Thread: Skip shift

Black
    2001 Trans AM WS6 M6

Skip shift

What are your opinions on it? Elimate it, keep it? Good in traffic? Whats the deal?

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Get Rid Of It!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

i got rid of mine, you can use a resistor and do it for like $2, get a deleter for like $25 or get a tuner for like $400. i hate cags

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

I agree.......

I didn't buy a manual car to have the car tell me what gear to go in! Eliminate it! I bought the SLP Skip Shift Eliminator and just had the tech at the dealership plug it in when the car was in for an oil change. No charge.

Black with Silver
    2000 Pontiac Trans am ws6

did the tech happen to let you see where it was plugged into i have the eliminater just dont know where to put it the directions where so veg... that i didnt want to take the chance on putting it in wrong place..

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I bought the SLP eliminator, this way the light still comes on but the skip is eliminated. I love to flip off the light when it comes on, I tell the car what to do, not the other way around. However, seeing the light come on I still occaisionally shift into 4th.

Rhonetaz, just get under there and look, it is near the back of the trans, on the drivers side. Your eliminator should only plug into the correct one. Make sure you keep the wiring up high when you are done.

Triple Black
    02 M6 Vert Hawk #199

Eliminated mine when I got the dynotune. was one of the best things I ever did.

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Only time it ever kicks in on me is pretty much when I absolutely baby the car and try to make it kick in. I don't notice it otherwise. I usually drive my car like a three speed anyway when getting up to highway speed; First to Fourth to Sixth. Doesn't bother me, even if I"m moderately on the gas it doesn't kick in it - I pretty much have to make it kick in, if I just drove the car 1,2,3,4,5,6, even slowly it doesn't kick in, only when I hold first out really long until 18mph or so lightly giving it gas the entire time. You can still shift all the way through the gears slow like that too - but the 1,2,3 from 0-20mph is kinda annoying, I'd be going to fourth anyway if the car DIDN'T have skip shift available because honestly shifting to 2nd at 10mph.... third at 15... then 4th at 18 or 20.. is a waste of time at those speeds, imo.

Like I said, it's only there when you want it, at least on mine; I have to pretty much drag it out slowly in first to even get it to come on.

EDIT: thought I'd add, I've never owned an automatic car. Two 5 speeds and now my m6.

My 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6... ASC# 1244 ... Born on June 23, 2001

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by fluke View Post
    Only time it ever kicks in on me is pretty much when I absolutely baby the car and try to make it kick in. I don't notice it otherwise. I usually drive my car like a three speed anyway when getting up to highway speed; First to Fourth to Sixth. Doesn't bother me, even if I"m moderately on the gas it doesn't kick in it - I pretty much have to make it kick in, if I just drove the car 1,2,3,4,5,6, even slowly it doesn't kick in, only when I hold first out really long until 18mph or so lightly giving it gas the entire time. You can still shift all the way through the gears slow like that too - but the 1,2,3 from 0-20mph is kinda annoying, I'd be going to fourth anyway if the car DIDN'T have skip shift available because honestly shifting to 2nd at 10mph.... third at 15... then 4th at 18 or 20.. is a waste of time at those speeds, imo.

Like I said, it's only there when you want it, at least on mine; I have to pretty much drag it out slowly in first to even get it to come on.

EDIT: thought I'd add, I've never owned an automatic car. Two 5 speeds and now my m6.
    yeah mine was like that too (i thought) untill i got caught in traffic in the city one day, what a bitch that skip shift is. i never had it happen to me on country roads though. tuner fixed it though.

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2-bowties&abird View Post
    yeah mine was like that too (i thought) untill i got caught in traffic in the city one day, what a bitch that skip shift is. i never had it happen to me on country roads though. tuner fixed it though.
    I lived in Jacksonville, FL with my car first. I didn't have any problems with it there either. I think though, if I ever get something like a Pro 5.0 shifter I might delete it just so it wont potentially cause problems but other than that, I have no reason to ditch it as I use it.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28 vert

it was the best thig i ever bought, i was always watching the light waiting for it to turn off so i could hit second it was rhe worst if you were turning you couldnt see it. now when it comes on i dont even worry about it.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

It doesn't bother me at all and i never use it
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

yeah i didnt have any complaints at first. i heard people talk about it saying damn skip shift sucks and i remember thinking, well why is that ive never seen it come on. that all changed when i got in traffic at stoplights down in va. beach. you guys will see eventually if you go somewhere where there is stop and go traffic. i wanted to pull my hair out and that was the first time i had ever had the skip shift come on like it did. aw man it pissed me off when i would try to shift to second and wouldnt go in gear. but fortunatly the only reason i was at the beach was to have the cam put in and when i got there i told him please tune that skip shift out.

Black with Silver

lol ok i have that problem here its the same thing thats why i asked if anyone knows witch cylinoid to put it on

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

1st mod I ever did. Used the resistor years ago, now have it tuned out.
    http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...r/cags_slp.htm

Black with Silver

thank you for the pictures was a lot better than the directions i got with my eliminater from summit

red
    1999 WS6

CAGS suck!

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_LS1 View Post
    It doesn't bother me at all and i never use it
    Dang Mr. lead foot--

the whole purpose of it is to FORCE you to shift to 4th from 1st-- to save gas, and it did that at low RPMs, normal city/ traffic style driving..

It is hard to believe it never bothered you-- I test drove a few back in the day,, and it was quite annoying..

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Between the Cags, the stupid retrictor in the clutch Hydraulics,, and the 10 bolt rear end, Has to be the worst thoughts GM ever came up with!! AGH!! At least you can get rid of all of them.
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 03-23-2008 at 09:48 AM.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Thread Information