Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Service engine soon light ! why why why???

This is a discussion on Service engine soon light ! why why why??? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by denegrader Ok great i got the scanner i hooked it gave po430 catalyst inefficient threshold i believe ...

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by denegrader View Post
    Ok great i got the scanner i hooked it gave po430 catalyst inefficient threshold i believe bank 2 i believe cant say fer sure now cause i cleared it probably shouldnt have, anyways i been driving little since but aint come back,
    i went to dealer and he said forget the free catalytic replacement
    my cars an oi and he checked vin and said its too late my in service date was august 2000, he said $ 1,500 i said forget it .
    tried to sell me an new camaro. said these are better.
    light aint on but could pop up i bought smogged april 5th smogged april 7th it passed its good here in cali for 3 mos, maybe i should just sell it , just feel reading all these posts and troubles and expense w/ all thes f bodies well i dunno may have to just stick to my ole faithful 89 5.0
    Well it could be either that your o2 sensor is acting up or your cat in that side is going south. If the code hasnt comes back I will keep an eye on it but normally if the o2 sensors are bad the code will pop right back. I'm suspecting a bad cat.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

yeah $1500 is way too much. You can get headers even with high flow cats and a tune from Frost for less than that.

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

alright since my code aint back could i retrieve the code PO430 and read again exactly what it is think its bank 2 cat threshold inefficient.
    Now could i get a cat anywhere throw it on?
    Isn't it hard and expensive to replace?
    Where to buy what kind?
    This is cali i heard theres only c.a.r.b certified cats to install or it'll fail smog? Heard something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    Well it could be either that your o2 sensor is acting up or your cat in that side is going south. If the code hasnt comes back I will keep an eye on it but normally if the o2 sensors are bad the code will pop right back. I'm suspecting a bad cat.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

alright since my code aint back could i retrieve the code PO430 and read again exactly what it is think its bank 2 cat threshold inefficient.
    Now could i get a cat anywhere throw it on?
    Isn't it hard and expensive to replace?
    Where to buy what kind?
    This is cali i heard theres only c.a.r.b certified cats to install or it'll fail smog? Heard something like that?
    you can find OEM replacements but they are expensive. I was looking at them and it was like $400 per side. For me is cheaper to do the headers but I don't have smog test in FL. I'm sure that there is some aftermarket cats that you can put and it will legally pass the test. You might to get a tune. I'm not too familiar with Cali smog test but i know there is alot of members that have plenty of experience with this and will chime more info.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Summit Racing carries CARB certified cats. Relatively cheap too. Might want to check them out. As far as replacement, you can simply cut the pipe before and after the cat, remove it, install the new one in place, and secure with stainless band clamps.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

Right before u get the emission test. unplug ur battery, and it will clear the code for a short time..
    2002 Camaro SS A4 - SLP# 2951 l MS4 l LT's w/ORY l F.A.S.T 78 & TB l Borla l Cutout l CME l TCI 3500 l 3.23's l !emissions l !sway

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Question

great arent the stock pipes 2 @1/2 inch diameter?
    Arent the cats in between the engine and shocktower?
    sounds kinda tight?

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Summit Racing carries CARB certified cats. Relatively cheap too. Might want to check them out. As far as replacement, you can simply cut the pipe before and after the cat, remove it, install the new one in place, and secure with stainless band clamps.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Cats come off the exhaust manifold and join the Y pipe. The passenger cat is right by the starter and the drivers side is just a little farther down.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge91 View Post
    Right before u get the emission test. unplug ur battery, and it will clear the code for a short time..
    That does not work anymore. The OBDII emission scanner will show that the computer is "not ready" for testing and will need more miles put on it.

Navy Blue Metallic

Times like these I'm glad I live in AL. I hate emission crap

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    That does not work anymore. The OBDII emission scanner will show that the computer is "not ready" for testing and will need more miles put on it.
    Oh, well just an idea. Yea being in south al, no emissions here either.

Navy Blue Metallic

Sarge91, I'm practically in your neighborhood all the time and not seen ya'

Dillard's is having a cruise in tonight from 5:00pm till 8:00pm in Malbus Mall

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Sarge91, I'm practically in your neighborhood all the time and not seen ya'

Dillard's is having a cruise in tonight from 5:00pm till 8:00pm in Malbus Mall
    Yea I know. I try to make em. But my car has been down alot this year, and it's down right now

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Ok great i got the scanner i hooked it gave po430 catalyst inefficient threshold i believe bank 2 i believe cant say fer sure now cause i cleared it probably shouldnt have, anyways i been driving little since but aint come back,
    i went to dealer and he said forget the free catalytic replacement
    my cars an 01 and he checked vin and said its too late my in service date was august 2000, he said $ 1,500 i said forget it .
    Another salesman tried to sell me a new camaro. said these are better.
    Light aint on but could pop up i bought smogged april 5th smogged July 7th it passed its good here in cali for 3 mos, maybe i should just sell it , just feel reading all these posts and troubles and expense w/ all thes f bodies well i dunno may have to just stick to my ole faithful 89 5.0 hitchike take the bus or walk
    i dunno dunno dunno

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Now i,m hearing about cats here in califoreignia that O.E.M. specified cats are the only ones you can have now, don't know for a fact though.
    I heard even C.A.R.B. replacement wont be accepted not unless its O.E.M., not sure though if it is fact.
    It's this C.A.R.B intrusion i,m sure as usual here.
    Oh i forgot i,m supposed to go out side and drive to disneyland in the lovely cailiforeignia traffic and $4.50 a gallon premium gas

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You could try the sponsors and see about getting a replacement catted Y-pipe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information