white
    2000 camaro z28

sideways in the snow

I just purchased a set of 1991-92 16 inch Z28 wheels cheap. I was wanting to mount the back wheels on my 2000 Z28 for snow purposes. Does anyone know if they will fit? Thanks for the help.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I'll be the first to ask----- Why are you doing this? Is this your DD?

I ask because driving our cars in the snow is just asking for it to get totaled.

I can understand if its all you got but still......

Now to answer your question.

I believe the bolt pattern is the same but the spacing is slightly different.

have you tried to match them up to see? (bolt pattern)

MMM
    2000 Camaro Z28

I believe the backspacing is different, and I know that the hub is slightly larger on LS1 cars vs LT1. I don't know if this is true for a 3rd gen rear or not. If it is, a dremel and 5 minutes is all it require to fix it. WARNING: DO NOT pull the wheel on with the lugnuts as you won't be able to get it back off. I've heard of people doing this and it is a nightmare.

Edit: You have to remember SMWS6TA, we from the Midwest understand how to drive in the snow :wink: Well, most of us. lol
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...IMAG0042-1.jpg
    2000 Monterey Maroon Metallic Z28
    M6, BBK Longtubes, SLP lid, Hooker catback, 17" Chrome ZR1s, Hotchkis springs
    1996 Saturn SL2-DD status

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

They will work..

Also to the dremel thing.. The lug nuts hold the wheel on, the center holds/bares the vehicles weight that's why it's machined to a certain tollerance to fit over the axle center. I would not take a dremel to a wheel center.. Ever..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-11-2010 at 06:47 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

MMM
    2000 Camaro Z28

Sometimes that is true sometimes it isn't. Depends on whether the car is hubcentric or lugcentric. Our cars are lugcentric, so the wheel has nothing to do with it. Look at all the aftermarket wheels. If what you are saying is true they would make different wheels for LS1 and LT1 cars.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Center Bore

Quote Originally Posted by my95z28 View Post
    Sometimes that is true sometimes it isn't. Depends on whether the car is hubcentric or lugcentric. Our cars are lugcentric, so the wheel has nothing to do with it. Look at all the aftermarket wheels. If what you are saying is true they would make different wheels for LS1 and LT1 cars.
    You're right, except we are talking about wheels for a 4th gen f-body.. I'm a 4 time f-body owner 89 thru 01. They are NOT "lugcentric" they never were tho they do use a lug centric type lug nut.. It's an s10 style rear which are also NOT lug centric.. lt1 and ls1 cars and 3.4l/3800-II f-bodies ALL have the same pattern spread. Again, Non of which are lug centric.. The lug studs are soft on these cars and were never intended to support the 3600 or so pound vehicle alone from their sides nor its power..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-11-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

My formula with All Weather BFG's on the back got around in the snow just fine here in OK.

We don't get too much snow though and its never that tall.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

White
    2008 Hummer H3

ASR

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    My formula with All Weather BFG's on the back got around in the snow just fine here in OK.

We don't get too much snow though and its never that tall.
    Agree. Imho. As long as you have ASR or the equivalent and let it do it's job by not over powering it, they actually go pretty good. My 95 v6 however would get stuck just looking @ snow.. It did'nt have anything except the (one legged get out and push), leave it till day light option..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-11-2010 at 10:09 PM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    You're right, except we are talking about wheels for a 4th gen f-body.. I'm a 4 time f-body owner 89 thru 01. They are NOT "lugcentric" they never were tho they do use a lug centric type lug nut.. It's an s10 style rear which are also NOT lug centric.. lt1 and ls1 cars and 3.4l/3800-II f-bodies ALL have the same pattern spread. Again, Non of which are lug centric.. The lug studs are soft on these cars and were never intended to support the 3600 or so pound vehicle alone from their sides nor its power..
    I kinda consider the factory wheels hub and lug centric, kind of a hybrid (technically its a hub centric, like you said.) Almost all aftermarket wheels are lug centric without any issues really. But those hub ring things kinda add a little extra piece of mind, ya know.

White
    1998 Trans Am

My 98 A4 TA was a dd year round and never crashed it. Although the 3.23 performance pack didn't help. Got sideways a few times but.usually was.control able. I ran the stock chrome 16's with the crappy Goodyear tires it came with. Buy nice winter tires for the wheels sure.it won't be great but it will help a little. Not sure if those rims fit but you can usually find stock 16's from the newer years for next to nothing. My chrome 16's were peeling but still good to drive one and I sold them with 2 good tires for $80.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    My 98 A4 TA was a dd year round and never crashed it. Although the 3.23 performance pack didn't help. Got sideways a few times but.usually was.control able. I ran the stock chrome 16's with the crappy Goodyear tires it came with. Buy nice winter tires for the wheels sure.it won't be great but it will help a little. Not sure if those rims fit but you can usually find stock 16's from the newer years for next to nothing. My chrome 16's were peeling but still good to drive one and I sold them with 2 good tires for $80.
    whats "winter" in houston? mid 50s?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I kinda consider the factory wheels hub and lug centric, kind of a hybrid (technically its a hub centric, like you said.) Almost all aftermarket wheels are lug centric without any issues really. But those hub ring things kinda add a little extra piece of mind, ya know.
    Yeah the lug nuts on our cars have the 45* tapper like lug centrics do, and yes like you said we use both. That's pretty much what I was tryin' to says..lol

If you remember "uni-lugs" that's what lug centrics remind me of just without the washers..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-13-2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Dewman View Post
    whats "winter" in houston? mid 50s?
    The TA has only been here 3yrs it was a Mass car for the test of the time, see a lot of snow time and have a rusty 10 bolt to show for it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by my95z28 View Post
    I believe the backspacing is different, and I know that the hub is slightly larger on LS1 cars vs LT1. I don't know if this is true for a 3rd gen rear or not. If it is, a dremel and 5 minutes is all it require to fix it. WARNING: DO NOT pull the wheel on with the lugnuts as you won't be able to get it back off. I've heard of people doing this and it is a nightmare.

Edit: You have to remember SMWS6TA, we from the Midwest understand how to drive in the snow :wink: Well, most of us. lol
    Lived in PA for 8 yrs, lived in Germany for 3 yrs.....I've seen snow, that's one of many reasons I live in the south Another one I get to drive my T/A all year

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Yeah the lug nuts on our cars have the 45* tapper like lug centrics do, and yes like you said we use both. That's pretty much what I was tryin' to says..lol

If you remember "uni-lugs" that's what lug centrics remind me of just without the washers..
    In a sense our cars have a FWD type setup.. They too also use both styles, center bore and lug centric type lug nuts..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-14-2010 at 04:16 AM.

white
    2000 camaro z28

Thanks for all of the help. I went with 225/60-16 snow tires with studs. The narrower tire made up for the different offset. The car does handle a little quirky due to the 245/45-17 front tires, but I am not looking for speed in the snow covered roads here in rural Ohio. I usually drive my rear wheel drive v-8 truck and Camaro year round and like the feeling of being sideways and having a good excuse to tell the state troopers when the snow is covering the roads. My Z28 is a rebuilt car and is not a garage kept show stopper like a lot of the Camaros and Trans Ams on this site. Maybe someday. Thanks again for all of your info.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I'll be the first to ask----- Why are you doing this? Is this your DD?

I ask because driving our cars in the snow is just asking for it to get totaled.

I can understand if its all you got but still......

Now to answer your question.

I believe the bolt pattern is the same but the spacing is slightly different.

have you tried to match them up to see? (bolt pattern)
    not really..our cars with winter tires are just as safe if not safer than fwd cars with a/s

Thread Information