Awaiting Activation

red
    2000transam

shaking in steering wheel after 55

Hello, i have a 2000 t/a 26,000 miles .I have shaking in steering after 55 but seems to go away between 70 and up.I balance wheels and cut rotor i thought the driverside inner tie rod had more play than the other so i replace with oe part and the vibration is still there .Is it possiblethere could be a problem beyond the inner tierod where it thread in at?I have the prokit with koni s/a sams 35/22 swaybars ,i cant rule out that there a problem with any of the upgraded parts because i notice this problem before i did any of the work.I'm also at the moment using americanracing rebel wheels with kdw2 275/35/18 . I've also putthe stock back on and no luck both set of wheel have been balance . service shop also seem clueless including dealer any recommendation at this point would be greatly appreciated thankyou.

99 Firebird Formula

Driveshaft perhaps.

white
    1999 Trans AM 30th anniv.

if only steering wheel shakes and not seats or you dont feel it in you butt, has to be front end related, when you put stock wheels on were they different tires.if so you better ck for a bent front hub, raise car and spin tires ck for run out

Awaiting Activation

red
    2000transam

HELLO,thanks for the respond yes the vibration is only in the steering wheel.Stock tires are goodyear rsa 245/60/zr16 tires are original tire purchased on the car, car was brand new. I'll check the hub out tomm. steering wheel moves left to right vibration not a whole lot but about 1/4 inch movement each way.seems to go away at 70 and up strange.thank for all input i'm gonna inspect the frontend because i'm sure this is frontend related .Maybe the hub because i hit a hole the water dept had left sued and got some money but never recover for this shaking.i do recall shaking started awhile later after this happened.thankyou for your input.
    Last edited by ou812; 04-19-2006 at 07:34 PM.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

It could be a wheel balance problem.

SteveC

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

my friend had a firebird, same probs, ended up being wheel balance issues

Awaiting Activation

red
    2000transam

HELLO, thank again for your input just to satisfy myself i'm gonna switch the front wheels with the stock ,they been balance less then 300 miles ago that was the reason i got the 16s balance because of the shaking, but like i said both sets of wheels 16 and 18 have been balance.Also rotors have been cut and i dont feel it in the brake pedal.Cant hurt to check the wheels again .sometimes i wonder about the balancing also thankyou all .
    Last edited by ou812; 04-20-2006 at 08:13 PM.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

I would vote for wheel balancing as well.

Every once and a while I have lost a wheel balance, usually within the first hundred miles. It happens.. if they are hammer ons, they can fly off, if they are 'stickies' they may not have adhered properly.

Awaiting Activation

red
    2000transam

Hello again , problem seem fixed after i put the stock wheels back on the front.I could have sworn i did this already and still had the vibration.Maybe i did , this time i took two wheels that had the wieght visible on them and use those .Only two that had wieght on them . thankyou all
    Last edited by ou812; 04-21-2006 at 05:23 PM.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Just because there are no weights visible, does not necessarily mean you have an out of balance problem. LOL when all the planets line up just right (actually when you have a wheel and tire that perfectly cancel each other out) you can get by without needing any weight added.

Sounds like you isolated it down to 2 wheels. Most shops will rebalance for free if they have been done recently.

Awaiting Activation

red
    2000transam

This is good to know about the wheel weight thanks.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Probably a broken belt in the tire. When you have the balance checked look for a tread out of line in the tire that hit the pothole. Sometimes it can't be seen,but will stop the vibration when the tire is replaced. Have them check the balance before pulling the old weights off also. Hitting the pothole can damage the tire which could take awhile before showing up as a vibration. Of course the wheel could be bent,I'm assuming that this stuff has been checked,or the hub could be bent,this would have shown up immediately. Sometimes it's difficult to get someone knowledgeable interested in checking this stuff out.

Awaiting Activation

red
    2000transam

thanks for all your help

Black
    1999 Corvette

I had a s-10 one time, that did the exact same thing at 55 it vibrated and about 70 it stopped. I went to the tire shop over and over. What it ended up being was that i kept slinging off the weights. I had to use stick ons.

Thread Information