Burgundy
    86 Monte

Unhappy Service Engine Soon Light On ???"s

I have a 2001 Camaro Z28 with 91K miles on it,the only mods on it are K&N filter,SLP air lid,SLP MAF sensor and SLP cat back exhaust,I was driving the car the other day and the Service Engine Soon light came on and I went to Advance Auto and checked the light and the codes P0171 bank 1 too lean and P0174 bank 2 too lean was given,what do these codes means and which bank is which?THANKS

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Have you had a tune for the SLP MAF? If not that could be the cause since it is much larger than the stock MAF plus aftermarket units usually need a good tune to work properly and even then they sometimes don't. I actually would ditch the slp MAF and either go back to the factory one or get a SD tune to get rid of the MAF all together. You could also clean your MAF and see if that helps. I would also check you O2 sensors.

The codes mean that you car has detected a lean condition on each side of the car. I believe bank one is the drivers and bank two is the passengers iirc. This means there is too much air and not enough fuel coming in, that us why I mentioned the tune. A lean condition can cause engine detonation. Damaged O2s can cause a false code though.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 06-30-2012 at 11:24 AM.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Will is correct. Generally speaking, the O2 sensor is responsible for "reporting" the lean condition to the PCM. The PCM will try to correct for this, but only within certain parameters. If the O2 sensors are reporting a false lean condition, then the problem could be with the O2 sensors themselves, or with the MAF, if it is reporting less air than it is actually taking in to the PCM.

As it happens, the MAF's inputs are given top priority by the PCM, so if it is "lying," everything else will be skewed.

I don't necessarily agree with getting it tuned out, but a tune to account for the "upgrade" could definitely fix the problem, if the PCM is misinterpreting the SLP's MAF readings.

Given that both banks are showing lean, rather than individual cylinders, I would check the MAF first (clean it with some MAF cleaner), then clear the codes and see if they come back. If they do, you may need a tune. If a tune doesn't fix it, both your front O2 sensors may be bad.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Agree with Naaman. A GM MAF is highly recommended, as aftermarket ones tend to cause problems. Also, swap out the K&N filter for a paper one. The oil on the filter will get on the MAF's sensors, causing problems as well.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Everytime I remember that I've got a K&N type filter, I consider changing it back to a paper one.... They are a PITA to maintain.

Burgundy
    86 Monte

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Everytime I remember that I've got a K&N type filter, I consider changing it back to a paper one.... They are a PITA to maintain.
    I have had the car tuned with the SLP MAF sensor on it, I will try to clean the MAF sensor and see what happens,how do I CLEAR the codes after I clean the MAF sensor?THANKS

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I think it's the O2 sensors. I have a SLP MAF and when the engine is cold and I give it more then 1/2 throttle the SES light will come on. The code id for MAF not lean banks. After a drive cycle the SES light will go out by itself. It happens so often I do not even reset it anymore.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Burgundy
    86 Monte

How do I reset the SES light?THANKS

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Yep, I agree. Sooner or later the MAF will get a slight build up on it's surface that you might not be even able to see with a casual look. There's just no way you can avoid a build up with an oil charged filter. CRC the MAF and the Throttle Body but more importantly send it to Frost whether the light goes out or not.
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by dickeymoore View Post
    How do I reset the SES light?THANKS
    Take it to autozone and hook up the scanner. The scanner will have the option to delete the codes.
    Last edited by Naaman; 07-02-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Thread Information