Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Serpentine belt

This is a discussion on Serpentine belt within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hi I wanted to write about my experience with my serpentine belt coming off. I bought the 2000 vette with ...

gold
    2000 corvette

Hi I wanted to write about my experience with my serpentine belt coming off. I bought the 2000 vette with 50,000 miles and drove it home and the belt started coming about half way off the tensioner. Upon inspection the harmonic balancer had a wobble. I ordered one and changed it. I got the 68 dollar one, the edges are not very high and it still has a small amount of wobble. It was a lot of work and I would but the better one if I did it again. When removing the steering rack you will need a 18mm tubing wrench. Sears has them. My belt continued to come off the tensioner. So I replaced the belt and tenioner with the 2006 tensioner, it has higher edges and fits well, The belt continued to come off the dampener. I was very upset, the belt alighnment looked good and there was just a small amount of wobble in the power steering pump. Upon further in spection I found the pully on the power steering pump had worked its way forward on the shaft 1/8 inch. The stock pully is plastic. its crap. the ls2 pully fits but is larger use the next belt size up. the pully was a pain in the ass to push back with the install tool because the abs is in the way. Unbolt it, the bolt that comes with the standard kit is too big its 3/8 by 16, buy a two inch hardened bolt and use the install tool to push on. Well it was a pain in the ass so I thought maybe this would help some one else with belt problems, I didnt it expect to have so many issues with just the belt but I guess the stock parts are kinda shitty.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I'm trying to remember the issue of GMHTP that covered this issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information