Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SES problems

Silver
    1999 Pontiac Trans am

SES problems

hello everyone...I am having some issues with my ses light. I did a scan check and came up with a bad 02 sensor, bank one sensor one, coil misfire, and a bad TPS. I replaced all of those and then took it for a drive, after about 10 miles the ses light went off and I thought everything was fine and that I could go get the car inspected, then about 10 miles later the SES light came back on...I jhavent checked the codes yet, just lookin for any insight. Thanks

Chris

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Scan it.
    Minor things such as the fuel cap not tight can throw an SES.

Bob

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Did they reset your codes? If they didn't you can turn your switch on and open your hood and locate your pcm batt and pcm ign fuses and pull them. Leave the switch on and wait a few minutes then cut the ign off and replace the fuses. When you crank it it may take a few minutes to relearn the system.

Silver
    1999 Pontiac Trans am

no I didnt reset my codes, I have to take it for emission inspection and if u reset the codes the machine they use will fail the car cuz it says the computer isnt ready to read...I heard I have to drive it for a complete drive cycle i.e 100 iles before the computer in my car will reset it self. the light went off on its own after 10 miles so im not sure what it is

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

I don't know what to tell you. I luckily don't have to deal with emissions. But what about a dealer or one of the local parts stores resetting them. Cars throw codes all the time and they get reset, but I don't know about that part of it.

Scan it and post the code(s). If you have the type of inspection that only reads codes from the PCM you need to look at www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html before getting inspected too.

Silver
    1999 Pontiac Trans am

Ok, I scanned it again. it still came back with a bad TPS, bad o2 sensor bank one sensor one, it said it had a multiple cylinder misfire, and a low catalyst threshold on bank 2. any thoughts. I just replaced one the coil on cyl 8, the o2 sensor on bank one, and the TPS sensor

Silver
    1999 Pontiac Trans am

I drove the car 160 miles and re scanned, Im getting two codes which are the same codes, p0430 which says its a catalyst efficency threshhold on bank 2...Thanks

P0430 is usually a bad passenger side cat, but can also be the post cat 02 on rare occasion. Stock cats are covered under the federal emissions warranty for 8 yrs/80K and the dealer will replace it free. I have two friends that had P0420 (drivers side cat) that had their's replaced.

Silver
    1999 Pontiac Trans am

thats too bad, I have 0ver 80K on my trans am

Well shoot, call around for the best price on a replacement. If you don't want to do it yourself the muffler chain stores like midas will do it. Hey, you're down to the last code...

Silver
    1999 Pontiac Trans am

well, now that I have the converter, how do I replace it...the one thats on the car is welded in place....need some help on what to do now..thanks

Chris

red
    00 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by doggles13
    hello everyone...I am having some issues with my ses light. I did a scan check and came up with a bad 02 sensor, bank one sensor one, coil misfire, and a bad TPS. I replaced all of those and then took it for a drive, after about 10 miles the ses light went off and I thought everything was fine and that I could go get the car inspected, then about 10 miles later the SES light came back on...I jhavent checked the codes yet, just lookin for any insight. Thanks

Chris
    turn your ignition to the on position , do not start the car, press the gas pedal to wide open throttle slowly 3 times, then turn the key off. wait a few seconds and then start the car. This well reset your pcm. hope this helps.

If you were stock you'd be able to just bolt it in. Doubt they welded it to the stock exhaust manifold, probably just at the rear of the cat where it connects? If that's the case you'll have to have it cut, bolt it to the manifold, and rewelded.

Silver
    1999 Pontiac Trans am

I put the cat on....since then the ses light has stayed on...so I scanned it...it is still telling me that the catalyst is below threshold (p0430), only now when I read it its only gives me one code....before it was giving me 2 of the same codes, anyone know what could be the problem?

Did they clear the code? If not I'd do a manual reset like stated above and see if you can get it to stay off:

Turn key on, don't start car
    Pull PCM BATT and PCM IGN fuses in engine compartment
    Wait 5-10 min
    Turn ignition off
    Replace fuses

Car will be a little "grumpy" until it relearns the idle. Sending you a PM.

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

did this just happen outta the blue or did you add headers or something?

Silver
    1999 Pontiac Trans am

No it didnt happen out of the blue or anything, and no they didnt clear the codes....I can clear them with my scanner, I just wanted to wait....I just thought that it was odd that I had 2 of the same codes come up...I thought that putting the cat on would solve it, it have already solved it and I just need to drive the car a little longer and let the computer relearn itself... Im going to go clear out the codes and drive it for a while...Ill tell u how it is tomorrow

Silver
    1999 Pontiac Trans am

Oh and its stock...I havent done anything to the car so far yet

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Convertibl

Quote Originally Posted by sscrazy
    turn your ignition to the on position , do not start the car, press the gas pedal to wide open throttle slowly 3 times, then turn the key off. wait a few seconds and then start the car. This well reset your pcm. hope this helps.
    That is to reset some "change oil" lights but not "SES" codes

Thread Information