Thread: Side Vents

Looking for my next LSX 6-Speeder's Avatar

PBM
    2004 GTO M6 PBM

Question Side Vents

Ok i know i saw somewhere on this forum information about the side vents on our cars. However i have been unable to find it over the last 24 hours of searching. So i ask this, i am pretty sure they are non functional and just there to look nice, however i also want to know if theres a way to make them functional, like side heat extractors. Any ideas anyone know anything, if its a dumb question i apologize couldn't find anything to help here or ls1tech. Thanks

White
    98 Trans AM

Instead of messing with those side vents I would say just get an aftermarket hood with heat extractors built in. Heat does rise so having those side ports opened up may do a little good but having the openings at the high point of the hood would help much more.
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

PBM
    2004 GTO M6 PBM

I already got an aftermarket hood, of course w\ out the heat extractors as the previous owner had done. But I was just curious as to their purpose if any. Ive seen someone do something interesting to cool the brakes in a similar fashion. Had a custom fiberglass tube made from the bottom hole in front of our cars (under the DRLs) and snaked back to in front of the rotors. Cool idea. Just thought maybe those vents could be modified to do some good. Thanks though.

White
    98 Trans AM

Thumbs up

Honestly unless you are doing something like autocross where you are constantly braking, I doubt you are heating your rotors up enough to make doing anything like that worth it. Stock rotors can and do warp but most aftermarket are decent. What might also need to be taken into account is if you created a wind tube to the rotors then when in rain it would also be blowing water onto the rotors.

always good to keep ideas going though man!!

PBM
    2004 GTO M6 PBM

Cool

Yeah i got em from here http://www.paveglio.com/firebird/2001tamods.html
    one of the many sites i keep bookmarked in my transam section lol. Theres soooo many good ideas out there. Im not looking to do the rotor cooling thing just a cool idea, didn't think about the rainwater but im sure enough of it gets on there if your driving in the rain anyway. Thanks man

PS i noticed he has extra lights below his DRLs, i guess using those holes are my idea for something

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by Transam388 View Post
    Honestly unless you are doing something like autocross where you are constantly braking, I doubt you are heating your rotors up enough to make doing anything like that worth it. Stock rotors can and do warp but most aftermarket are decent. What might also need to be taken into account is if you created a wind tube to the rotors then when in rain it would also be blowing water onto the rotors.

always good to keep ideas going though man!!
    water on hot rotors = warps n cracks !!! the lower front holes (below signals, circulate air in thru the fender and out the side vents. as far as i been told its strictly for aerodynamics...

PBM
    2004 GTO M6 PBM

Really? Where did you read that? Im not doubting it I just want to read up myself as it would seem kinda pointless for GM to put such a thing on our cars and be non functional.

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

it is functional, it for the aerodynamics... it was like that on the 2nd gens also... in the bumper, thru the fender, and out the side vents... cant remember where i saw that, but you should be able to find it w/ a search.

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by FORD RECOVERY EXPERT View Post
    it is functional, it for the aerodynamics... it was like that on the 2nd gens also... in the bumper, thru the fender, and out the side vents... cant remember where i saw that, but you should be able to find it w/ a search.
    Thats right. I had a '79 SE T/A, and read in one of those books you can get on the history an development of the T/A, and it said just that. The vents on the '79's fenders bleed air at speed (from under the hood) to reduce front end lift (heehee...I put this to the test at 130mph...it was like it was on rails!), and the side vents on our forth gens are for aerodynamics...but I can't specifically remember what. The book credits Pontiac for making the T/A "fuctional"...spoilers and all, and not just "window dressing"...gotta' luv it!!!

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

The Bird is a 1ofakind Creature...

Thread Information