Thread: SES code

Black
    2000 Z-28

SES code

My service engine soon light just came on the other day and I got the codes diagnosed and it read P0171 and P0174, system too lean on bank 1 and 2. Not sure what this means, can anyone help me figure it out?

black
    2002 WS6

It means that the air fuel ratio as measured in the exhaust to too far to the lean side. IE not enough fuel. Could be many reason behind that. Any other problems?

Red
    2000 Camaro SS # 5,876

have you had the car tuned and whats your mods?

Black
    2000 Z-28

Well the car still drives fine and I haven't noticed anything wrong other than the light coming on. Yes the car was tuned probably 5 months ago for all the mods I had and I haven't had any codes until now. Mods are LT's, ORY, magnaflow, LS6 manifold, pp tb, lid w/ filter, FTRA, plugs, wires, catch can, O2's and descreened MAF...that's about it.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Try getting some MAF cleaner and clean your Mass Air Flow sensor, clear your codes and see if it recurs. Need a scanner to clear your codes, or some autoparts stores will do it for you, like Autozone.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Try getting some MAF cleaner and clean your Mass Air Flow sensor, clear your codes and see if it recurs. Need a scanner to clear your codes, or some autoparts stores will do it for you, like Autozone.
    Yeah someone mentioned cleaning the MAF but someone else suggested it may be a vacuum leak. My filter has not had any oil since it's been in my posession though (5 months or so) and I'm wondering why it'd suddenly be causing a problem w/ the MAF now. Not sure which direction I should head in terms of looking for the problem or if I need to get it to a tuner to determine what's wrong.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Just do both of those first. They are both almost free.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Just do both of those first. They are both almost free.
    Yeah I'll try the MAF cleaner just to make sure. I diagnosed the problem w/ the handheld today from AutoZone and got those codes, can that diagnostic tool also clear them?

Black
    2000 Z-28

Will disconnecting the battery help it to reset?

Black
    2000 Z-28

Not sure if it matters or not but I also deleted the EGR and AIR.

black
    2002 WS6

If the tuner knew what they were doing and those were removed before the tune, it, shouldn't cause the issue unless something wasn't caped off properly.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    If the tuner knew what they were doing and those were removed before the tune, it, shouldn't cause the issue unless something wasn't caped off properly.
    Could it be coming from something like the PVC catch can? Maybe the hose became detached?

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

If the MAF sensor is clean it just means that you have un metered air entering you system. Check all vacuum lines. I had that problem once, it ended up being that the hose for my PCV valve was corroded and had a samll hole in it. I had a hard time finding it cause the hole was on the back side so I couldnt see the damn thing. Pulling the battery cable might/might not reset your PCM. Instead try this:

Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
    The way to reset the pcm is to first turn the key on (not cranked) then remove the "pcm ign" and "pcm bat" fuses from the fuse boxes located in the engine bay on the drivers side (in front of fender), then turn key off, replace fuses then start her up. Your PCM is now reset. If you had any code showing (SES) before... it should now be gone now.. if it comes back on then you need to have the code scanned so you can pinpoint the problem and correct it. Once corrected you can reset the PCM again to see if you solved the issue. The computer will relearn everything including anything previously programmed such as with LS1edit.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanWs7 View Post
    If the MAF sensor is clean it just means that you have un metered air entering you system. Check all vacuum lines. I had that problem once, it ended up being that the hose for my PCV valve was corroded and had a samll hole in it. I had a hard time finding it cause the hole was on the back side so I couldnt see the damn thing. Pulling the battery cable might/might not reset your PCM. Instead try this:

Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
    The way to reset the pcm is to first turn the key on (not cranked) then remove the "pcm ign" and "pcm bat" fuses from the fuse boxes located in the engine bay on the drivers side (in front of fender), then turn key off, replace fuses then start her up. Your PCM is now reset. If you had any code showing (SES) before... it should now be gone now.. if it comes back on then you need to have the code scanned so you can pinpoint the problem and correct it. Once corrected you can reset the PCM again to see if you solved the issue. The computer will relearn everything including anything previously programmed such as with LS1edit.
    Thanks I'll definitely try that method after I've cleaned the MAF and checked the PCV lines.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Well I cleaned the MAF and then checked the catch can and found that the wing nut at the bottom was not tightned so I tightened it up. I took out the pcm ign and pcm bat fuses and put them back as per the instructions. The SES light still came on so I guess I'm gonna have to take it by my mechanic for him to take a look at.

Thread Information