding on the top of the lid and closeing. The lids lip on the top is simply too big and too tall for it to fit. Next, I noticed that the four back tabs had no way of going into the slot. The holes on the car are simply too low for it to fit. I even tried to get them in with out the air filter in, no go. With a screw driver guideing in the tabs on the lid. However when i did thiss the tabs were just bending downward. However I wanted to see if that would allow the clamps to close. The lid was still too tall.

I called SLP again and they assured me that they had installed the same lid on over a dozen 2002 Trans Am WS6's. Can anyone help me on this issue? Or is there some werid reason why my car would be diffrent from others? I have pictures of the lid on my airbox but cannot post them on the forum.

Thanks,

Glow

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Can you post some pics up? MAny have probs with the SLP lid, but as stated, it's usually because the lid isn't tucked in the right way but it seems you are doing that and still having probs.

GlowStickgl
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711
    Can you post some pics up? MAny have probs with the SLP lid, but as stated, it's usually because the lid isn't tucked in the right way but it seems you are doing that and still having probs.
    The forum wont allow me to post pictures unill I have 10 posts. However if you click on my name and then click go to my web page it takes you to the first picture. If you change the last number 1 - 5 you can see more.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

ok. unlike the stock lid, the front of the SLP airlid does not rest on top of the base. you have to tuck the front lip of the lid into the base.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

GlowStickgl
    Quote Originally Posted by mrr23
    ok. unlike the stock lid, the front of the SLP airlid does not rest on top of the base. you have to tuck the front lip of the lid into the base.
    Hm, I tried manuvering it for a bit like that with no luck. The lid is still being held up on by the sides witch is the same height as the middle part. I also still cannot manuver the 4 tabs at the back in. The lid is simply to high even with out the air filter in place. The back nozzel of the slp lid fits the plastic behind the air filter stoping it from pointing down enough.

SLPLS1
    I have an 01 Z28 and bought the SLP lid and it was a pain in the ass to get those tabs shoved in I had to get really rough with mine it sucks but it will go in

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Yea it's a tight fit but it'll work...once you get it in there don't take it off for at least a week. After that it'll be 10 times easier to get it on.

GlowStickgl
    Hm, after manhandeling the lid in the back retention holes. I still cant use the clips to hold the front of the lid down. One major problem is the top of the clip (the hook) cannot grasp on the top of the slp lid unless it is tilted away from the lid and hence cant be latched.

I just have to ask, but something just dose not feel right about the whole setup. The only way i can get the tabs in is by useing a screwdriver to bend them down. Next the clamps are no ware close to being able to fit. I need to find a friends f-body and take a looksee of how his is setup.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

you have it close, push it back farther, as they said earlier the lid fits inside the lip, rather then outside like on your old one

Thread Information