Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Simulators

This is a discussion on Simulators within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I've thought about doing that as well. I just want the fastest most cost effective way to put and end ...

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

I've thought about doing that as well. I just want the fastest most cost effective way to put and end to it. Sucks not being able to drive like the car should.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

As I see it...the rear O2's do nothing other than determine if the cat is in place and working.
    The problem with SIMS that I see is if the pre-determined sim setting doesn't match the front O2's reading. Then I could see the computer adjusting to try to match. Which is why SIMS bug me a little.

I don't know if the computer has something in there that would allow the rears to sorta act as a front O2 if for some reason it reads a problem with the front one.

Either way...mine are tuned out.

Black
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

I've had sims on my Z for over a year, not one problem so far.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    As I see it...the rear O2's do nothing other than determine if the cat is in place and working.
    The problem with SIMS that I see is if the pre-determined sim setting doesn't match the front O2's reading. Then I could see the computer adjusting to try to match. Which is why SIMS bug me a little.

I don't know if the computer has something in there that would allow the rears to sorta act as a front O2 if for some reason it reads a problem with the front one.

Either way...mine are tuned out.
    Reread the quote from the service manual I put out there then. The rear 02 does more than just verify the convertor being there. They can influence fuel trim in case of a code setting type problem.

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

The way I read things - looking at it all from the outside - is that the PCM may slightly trim the mixture if it sees the rear O2 sensor voltages averaging to the lean or rich side while the front O2 sensor voltages remain within specs.

Of course it can't trim too much or that would defeat the main purpose the rear O2 sensors are in there to begin with.

I dug out some old circuits from ages ago research and put them on our website, the last two may be of some interest - better than some on the market but far from what we're going to release soon.

http://iecoklahoma.com/oldO2.aspx

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Quote Originally Posted by LS1buckey View Post
    I've thought about doing that as well. I just want the fastest most cost effective way to put and end to it. Sucks not being able to drive like the car should.
    i hear you there. if a tuner isn't nearby, then buying simms is the cheapest way out of it. tuning software costs $500.00 to do it yourself.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

I'm a newb at this so please forgive me, but sims and extensions are two different things correct? sims are replacements for your rear o2 sensors to give the computer ideal readings right? and extensions are wires to go to the ... what? I'm kind of lost... dumb it down a shade for me guys.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvs View Post
    I'm a newb at this so please forgive me, but sims and extensions are two different things correct? sims are replacements for your rear o2 sensors to give the computer ideal readings right? and extensions are wires to go to the ... what? I'm kind of lost... dumb it down a shade for me guys.
    O2 extentions are used on the front O2 sensors so they can reach the bungs at the bottom of long tube headers.

On another note, I've been trying to find a good shop to tune them out for cheap in my area, but no luck. I'm weary about sims but I need to figure something out soon so i can pass emissions.
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD, !AIR, !EGR, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

let me try and get this straight our cars have 4 o2 sensors 2 on the end of the headers and two after or "suppose" to be after the cats in the mid-pipe?... and so when you get an ORY you delete those rear o2 sensors? Again dumb it down guys I just don't know.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

yes. two before cats and two after.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

If you delete the cats -then- you have to 'sim' or simulate the rear O2's or delete them from the computer program.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

I wish I could be one of the lucky ones that didn't get affected from the rear o2s being messed gone

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1 View Post
    If you delete the cats -then- you have to 'sim' or simulate the rear O2's or delete them from the computer program.
    I don't think that's true. Even if you get a catted y pipe, they don't come with 02 sensor bungs after the cats...

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    I don't think that's true. Even if you get a catted y pipe, they don't come with 02 sensor bungs after the cats...
    he is correct. the simms plug into the wiring harness. they do not screw into the pipe.

look like the part on the right

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

the value of o2 simms just doubled, if not tripled

http://www.fquick.com/blog/Caspers_E...led_by_the_EPA

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Wow-thats a huge developement! Doubt many companies will be selling these when this news gets around.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

tuning software may have to remove their code removal part of the software.

Sebring Silver
    2000 Z28

Couldnt they just plead a case in which they sold them for the people who don't run cats on the track, to improve times and such without throwing codes, which would possibly slow down theyre car? I mean I'm no lawyer but that seems like it would work. Much like the case for longtubes, "ILLEGAL"/"TRACK USE ONLY". But umm.... who actually listens to that?
    2000 Silver Z28 w/ Sports Appearance Package, P&P TB, FTRA, Direct Flow Lid, Pace Setter LT's, ORY, Flowmaster 80, TCI 3000 Stall, Trans Go Shift Kit, Computer Tune, Richmond 3.73's, Bilstein suspension, Edelbrock torque arm, UMI Suspension bars, drilled and slotted rotors.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I believe they already were labelled for 'off-road use' only. Scary implications for the aftermarket.

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

That's strange, seems to me if you made it very plain the product was for off-road use only it's not your problem if somebody uses one on the road.

I'm sure Casper's had good attorneys, if judgment was against them what's next?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information