Navy blue metallic
    98 camaro ss vert

Cool should be a simple install...!!

Got a 98 SS convertible, just made a few recent upgrades following a US trip. Granetelli MAFand Air box, K&N, BBK throttle body, magnaflow cat back and a hp programmer III.
    Did the simple install the next day, reprogrammed for fuel type and shift firmness and kept the rest stock. disconected the battery for 12 hours to wipe the memory. Idled through temerature range. Straight forward I thought..
    Error codes for lean banks on one and two flashed up. Was advised to try without new throttle body, and it has been ok for three weeks. Now the code has come up for lean bank one only..
    I thought the PCM would cope with these changes quite easilly. Has anyone else had these problems and know the answer to harmony being restored. We dont get a long summer here in the uk and I want to get out there and 'eat some rice' soon...

Crinkle, Crinkle

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Triple and quadruple check for air leaks behind the maf and around the throttle body. Very likely that's the culprit. Also, what kind of gains did they promise with that maf and throttle body?

An old trick is to use an unlit propane torch to help find intake leaks.

I don't know how much you paid for that programmer, but if you're going to keep the car for awhile, you might be interested to look at the HPTuners site. It blows away everything else, no contest. Not only can you tune the car right, but you can look at what's happening in real time and see why it is throwing the codes. In your case, it might pay for itself the first time out.

Good luck!

Silver
    2002 Z28

The MAF, air box, and K&N are designed to flow better... This would make the car lean because now you have more air than fuel. I have had lean problems with the K&N, or so I thought. In reality, the oil you coat the K&N with gets onto the MAF wires and fucks with it. Try cleaning the MAF wires with alcohol (the wires on the inside, duh lol). Be very careful with it. Your best bet would be to just ditch the MAF, TB, and Hypertech. Its not helping you any, and you could buy some mods that will actually help you out. Stock MAF and TB can handle bolts/heads/cam fine without mods.
    2002 Camaro Z28 A4

Navy blue metallic
    98 camaro ss vert

would it not be easier to swap back to a paper filter as the old maf would just get coated with oil again? and keep whatever gains I get from the new maf and throttle body however moderate they are.
    would the PCM compensate for the lean running, if the oil coating issue was rseolved?

Navy blue metallic
    98 camaro ss vert

they promised 10-15 hp for each mod.

will check once again for air leaks after I've cleaned the maf from oil and reassembled.

how does the old propane trick work, cant work that one out? sounds a bit bizzare...

not sure I trust myself with the hp tuner without any support from a good shop.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Cant really listen to what they promise, but a fully modded car might be able to get some gains like that, but those promised amounts are usually flywheel and they overlap. If 3 things involving intake promise 5 each, together they may only be 7 each. MAF are tricky subjects, wouldnt mess with them. And if you do, prolly need it tuned out. Clean it after running with a freshly oiled filter, it should only do it right after you oil.

Thread Information