Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

Service Engine Light on....Please help

Had Autozone scan the car. It read:

Air system bank 2 fault

Causes: AIR pump electrical fault, blocked AIR system, failed AIR pump

This is the third time I've seen this code. The first was about 2 years ago when both of the cats went bad. I had them both replaced by the dealership cause they were under warranty. Then later that week of getting the cats fixed the light came on again. They replaced the O2 sensor this time. Now the stupid light is on again.

Anyone else have problems like this?

I don't think its the cats or O2 sensor again, because the car still get 19 mpg in the city.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

I've got a left blown cat also. SES is glowin like a mother fucker but, I dont care.

Lpp Headers and ORY next month.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Check valves/air pump itself..

I dont have any of those parts and I throw the codes.. i wonder why

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Easiest way to check the system is as follows:

1) Disconnect the air hose that runs on top of your driver side wheel well -- there is a connector in that area and you can simply unplug the hose. Start the car and see if you have air blowing from the hose that runs up from the headlight area.

2) If you have airflow there, your pump is good. If not, check fuses, relays and connectors first before assuming that the pump is bad. Pump access is through the bottom panel in front of the driver side tire.

3) If you have air flow, then shut down and reconnect the hose. Now, one at a time, check the hoses where they go into the AIR Check Valves. On each side of the engine, you have a tube running up from the exhaust manifold to a canister (the AIR Check Valve). On the back side of each canister you can disconnect the hose by pulling the plastic clip. Again, start the car and check for airflow from the hose.

4) If you have flow, then it is definitely the check valves(s). If there is no flow, then trace the lines back and you will see that they go to a plastic vacuum operated canister, that is in turn controlled by an electrical solenoid which supplies a vacuum signal to the canister. Either the solenoid, or canister, can also go bad. First thing to do would be to check the solenoid for voltage on startup, and then for vacuum to and from the solenoid with a vacuum gauge (or your finger).

Pewter
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

so the problem is with the air pump. checked it today had no air coming out of the hose on the wheel well. Does anyone know if the codes will stay on if i pull the system out and block of the holes on the motor?

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by jamesg1750 View Post
    so the problem is with the air pump. checked it today had no air coming out of the hose on the wheel well. Does anyone know if the codes will stay on if i pull the system out and block of the holes on the motor?
    Yes it will.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

You can send your PCM to Frost (http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/services2.htm)and have that system tuned out and your SES light won't come on. Or I have my old AIR pump from my '99 Formula. If anyone can confirm that its the same for your 2001 Trans Am, i'd sell it to you cheap.

Pewter
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

Okay this is funny i bought the new pump but i decided to check the hose that supposed to pump out air one last time. Now the stock pump is working again. So it must be a broken wire or something.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I know the pump is supposed to come on after cold start up... not sure if it runs after the vehicle is warmed up and re-started. Was your initial pump test with a warm engine? Someone else can chime in on this too as I am not certain without checking my service manual...

Pewter
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

Yes i believe it may have been warm, but being that the pump has to do with emissions i think it would run all the time to lower emissions. Does anyone else know for sure if it stay on or turns off?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Yes i believe it may have been warm, but being that the pump has to do with emissions i think it would run all the time to lower emissions. Does anyone else know for sure if it stay on or turns off?
    Air Pump is there to heat the cats up. Mine would stay on when I first started the car and sometimes if a idled somewhere i would here the solenoid kick on and off. It has two relays that could possibly be bad as well.

Pewter
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

So i decided i was gonna take it to my cousins shop to see if it was a back O2 sensor causing the problem.

Then i decided to put the stock MAF back on to see if the problem went away, which it did not. But i seen a post about cleaning the MAF. So i cleaned my stock MAF then put it back on and no no service engine light so far. Let hope it stays off.

How much power does my car need to be putting out to have the SLP MAF on it. just curious if anyone knows

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I think I've heard that the stock MAF is good for 500hp. Basically don't change out the stock MAF unless you have a good reason to do it.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I think I've heard that the stock MAF is good for 500hp. Basically don't change out the stock MAF unless you have a good reason to do it.
    After 500hp its time to go SD...

white

Had Autozone scan the car. It read:

Air system bank 2 fault

Causes: AIR pump electrical fault, blocked AIR system, failed AIR pump

This is the third time I've seen this code. The first was about 2 years ago when both of the cats went bad. I had them both replaced by the dealership cause they were under warranty. Then later that week of getting the cats fixed the light came on again. They replaced the O2 sensor this time. Now the stupid light is on again.

Anyone else have problems like this?

I don't think its the cats or O2 sensor again, because the car still get 19 mpg in the city.

did u check the air pump fuse???

Pewter
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

yep both the fuse and relay were both good...just swapped the fuel pump relay with the air pump relay....car started so i knew the relay was good...so far driven 60 miles and light is still off hopefully it stays off

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what was the actual code number? The air pump just runs at start up then shuts off. The other stuff you're changing and swapping has no relation to the air system. That number will tell you where to start looking most likely.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

I have an lt1 but I did have the light coming on intermittenly for the air pump. It was tested and was ok. I eventually had it changed and it has been fine ever since.

Pewter
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

the scanner read the code P1416
    Last edited by jamesg1750; 05-07-2009 at 08:15 AM.

Thread Information