Red
    1998 Trans Am

Should I do this?

Alright, my motor has about 180,xxx miles on it so i've been considering a rebuild. However, I just came across an LS1 about an hour and a half away from me with 70,xxx for $2000. The guy said he upgraded to a 6.0 stroker so he has no need for the LS1 anymore. Sound like a good idea?

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by 1998T/A View Post
    Alright, my motor has about 180,xxx miles on it so i've been considering a rebuild. However, I just came across an LS1 about an hour and a half away from me with 70,xxx for $2000. The guy said he upgraded to a 6.0 stroker so he has no need for the LS1 anymore. Sound like a good idea?
    Talk him down you don't need all the accesories,get new bearings for the crank and rods and some new ARP Bolts for the rods and your good to go another 200,000 miles.
    2010 Camaro SIM 2SS/RS A6
    1999 TA A4 NBM
    12.265 at 110.52mph

Red
    1998 Trans Am

New bearings for the rod/crank and bolts for my motor or for his? I mean as far as I know there's nothing wrong with mine, I'm just leery about the mileage for when I do H/C

NBM
    1999 TA A4

New bearings for the rod/crank and bolts for my motor or for his? I mean as far as I know there's nothing wrong with mine, I'm just leery about the mileage for when I do H/C
    For the newer low mile engine,that way you know the bottom end is fresh and you can do your H/C later with piece of mind.

Keep your engine and freshen it just in case you ever need another replacement.

Red
    1998 Trans Am

Ok just making sure. Sorry for all the questions but I have to ask this now. Would you think my motor would be reliable with a h/c swap if I changed the oil pump, timing chain, new bearings, and rod bolts? Or would there still be worry about the rings, rods, and pistons?

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Ok just making sure. Sorry for all the questions but I have to ask this now. Would you think my motor would be reliable with a h/c swap if I changed the oil pump, timing chain, new bearings, and rod bolts? Or would there still be worry about the rings, rods, and pistons?
    The problem with the 98's is there is only room for a 10/1000ths overbore.

Why not throw those new parts at an engine that has 1/2 the mileage?

I have been down this road before,get the bottom end right before you do the top end or you will be doing both ends again and for a lot more money.

Thread Information