Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Cool Service engine soon light ! why why why???

Had this thing a month noticed few oil drops now service engine soon light stays on.
    I am not used to new cars,
    My last for 15 years an old 89 ford.
    I am going to give it away free
    this thing wont pass smog test i hear in cali with any light like this on.
    How the hell can i sell it like this.
    This is exactly why i refused to buy a new ish car.
    Its goin on the auction block take it.
    i know i sound like an irrational type who aint level headed , actualy i am but i just dont want it aint gonna have it so im selling it if anyone wants it come get it!
    Never a new car again 89 or older only!!!
    I,m gonna give it away.
    It would be nice of anyone who may know why service engine light comes on and stays on?????
    I would apreciate any helpfull ideas if any one has an idea thanx

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

you'll need to go to a place like autozone and have the code read (they do this for free) and write down what the codes are and post them here...

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by denegrader View Post
    Had this thing a month noticed few oil drops now service engine soon light stays on.
    i know i sound like an irrational type who aint level headed , actualy i am but i just dont want it aint gonna have it so im selling it if anyone wants it come get it!
    I,m gonna give it away.
    It would be nice of anyone who may know why service engine light comes on and stays on?????
    I know how you feel about these newer vehicles with new technology. I went from a 88 Crown vic to a 94 grand marquis to my 98 TA. I was kinda of scared at the beginning as well. The good thing is that this SES light is a warning light that is kinda helpful to solve problems. The 1st thing you need is to either get the car scan like it was mentioned before or buy a scanner
    (what i did).

Once scanned a code or codes will comes up and they will be helpful to find out what is wrong. It could be as simple as the AIR valves getting stuck. The part is really cheap and easy to replace.

If the car is running fine it could be that your codes are related to emissions and/or AIR/EGR system.

Just get it scanned and post the codes. We will help you out to figure it out. That's the beauty of this site you have alot of members that had the same experience you are having and are willing to help out. Hang in there you will get it fix!

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

SES and drops of oil, eh? Let us know what you find. Almost sounds like your oil pressure sender is leaking. Sounds like a small issue to me, but I could be wrong.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

If you're giving the car away.....I got first dibs. I'll even come and pick it up

Get the codes, post them here, and we'll help you get it fixed. More than likely, it's some easy fix stuff.

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

its possible,
    Do these service engine lights just go off?
    Does reason light appears have to be found corrected, and cleared or light will remain?
    Isn't the obd11 just just a stringent smog emissions cop that alerts you your car wont pass smog unless ya get in there and scrape a piece of dust away or replace a part that ya cant even identify?
    Isn't this just E.P.A. and federal intrusion into our lives with anxiety and money out our wallets the real reason for more stingent smog equipment? Engine lights implemented to smog fail yer car along w/ car companys gettin their cut for parts and service also?
    Aint this conspiracy all aimed at us the poor workin slobs to squeeze every and any dollar we make or ever make?
    Wont i save more money if i give this car away now that way i wont have to be givin more money away later just to get rid of service engine soon lights?
    How often can this service engine soon lamp light?
    With all these issues maybe we are better off w/out air bags and cat converters at least we can get put out of our misery with a nice old fashioned fly through the window or good ole black lung instead of getting squeezed slowly tortured to death ?

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    If you're giving the car away.....I got first dibs. I'll even come and pick it up

Get the codes, post them here, and we'll help you get it fixed. More than likely, it's some easy fix stuff.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Talking

its possible,
    Does reason light appears have to be found corrected, and cleared or light will remain?
    Isn't the obd11 just just a stringent smog emissions cop that alerts you your car wont pass smog unless ya get in there and scrape a piece of dust away or replace a part that ya cant even identify?
    Isn't this just E.P.A. and federal intrusion into our lives with anxiety and money out our wallets the real reason for more stingent smog equipment? Engine lights implemented to smog fail yer car along w/ car companys gettin their cut for parts and service also?
    Aint this conspiracy all aimed at us the poor workin slobs to squeeze every and any dollar we make or ever make?
    Wont i save more money if i give this car away now that way i wont have to be givin more money away later just to get rid of service engine soon lights?
    With all these issues maybe we are better off w/out air bags and cat converters at least we can get put out of our misery with a nice old fashioned fly through the window or good ole black lung instead of getting squeezed slowly tortured to death ?
    I don't think I quite know how to reply......

All I do know is, I've never had a car that hasn't had a problem at some point. So I figure out what the problem is, and then fix it. If your car has so many problems, maybe the best thing to do would be to get rid of it. Sometimes that is the best thing to do.
    If you do decide to fix it, post up what problems you are having and we (the collective members of this site) will do our best to help you out.

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Red face

thanx apreciate it good advice got to be better than my ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    I don't think I quite know how to reply......

All I do know is, I've never had a car that hasn't had a problem at some point. So I figure out what the problem is, and then fix it. If your car has so many problems, maybe the best thing to do would be to get rid of it. Sometimes that is the best thing to do.
    If you do decide to fix it, post up what problems you are having and we (the collective members of this site) will do our best to help you out.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

its possible,
    lol i think you are getting upset for something simple. Yes, the SES light could mean something related with emissions but it also covers electrical issues. So stop getting mad and scan the car so we can help you or get rid of it. lol. you will be surprised how easy can it be to fix sometimes.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

opcorn:

Not sure if its intentional, but this fella's amusing. Subscribing to see the code.

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Thumbs up

zactly i called a shop here in s.f. bay area and he wants $55.00 to scan it,
    What ya think?
    I also was looking at those actron cp9125 , or 35, or 45 handheld scanners, i heard equis is ok too, you guys know anything about these or can any one suggest a good basic read code, and reset check engine light basic code reader?
    I wonder if these u380 obd11 readers will work i heard not for these 2001 camaros not sure?
    Anyways thanx for the help
    i'll check back later.

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    lol i think you are getting upset for something simple. Yes, the SES light could mean something related with emissions but it also covers electrical issues. So stop getting mad and scan the car so we can help you or get rid of it. lol. you will be surprised how easy can it be to fix sometimes.

hugger orange
    1999 camaro ss

Autozone will read it for free

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Any parts store (autozone, oreilly) should scan your code for free and give you the error message. He may help you or you can take the information and post it here. I'm almost positive once you provide the code, someone here will help you analyze your issue.

SOM
    2002 SS

Relax. The service engine light is telling you something. Without obd2 you could have been driving a car not running to it's potential and you could be losing performance and fuel economy for several years or even damaging the motor.

Yes any code reader should work. I picked one up local just today on the way on to work for $40. It told me my code and cleared the light. Now I know something is wrong and I'm trying to fix it. Check your local craigslist type 'obd2 scanner' and I can bet you'll find one or several.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

zactly i called a shop here in s.f. bay area and he wants $55.00 to scan it,
    What ya think?
    I also was looking at those actron cp9125 , or 35, or 45 handheld scanners, i heard equis is ok too, you guys know anything about these or can any one suggest a good basic read code, and reset check engine light basic code reader?
    I wonder if these u380 obd11 readers will work i heard not for these 2001 camaros not sure?
    Anyways thanx for the help
    i'll check back later.
    for $55 you can buy or put some extra bucks and buy you a decent scanner. Like mentioned before most auto parts scan it for free. If you do get one is very simple to use. Underneath the steering wheel at the end of the dash you will see a black electrical connector. That the OBDII connector. just plug in the scanner there. Turn the ignition switch all the way to "on" and press the read button on the scanner. The scanner will read the codes in memory and will display the code or codes.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

*waiting for codes*

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

My sister in law lives in Kalifornia and says auto zone will not scan ses or check engine lights in Kali. Had to send my scanner out there to check the code
    Posted via Mobile Device

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    My sister in law lives in Kalifornia and says auto zone will not scan ses or check engine lights in Kali. Had to send my scanner out there to check the code
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Just another reason that California sucks. And that is reason #3,167 if anyone is keeping track. To the poor guy in Cali, you should go buy a scan tool. They sell them at the auto parts stores. Pick a middle of the road one. They will work on all OBDII's. So, it is good on all the new cars.

Red
    1999 trans am

I bought my car in march and was on my way home when check engine light came on. I did not know when I bought it the cats were missing. so I got ahold of the seller and they ageed to split the price to fix that but ses was still on had it scaned at autozone for free code was p1416 secondary air injection bank 2. all it needed was a 17 dollar check valve that was 400 hundred miles ago. so could be something cheap like that.

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

I,m gonna give it away.
    Ok great i got the scanner i hooked it gave po430 catalyst inefficient threshold i believe bank 2 i believe cant say fer sure now cause i cleared it probably shouldnt have, anyways i been driving little since but aint come back,
    i went to dealer and he said forget the free catalytic replacement
    my cars an oi and he checked vin and said its too late my in service date was august 2000, he said $ 1,500 i said forget it .
    tried to sell me an new camaro. said these are better.
    light aint on but could pop up i bought smogged april 5th smogged april 7th it passed its good here in cali for 3 mos, maybe i should just sell it , just feel reading all these posts and troubles and expense w/ all thes f bodies well i dunno may have to just stick to my ole faithful 89 5.0

Thread Information