Ses Light Codes P0140 / P0158

This is a discussion on Ses Light Codes P0140 / P0158 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have a 98 trans-am mostly all stock. Autozone says i need new 02 sensors, anyone know if these codes ...

italjoe98

Ses Light Codes P0140 / P0158

I have a 98 trans-am mostly all stock. Autozone says i need new 02 sensors, anyone know if these codes are bad 02 sensors. Mt car has 98,000 but had been sitting for 2 years.

Those are both post cat (rear) 02 sensor codes - did you try just clearing them and see if they come back - maybe because the car has been sitting so long or something? Do you still have cats?

P0140 - Insufficient Switching Bank 1, Sensor 2
    P0158 - Circuit High Voltage Bank 2, Sensor 2

Awaiting Activation
    Yea - reset the codes and wait a little. Don't go buy the 02 sensors and waste $100+ . I had two similar 02 codes on my 99 Z28. I forgot the numbers but they were bank 2 sensor 2 and bank 1 sensor 2. I stupidly went out and bought two new ones. I reset the codes and they came right back - what a waste of money. The actual problem wasn't not the 02 sensors that it told me. All I had to do was clean my MAF and that was it. I don't know if this will fix your problem too but its much cheaper to try than new 02 sensors. I used electronic contact cleaner that you can find at radio shack. Its less than $10 - just be careful not to touch those sensors. They are very delecate - just spray the cleaner on them and less it dry itself.

italjoe98
    Thanks for the info, I cleaned the MAF sensor with some electric contact cleaner. Let it air dry and when i fired it up the ses light was off. So far so good

Awaiting Activation
    Glad I could help. Keep me posted if it works or comes back.

Chameleon
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I have the same problem. I'm going to try the contact cleaner tomorrow and see what happens! Thanks

Thread Information