Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SES Flashing, Lean bank 1, Misfire #6 running poorly

This is a discussion on SES Flashing, Lean bank 1, Misfire #6 running poorly within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I wouldn't run the car at all. Tuning issues should be resolved by the original tuner or by Frost. Honestly, ...

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I wouldn't run the car at all. Tuning issues should be resolved by the original tuner or by Frost. Honestly, I would pull the PCM and send it to frost. Don't go throwing money away for something that is tuner related.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I agree, but a tuner cannot work miracles on a car that is not mechanically sound either. I really think he needs to determine the root cause first before a re-tune, otherwise he may be throwing money out the window.
    It's on jackstands.

On the hunt

I am waiting to hear back from Frost about ordering a pre tuned PCM so I can continue to trouble shoot. As mentioned before, I have a laundry list of things that need to be done so I am going to work on those and see if I can come across or fix the issue with those issues.

OPSU replacement
    Replace Intake gaskets and seals and clean up mess from OPSU
    PCV System replacement

On the hunt

Riddle me this. If the rear 02s were not deleted in my tune, that will cause the computer to think I have CATs. Since I do NOT have CATs the computer is not reading the o2s correctly. Since the car starts up and runs normal until the O2s are warm and then dumps, wouldn't that be my culprit? Doesn't a bad O2 read lean out once warm?

I obviously am having a tune done by Frost. But does that make sense?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

The rear O2's will not affect performance, only throw an SES light. The front O2's control the A/F ratio, and will affect performance.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

You may have an issue with one or both of the front O2's, but removing the cats and not tuning the car shouldn't cause your issue.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Agree with Walt.

On the hunt

So I think we agree that a Frost tune will obviously be needed, however will more than likely not be my fix. Before I go tearing into things and spending days on getting parts and fixing things, what should my next step be?

If the car is starting and running normal, but then leaning out... Can we remove compression test from the list?
    If the car is starting and running normal, but then leaning out... Can we remove the coil pack, plugs and wires from the list?
    again, can we remove broken valve spring and / or valve if the car runs normal then leans out?

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Hopefully you DON'T have a broken valve spring. That could be a pucker moment. Hopefully it's just a fouled pre-cat O2.

On the hunt

So this evening I pulled the intake manifold off to get to the OPSU which did break off when taking it out. I also found what I think could be the cause of my issue. I found two decent size pieces of paper inside the intake port of the block. How they got there and how they didn't get sucked all the way threw is fascinating. I couldn't believe the amount of crap there was on the valley cover.

On the hunt

Quote Originally Posted by bhunter0830 View Post
    So this evening I pulled the intake manifold off to get to the OPSU which did break off when taking it out. I also found what I think could be the cause of my issue. I found two decent size pieces of paper inside the intake port of the block. How they got there and how they didn't get sucked all the way threw is fascinating. I couldn't believe the amount of crap there was on the valley cover.

Click for full sizeClick for full size
    Here is the paper I had pulled out from the inlet that was between the intake and block... How'd that get in there?

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know how to remove the broke OPSU that is still in the block with out dropping chunks into the block?

On the hunt

Cleaned up the valley plate and the intake tonight.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Wow. Yea I'd say having that in the intake would definitely cause havoc. Glad you were able to remove it easily.

On the hunt

Any idea on how I can effectively clean the intake itself?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Any idea on how I can effectively clean the intake itself?
    Soak it overnight in a small tub filled with simple green or any degreaser mixture. Use the same to actually clean it. A small toilet brush or something similar will get it spotless. Rinse with water when you're done and let it dry before reinstalling.
    Last edited by 35th-ANV-SS; 06-14-2012 at 05:44 AM.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Soak it overnight in a small tub filled with simple green or any degreaser mixture. Use the same to actually clean it. A small toilet brush or something similar will get it spotless. Rinse with water when you're done and let it dry before reinstalling.
    Even if this was your main cause of problem, I would still send control module to Frost. As everyone has said so far, his tune is on the money and worth the piece of mind that everything has been checked professionally. Would be interested in his opinion of current state of tune. My turn around time with him has been great. He seems to under state turn around (to keep away all of the impatient clients) and then over deliver with exceptional speed. One of the most honest vendors I've dealt with. If he makes an error, he will make it good no matter what it takes.
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'll second Frost

On the hunt

The PCM was sent to Frost on Tuesday morning. He should have it tomorrow and hopefully I have everything put back together in time for it go get back next week. I do have one hold up. I was missing the back half of the PCV system. Does anyone know where it goes into on the back side? I'll soak the intake overnight in some simple green. I need to get the vacuum off the back of it first.

On the hunt

The PCM was sent to Frost on Tuesday morning. He should have it tomorrow and hopefully I have everything put back together in time for it go get back next week. I do have one hold up. I was missing the back half of the PCV system. Does anyone know where it goes into on the back side? I'll soak the intake overnight in some simple green. I need to get the vacuum off the back of it first.
    Scratch that. Brilliant engineering by placing the PCV inlet under a bracket that needs to be removed with a 15mm and 10mm bold.

On the hunt

Does anyone know what the small vacuum lines are on the back of the intake. The large one is obviously for the break booster. There are three small vacuum lines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information